Honey, Beekeeping and Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honey, Beekeeping and Family

I just made a late night PB+Honey sandwich. I actually never liked honey growing up, but a few years ago I took my Dad and FIL on an cheap Alaska fishing trip that changed that. On the first day at our remote fly-in cabin, we took a long hike to the beach and my dad brought along tortillas with PB and Honey in the middle. After a long hike, it was like eating a gift from God. Since that day, a good PB+Honey sandwich brings back memories of that awesome trip.

Tonight, I used honey from my first harvest, which happens to be from the same year my son was born. I thought I lost the hive but miraculously the bees rallied and I pulled my first frame of honey back in July on the last trip to the property before my son was born.

I gave 75% of the honey away to friends and family, but the last 25% I’ve savored here and there. I’m keeping 2x 4oz jars and placing them in long term storage (my wine cabinet) so that at some point in time my son and I can have some honey that is as old as he is. My plan is to keep the 2nd 4oz jar for my grand baby and son to share together (and me if I’m so lucky).

Before the PB+H sandwich, I rocked my only child to sleep tonight thinking about the 38 years I’ve lived that brought me to this point. It was a long, stressful road and I can’t thank God enough for bringing my son and wife into my life.

Life can be stressful, work can be consuming and sleep can been rare, but tonight... a peanut butter sandwich with honey never tasted so good.

Comment

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
        That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it.
        X2

Comment

Good job, honey is so good in so many ways. Take good care of your bees.

Comment

How did you start?
            Did you buy a nuc?
            If so, where?

I started two seasons ago with a nuc from beeweaver but was fortunate enough to do a couple strong splits and use VSH queens out of Baton Rouge since then

Comment

I wish I had time to keep bees. Everyone I know that does talks about it with enough passion that I know I'd be hooked!

Comment

Not a honey lover But great Plan/Story

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                  How did you start?
                  Did you buy a nuc?
                  If so, where?

I started two seasons ago with a nuc from beeweaver but was fortunate enough to do a couple strong splits and use VSH queens out of Baton Rouge since then
                  Powell Honey out of Mead, OK. http://www.powellfamilyhoney.com/Livebees.html

I bought a single NUC and my buddy bought 2 complete hives. If I did it again, I would buy 2 hives or maybe 2 NUCs. I’ll split this next year now that the hive is finally healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by tmstuk View Post
                    I wish I had time to keep bees. Everyone I know that does talks about it with enough passion that I know I'd be hooked!
                    Mine really don’t take much time. Keep it under 3-4 hives. I just check mine when I go to the property.

Comment

Working...
                    X