Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes

Old 05-16-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
dpg481
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rains/Hunt county
Default Hooch wine.

I've been wanting to make some wine here lately but with all these folks making bread at home all of the yeast has been bought up. I made a score today at wally world and finally snagged me some. The ratio is for 32 ounces of 100 percent juice you add 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. I like to pour the jug of juice into a large pitcher first then disolve the sugar. I then funnel it back into the jug and add the yeast so it gets close to the right amount. I keep an extra jug or wine bottle handy to add the excess liquid to, then add yeast to that bottle. Give the jugs a good shake and either slightly crack the cap or put a balloon on it. the baloon may need to be burped in a couple days. The wine will be ready in a few weeks and then will have to be racked, or siphoned out of the jug because of waste left behind from the yeast. Its rrady to drink at that point.

I also have a gallon bag of frozen dew berries i picked on my fence last week I will be making some winenout of very soon. Hope yall can enjoy this with some friends and family

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
dpg481 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Better tape those balloons on the bottles.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
R.W.T
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

I drink that and I will turn into a
Hoochie lol
R.W.T is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

It’s really that simple ? Am not a wine drinker but my wife is. How do you know when it’s ready, just three weeks and done , or some other way to tell if it’s ready ? Ballon deflates, maybe ?
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
Itís really that simple ? Am not a wine drinker but my wife is. How do you know when itís ready, just three weeks and done , or some other way to tell if itís ready ? Ballon deflates, maybe ?
The yeast will stop working, ie making bubbles. easy as pie man, and stupid simple and cheap. Its a ton of fun with friends.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I do not like wine and want to try this!
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 06:37 AM   #7
scotty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Encinal Texas, Hare, Texas

When I was a freshman in High School (1974), our chemistry teacher taught us how to make alcohol (wine). So, I did.
Grape juice, yeast, sugar, water, 5 gallon Oasis bottle.
Bottled it in glass 32oz Dr. Pepper bottles with the screw on lid.
Fast forward to senior year. We had the same teacher for Physics. There were 10 of us in the class.
Last day of school before Christmas break we had a Christmas party in class before lunch.
Everyone brought something for lunch. I brought the drinks...
We had a plate ready for her when she got to class.
She took a bite of sandwich, bite of cookie, sip from the Dixie cup...
She stood up and almost shouted "What's the meaning of this?"
I told her "Remember when you taught us how to make wine when we were freshmen? Well, this is it!"
She sat down, shook her head, and said,"Well then, I guess it's an experiment and it's OK."
We all got pretty trashed. It was a different time back then.
She was the best teacher I ever had. I didn't have to crack a book for chemistry at UT, and barely for physics.
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #8
Cory.Shumate
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg481 View Post
I've been wanting to make some wine here lately but with all these folks making bread at home all of the yeast has been bought up. I made a score today at wally world and finally snagged me some. The ratio is for 32 ounces of 100 percent juice you add 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. I like to pour the jug of juice into a large pitcher first then disolve the sugar. I then funnel it back into the jug and add the yeast so it gets close to the right amount. I keep an extra jug or wine bottle handy to add the excess liquid to, then add yeast to that bottle. Give the jugs a good shake and either slightly crack the cap or put a balloon on it. the baloon may need to be burped in a couple days. The wine will be ready in a few weeks and then will have to be racked, or siphoned out of the jug because of waste left behind from the yeast. Its rrady to drink at that point.

I also have a gallon bag of frozen dew berries i picked on my fence last week I will be making some winenout of very soon. Hope yall can enjoy this with some friends and family

If you poke a couple holes in the balloon with a needle it will self burp and when the balloon deflates, the yeast is done. Did a gallon of this, as well as a gallon of just sugar and water with yeast in my dads attic in high school. Tasted like a loaf of wonderbread. Had a couple drinks of it and thought, ďThereís got to be at least a little alcohol in this.Ē Fast forward 1 hour and I was looking for the highway Braille walking down the hallway to the bathroom to yak. Stuff comes out strong.
Cory.Shumate is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory.Shumate View Post
If you poke a couple holes in the balloon with a needle it will self burp and when the balloon deflates, the yeast is done. Did a gallon of this, as well as a gallon of just sugar and water with yeast in my dads attic in high school. Tasted like a loaf of wonderbread. Had a couple drinks of it and thought, ďThereís got to be at least a little alcohol in this.Ē Fast forward 1 hour and I was looking for the highway Braille walking down the hallway to the bathroom to yak. Stuff comes out strong.
I was actually thinking about taking the balloons off and just putting the cap back on but leave is slightly cracked so the air can escape. My wife sent me a picture of the bottles this morning and the grape juice is working overtime, I just can't have it blowing up in the closet.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
dpg481
Ten Point

here is what is happening so far.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
hog_down
Ten Point

Can you tell us more about the dewberry wine process? Thanks for sharing!
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #12
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

What kind of yeast are you using? You might want to buy a wine yeast. A baking or beer yeast is probably going to die before all the fermentable sugar is consumed, ie lower alcohol content. Just a thought. I used to homebrew in my drinking days and remember something to that effect.

Last edited by Graysonhogs; 05-18-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #13
youngSLY88
Spike

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

Interesting
youngSLY88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #14
ateague11
Ten Point

What type of 100% juices did you use?
ateague11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #15
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

We made watermelon wine back in the day in 2 liter bottles.
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2020, 05:18 PM   #16
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
What kind of yeast are you using? You might want to buy a wine yeast. A baking or beer yeast is probably going to die before all the fermentable sugar is consumed, ie lower alcohol content. Just a thought. I used to homebrew in my drinking days and remember something to that effect.
Im using bakers yeast, its hooch man, not any of that fancy azz boons farm,lol. the baking yeasy will get it there i promise.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #17
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateague11 View Post
What type of 100% juices did you use?
Apple, regular and white grape. One of the bottles is a mix of all three that were left over from adding in the sugar.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #18
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Im using bakers yeast, its hooch man, not any of that fancy azz boons farm,lol. the baking yeasy will get it there i promise.

Ok, thought the point of hooch was maximum punch.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #19
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
Ok, thought the point of hooch was maximum punch.
Yes, but they dont sell wine yeast at the dollar general,lol.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #20
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes, but they dont sell wine yeast at the dollar general,lol.

True.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-28-2020, 06:46 AM   #21
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Have a buddy that does this. Makes a new batch weekly and keep them rotated. He isnít a big wine drinker but will drink the bottom out of the stuff he makes. The longer it sits he says the better it taste. Idk. But Iím going to try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2020, 07:16 AM   #22
Ksig512
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over this great state

that's the penitentiary way. They make a Bung stop and a airlock for water jugs. You can buy them at specs really cheap. The carbon dioxide needs to leave and not let air back in. The little gadget at specs looks like a miniature p-trap. You put a little water in it to stop the back flow of unwanted air while the carbon dioxide can still escape.
Ksig512 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #23
dpg481
Ten Point

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksig512 View Post
that's the penitentiary way. They make a Bung stop and a airlock for water jugs. You can buy them at specs really cheap. The carbon dioxide needs to leave and not let air back in. The little gadget at specs looks like a miniature p-trap. You put a little water in it to stop the back flow of unwanted air while the carbon dioxide can still escape.
I looked at ordering some of that stuff with a guy I work with this week. If I were to get into this seriously I would or will spend the money on proper equipment. This is more of an experiment I started while working from home to not go crazy. Lets hope it works. I will be trying out some of it this weekend and will report back if I can still see to type
Old 06-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #24
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Haven't had that in 10 years and I still don't want anything to do with that hangover
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #25
Filletem
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca/Hardin Counties

We used clear tubing sealed into a hole in the lid. Hang it over into a bowl of water when it quits bubbling it’s ready. If you want it stouter you can add more sugar and it will start back up again. We used this method on a 5 gallon Ozarka jug for watermelon wine stuff would knock the sanity right out of you.
Filletem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #26
Merry_Sweet94
Banned!!!

Nice wine u've got!
Merry_Sweet94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #27
howabouttheiris
Ten Point

I have made a lot of hard lemonade / hard cider / wines and am finishing a batch now.

A few recommendations...

1) Get champagne yeast for fermentation. Bread yeast will leave off flavors and not be able to survive to the standard 11-18% of wine. Amazon, Austin Homebrew Supply or any wine kit place for a buck or 2.

2) Fermentation can be fast. Ensure you put the fermenters somewhere that sticky juice will not damage.

3) If using raw juices, use campden tablets to kill any wild yeast or bacteria before fermentation.

4) If using store-bought juice, ensure it does not have potassium sorbate (preservative) in it, as it will battle your yeast. Cheap no-name juices usually do not have it, but expensive ones may. Look at the label.

5) Have a plan for backsweetening. This process will produce a VERY dry wine. If you add sugar it will just ferment out again. You can either kill the yeast then use sugar or use a non-fermentable sugar, like xylitol or Splenda, to sweeten. Even if you don't want it sweet, you may need some backsweetening or be prepared to pucker.

6) When you are done, save and wash the yeast. It will start fermentation on your next batch very fast and will completely ferment next time in less than a week.

Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by howabouttheiris; 06-04-2020 at 08:52 AM.
howabouttheiris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #28
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by howabouttheiris View Post
I have made a lot of hard lemonade / hard cider / wines and am finishing a batch now.

A few recommendations...

1) Get champagne yeast for fermentation. Bread yeast will leave off flavors and not be able to survive to the standard 11-18% of wine. Amazon, Austin Homebrew Supply or any wine kit place for a buck or 2.

2) Fermentation can be fast. Ensure you put the fermenters somewhere that sticky juice will not damage.

3) If using raw juices, use campden tablets to kill any wild yeast or bacteria before fermentation.

4) If using store-bought juice, ensure it does not have potassium sorbate (preservative) in it, as it will battle your yeast. Cheap no-name juices usually do not have it, but expensive ones may. Look at the label.

5) Have a plan for backsweetening. This process will produce a VERY dry wine. If you add sugar it will just ferment out again. You can either kill the yeast then use sugar or use a non-fermentable sugar, like xylitol or Splenda, to sweeten. Even if you don't want it sweet, you may need some backsweetening or be prepared to pucker.

6) When you are done, save and wash the yeast. It will start fermentation on your next batch very fast and will completely ferment next time in less than a week.

Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the great information brother.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #29
hog_down
Ten Point

^^^ awesome write up
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #30
TexanDuke
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Got my setup ready

TexanDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #31
dpg481
Ten Point

So this evening I had timento siphon the brew from the jugs since its just over 3 weeks. I started with half a coffee mug of the red grape and its STOUT! Half the mug got a quick buzz,lol. I then moved to the apple and its pretty tasty as well. I think I may get some of it chilled down and take to my brother in laws tomorrow night. Man this has been fun and I hope to refine my new found past time real soon.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #32
TexanDuke
Eight Point

Quote:
So this evening I had timento siphon the brew from the jugs since its just over 3 weeks. I started with half a coffee mug of the red grape and its STOUT! Half the mug got a quick buzz,lol. I then moved to the apple and its pretty tasty as well. I think I may get some of it chilled down and take to my brother in laws tomorrow night. Man this has been fun and I hope to refine my new found past time real soon.

What would you do differently if anything?

Old 06-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #33
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDuke View Post
What would you do differently if anything?

Well at point I would say I would have put it in the fridge before i drank so dang much,lol. Heck i dont know, it tastes good and it has a kick. I just did this to show yall how dang simple it is and that with three ingredients and time it is possible.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #34
Richard M.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke Co.

I've made wine like this before for my wife. It tends to be sweet using bread yeast which is what she wanted. The yeast will die off when the alcohol gets high enough to kill it but there is still sugar remaining. A champagne yeast would raise the alcohol and end up drier fermenting all the sugar out. I used a gallon carboy and an airlock because I homebrew beer and had it, but your way works just as good.
Richard M. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2020, 08:04 AM   #35
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M. View Post
I've made wine like this before for my wife. It tends to be sweet using bread yeast which is what she wanted. The yeast will die off when the alcohol gets high enough to kill it but there is still sugar remaining. A champagne yeast would raise the alcohol and end up drier fermenting all the sugar out. I used a gallon carboy and an airlock because I homebrew beer and had it, but your way works just as good.
It.was most definitely sweet. Im not surenif i want it to have any higher alcohol content. Two of my friends and i tore up a half gallon of it this week and BOY did it hit quick. Im not much of a wine drinker, but if there is ever a shortage of miller I have a back up plan. I think my next adventure will be to make some Dewberry wine from the berries I picked this spring around our hay pasture.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:12 AM   #36
itsgood1308
Eight Point

Hunt In: Archer City

Haven’t tried making wine yet, but I’ve gotten back into beer home brewing this past week after a 5 year hiatus. I’ve got 5 gal of revolver blood and honey clone bubbling in my office!
itsgood1308 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #37
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I lost be airlock and carboy from my beer kit and tried to improvise last week. I'm pretty sure I made more mistakes as well becouse the vertical explosion had a blast diameter of 30'. I will have to repaint part of the ceiling. Live and learn
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #38
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I lost be airlock and carboy from my beer kit and tried to improvise last week. I'm pretty sure I made more mistakes as well becouse the vertical explosion had a blast diameter of 30'. I will have to repaint part of the ceiling. Live and learn

Pics? LMAO

Old 06-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #39
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Did this in my high school days in the early 70’’s. We used unsweetened apple juice. Good times, great parties.....at least the ones I remember. Lol.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #40
TexanDuke
Eight Point

Enjoying my first glass now. Went quicker than I thought so I left it sitting for a few extra days. Siphoned into a second car boy to let it settle out for another few days before I bottle it. Putting in a campden tablet to avoid an explosion... itís really good I used tart cherry and red grape. Will be adding wine tannin next time.... and yes, itís bone dry.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #41
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a camo banana hammock.

Have we had proof of life from OP since the 13th?
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #42
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Of all the juices, which one tastes better with just sugar and yeast?

FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #43
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
Have we had proof of life from OP since the 13th?
Im still kickin brother,lol. My neighbor and i were telling another neighbor about him blacking out on it that night we cracked the seal. I myself refrained from going all in like my friends, but i promise it worked the trick.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #44
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Of all the juices, which one tastes better with just sugar and yeast?

both the grape and white grape/apple have a good flavor, sweet and not dry at all.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #45
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Dang....interesting thread. IN
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #46
sahunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Central and South Texas