A good two weekends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good two weekends

I haven't posted as much lately but wanted to share these from two great weekends. Warning, long read.

First I along with two good friends hunted in the panhandle with our very own J-J Matt. It was a great hunt for all and Matt along with his family took excellent care of us start to finish.

I took a cow elk which is something I've wanted to do for some time. It's a pre-cursor to my plans of a guided elk hunt out west next year.

The following weekend found me hunting my home lease which has been very up and down for the past couple of years. I had several nice deer on camera all summer only to disappear days prior to the bow opener. This 8 showed up mostly at night a week or two prior to this hunt.

I was walking to the stand a bit late in the evening and all appeared clear as I surveyed the 600 yards of tree line on the cut corn field I hunt over. As I'm about halfway across the well pad to the stand this guy walks out and starts to nibble on the clover / oats food plot. At this point, I'm caught in the wide open 50 yards from the stand. Luckily, he didn't initially see me so I dropped to a knee and readied myself on the shooting sticks. As I'm adjusting the sticks he takes notice of something not quite right but at 265 yards in a misty low light evening it didn't alarm him. I quickly took a quartering to shot. He spun and hit the woods making it about 30 yards before expiring.

These were the first two of hopefully many kills with my new 30 Nosler from APR. I couldn't be happier with this rifle as APR continues to surpass expectations.

The next morning found my dad and I throwing tops and soft plastics to tailing reds in the Lavaca river marsh near Port Lavaca. It was a great day sight fishing to the reds boating 20 fish, most of which were keepers.

Sorry about the long read, it was a great couple of weekends.
    Attached Files

Awesome time afield. Congratulations!

Comment

Nice! Congrats! Where I went to school we'd call that a 9 pointer.

Comment

Congratulations! Sounds like you've been having all the fun.

Comment

I feel I must say it again. If you're looking for a great hunt with buddies, the family or just yourself Matt will take great care of you.

He has multiple ranches to hunt all within minutes of each other and great accommodations.

He and his wife will go above and beyond to put you on the animals and ensure you enjoy your stay.

Comment

Looks like a great time! Congrats

Comment

Working...
            X