No announcement yet.

Why are Grown Men So Scared of Snakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most fears are not rational. I'm scared of heights. Can't walk up to the edge of a tall building or the Grand Canyon unless there's some kind of barrier there. So I'm not going to dog anyone about a fear of snakes just because I don't happen to share that particular fear. And even though I'm not afraid of them, I have most definitely been startled by them.

Comment

Scared no. MR No Shoulders has me respect. But they just do not have enough legs.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
        Irrational fear of the unknown.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        Best answer here. Same reason some of these same guys are scared of the dark.

Comment

its in our DNA lol if we weren't scared of things that can hurt or kill us we wouldn't be here as a species ha

Comment

Why are Grown Men So Scared of Snakes?

It's called the wussification of 'merica!

Comment

no problems with snakes, but scorpions is another story. I hate those little bastages.

Comment

I've learned to respect snakes for what they do to help control rat and mouse population. Being the husband of a biologist, my wife has converted me from the "kill em all" mentality. Rattlers and cottonmouths are still a kill on sight though.

Comment

Snakes are good, good for boots and belts. LOL. The one and only fear I have in the entire world is a dang snake. The main reason I don't shoot them is that it is hard to shoot at one while running backwards.
                  I got my fear from my older brother (14 years older) when I was very young. He would even run out of the room if a snake was on TV. When I had my two daughters, I didn't want them to get the same irrational fear I had so they didn't know I was scared. When we'd go to the zoo and the snake den was coming up, my 'first mistake' knew of my phobia and would take them into it while I went to the 'restroom', meeting them at the end. They didn't have a clue.
                  Well, fast forward to when my daughter saved her allowance and bought a dang snake and aquarium. My daughters were then informed of my silliness and the snake was returned. Hey, I'm getting goose bumps just writing about this stuff.

SH

Comment

It's Biblical

Comment

My fear of snakes goes back as far as I can remember. I was the first born grand kid on my dad's side and he and my uncles thought it was funny to mess with me with dead or sometimes live snakes they had caught or killed. They all grew up running around the everglades so snakes were common and they would catch and tame rat snakes keeping them as pets. Dad's tactics weren't all ineffective, him making me walk though the woods in the dark by myself as a kid got me over any fear of the dark I had. In recent years I have come to respect the job of snakes enough to let the non venomous ones go, but I still kill the venomous ones. I think over the years I have gotten over it some just like working construction got me over my fear of heights.

Comment

I don't like them or want to mess with them, I do let the good ones go and just steer clear. I have held some snakes and I just don't like the feel of them, nothing about them is something I want to play with. Never have cared for them.

I remember when I was young and driving my 110cc 3 wheeler through a swamp area. I looked down and saw nothing but a white mouth coming at my leg, he missed and ever since then I just have no desire to be near them lol stuck with me I guess.

Comment

Many have the dead snake = good snake attitude. A few months ago I stopped near my house to remove a big rat snake from the middle of the road before it got run over. I was standing there waiting for a car to pass when the lady driving it swerved across the road to run over it - right in front of me. She probably went home and told her husband she saved a guy's life who was about to get snakebit.

Comment

Little guy loves snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                              Many have the dead snake = good snake attitude. A few months ago I stopped near my house to remove a big rat snake from the middle of the road before it got run over. I was standing there waiting for a car to pass when the lady driving it swerved across the road to run over it - right in front of me. She probably went home and told her husband she saved a guy's life who was about to get snakebit.
                              Two weeks ago, while turkey hunting in Eden, I ran over 3 rattlers, one being a six footer. Sometimes, you have to swerve hard because they are fast. LOL.

Comment

Found a little grass snake in yard yesterday evening, grabbed him by the tail and moved him away unharmed. However, I did contemplate using him for bass bait!

Comment

Working...
                                X