Fish Below Canyon Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish Below Canyon Lake

We will be staying in a house on the Guadalupe just before Cabin Lake next week. Is it worth taking any fishing gear? Here's a picture of where the house is & what the river by the house looks like. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes, yes and YES! Some of the best rainbow trout fishing in Texas! If you fly-fishing, definitely hit up the outfitter shop near there for guidance and what they're hitting on (hatch). If not, bring ultrLite spinning tackle with 1/8th oz spinners, beetle spins, rooster tails, Shiney honeys, etc......

Comment

Are they tubing this year, or is that shut down due to the 'rona? If the river is covered in tubers, you'll need to get out at first light to get an hour or two of fishing in before the river is wall to wall tubers.

Comment

Theres some good fishing in that area for sure! But there will be a ton of folks on the water...

If you can be fishing at daybreak, bring your gear. If you plan to sleep in, I wouldn't waste my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Are they tubing this year, or is that shut down due to the 'rona? If the river is covered in tubers, you'll need to get out at first light to get an hour or two of fishing in before the river is wall to wall tubers.
          Barely beat me

They were tubing last weekend when I drove by

Comment

For sure. One of the owners of our Brokerage has a house right there. Pics of some bass his family and friends have caught are crazy.

Comment

That's a area, where you can catch all types of stuff. I used to fish farther down stream, with both spinning rod and reel and fly rod. I used to catch a lot of Guadalupe Bass, sun fish other pan fish. I also caught the only small mouth bass I have ever caught, it was pretty dang big, biggest fish I have ever caught out of that river. Closer to the dam, I have caught a lot of pan fish and lots of small catfish, biggest being maybe 16", most 12" range.

They supposedly release rainbow trout, just upstream, right below the dam, I still question that. I never caught one, tried all types of things, gave up on them 25 years ago. I have heard that area, often has some stripe bass. That stripe bass, will go through the dam, then look for deep holes to hand out in. There are supposedly some old rainbow trout that are fairly large living in some of the deeper holes also, but I really think that is a myth.
              I would look for deeper holes, deeper water, with rocks that are under cut. There are typically all types of fish hiding up under those rocks. If you really want the action, fish late afternoon, from about 6:00 PM on. When the bugs are all over the surface of the water, you can get into a lot of Guadalupe Bass, by sight casting. That area you showed pictures of, looks like a great place to use a fly rod. I found black flies, either wet or dry work very well. You will be busy when the bugs are on the water late afternoon, with pan fish and the Guadalupe Bass.
              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-25-2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

There are some big stripers down there, gotta get you a big swimbait that looks like a rainbow trout.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                  That's a area, where you can catch all types of stuff. I used to fish farther down stream, with both spinning rod and reel and fly rod. I used to catch a lot of Guadalupe Bass, sun fish other pan fish. I also caught the only small mouth bass I have ever caught, it was pretty dang big, biggest fish I have ever caught out of that river. Closer to the dam, I have caught a lot of pan fish and lots of small catfish, biggest being maybe 16", most 12" range.

They supposedly release rainbow trout, just upstream, right below the dam, I still question that. I never caught one, tried all types of things, gave up on them 25 years ago. I have heard that area, often has some stripe bass. That stripe bass, will go through the dam, then look for deep holes to hand out in. There are supposedly some old rainbow trout that are fairly large living in some of the deeper holes also, but I really think that is a myth.
                  I would look for deeper holes, deeper water, with rocks that are under cut. There are typically all types of fish hiding up under those rocks. If you really want the action, fish late afternoon, from about 6:00 PM on. When the bugs are all over the surface of the water, you can get into a lot of Guadalupe Bass, by sight casting. That area you showed pictures of, looks like a great place to use a fly rod. I found black flies, either wet or dry work very well. You will be busy when the bugs are on the water late afternoon, with pan fish and the Guadalupe Bass.
                  Indeed, there are big carryover rainbows below the dam. Fish for them in October/November before TPWD stocks the small ones.

Nightcrawlers are your friend. Three to five pound trout aren’t out of the question.

Comment

I'll be up there weekend after next. I have only fished it a couple of times but caught Guadalupe bass on basic worm setups every time

Comment

I fished upstream of the lake 2 weeks ago. Caught fish on almost every cast. Used a 1/8oz roadrunner with a light blue/chartuse tail. Caught Guadalupe bass, goggle eye, blue gill, sunfish, large mouth, and blue cat. It was a blast. Im sure below the dam theres bigger fish and more species.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it's worth packing some tackle.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with the above responses. We used to camp on the guad every year below the dam on River Road. As stated, either early morning or late evening is the ticket, otherwise, there's just too many tubers, swimmers, etc.

Fly rod setup works great, but if you don't have that, light tackle is fine. This is great place to use a Zebco 33 or similar. Just about any array beetle spins or similar work well. We used to also do good with grub worm setups as well.

I also agree with the comments on looking for deeper holes, just out of the current and behind larger rocks, etc. Seems the predator fish like to hang out there.

Comment

The tubers aren’t too bad until you get down to the horseshoe. Before that and after that is pretty nice if you get a yak to use. I stayed pretty much across the river from the tubers while in that horseshoe section and some younger guy paddles his tube all the way over to let me know that my fishing was very dangerous for him and his friends. I politely told him he was right and let him know where the first spot to get out of the river was if he didn’t feel safe.

Comment

Fishing from the dam down to the horseshoe you won’t have to worry about tubers really. Light tackle and a bass set up is all you need. Look for the deeper holes and shade.

Comment

Working...
                              X