No announcement yet.

What is a Fire Fighter worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is too bad that this won't change anything...I catch flack that a few co workers know I'm considering a career change after 10years of FF.

I'm just sick of being treated being treated like crap by, the public and city admin. I literally have hit my breaking point and it's happening more and more frequently...I ask myself "is it really worth it?"

Comment

Txfirerescue, I understand your sentiment. We are all tired of getting shafted by city admin, but I guss I've never been treated poorly by citizens. But wow, after 10 years, I couldn't leave if I wanted to, too much vested in the retirement plan. Oh yeah, and it doesn't seem to matter what you do anymore, there's always somebody above you trying to give you the shaft. The says of employer/employee loyalty are long gone in most places.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk.

Comment

I honestly don't mind the city admin as much as I do the citizens. I worked 5 years in a decent community but for the last 5 have worked "the ghetto", higher call volume, worse pay and more to deal with.

Ive heard of burnt out medics, but as a FF Medic I really don't think that's what is, I'm just plain sick of the down talk and I've lost the enjoyment of helping people that could easily help themselves. Don't get me wrong, we run our fair share of serious fire and medic calls but there's more BS than the others.

Comment

The city I work for is great, the pay is better than climbing poles like I used to.
          It's a great career but the most boring one I have ever had (except for about 10% of the time) no firefighter is being under paid for the job we do. No city has unlimited proceeds to dole out. I do miss my wife and kids when I am not home, I do feel under appreciated by the public from time to time but rarely never by my employer.
          I did like the article and it was well written but had a feeling it was skillfully written with an agenda by union members wife

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
            Txfirerescue, I understand your sentiment. We are all tired of getting shafted by city admin, but I guss I've never been treated poorly by citizens. But wow, after 10 years, I couldn't leave if I wanted to, too much vested in the retirement plan. Oh yeah, and it doesn't seem to matter what you do anymore, there's always somebody above you trying to give you the shaft. The says of employer/employee loyalty are long gone in most places.

there's always somebody above you trying to give you the shaft.

It sounds like you are a victim? Everyone chooses their own career path and no one is owed anything. As long as there is an endless supply of labor and relative low barrier to entry, things will never change. this applies to any industry and not just FF.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post

It sounds like you are a victim? Everyone chooses their own career path and no one is owed anything. As long as there is an endless supply of labor and relative low barrier to entry, things will never change. this applies to any industry and not just FF.
              That's funny, I thought we were posting on a thread talking where the topic was about FF pay and issues???

My fault for not understanding, and never did I say I was a victim, but merely commenting my side. I hope this thread gets deleted like rest.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post

Nope, not a victim at all, just stating my experience which is that, in all industries, there is always someone saying you make too much money and trying to cut your benefits. There is always some pencil pusher upstairs trying to cut costs and increase profit on the backs of the workers, instead of looking for a way to increase revenew by creating a more desirable product. It's the "I'm not getting rich enough, so I'm going to cut costs and increase my margin instead of doing something to better my business" mentality.

Comment

Txfirerescue, I know what you are going through. I have worked on engine companys that make over 3000 runs and drove a Basic Ambulance in the Ghetto the made over 4300 runs a year. You need to promote, or promote out of suppresion to arson or inspection. At least make your 20yrs before leaving, but have a plan.
                  Last edited by Captain39; 05-05-2012, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    It's a great career but the most boring one I have ever had (except for about 10% of the time) no firefighter is being under paid for the job we do.
                    Boring? not under paid. No firefighter is being under paid? You need to come to Houston and ride along, might change your mind. My engine proably make more runs in a month then you do in a year.

Comment

I feel your pain! I'm not a FF but I do work for the city in a certified possition that many think is a waiste and that we make too much as it is.

Comment

This is not ment specifically for the op but...

So tired of hearing everyone ***** about what they make and how they are treated. You new that being a firemen, police officer, city worker, maintance men, trucker etc. dont get paid crap when YOU took the job! No one is forcing any of us to stay where we are. If your not happy, go back to school and get a degree in something thats going to pay well. Doctor, lawyer, engineer etc. Get your masters in goverment and run for office and change things! Go to your city council meetings, call your representatives. Go door to door and tell people why they should vote for YOU for city manager. DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW YOUR MISTREATED. Cuz trust me 90% of the working class think the same way you do. Sorry for the rant... Let the complaining procede... And yes I'm under paid and under appreciated too

Comment

Originally posted by captain39 View Post
                          boring? Not under paid. No firefighter is being under paid? You need to come to houston and ride along, might change your mind. My engine proably make more runs in a month then you do in a year.
                          x10

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
                            Txfirerescue, I know what you are going through. I have worked on engine companys that make over 3000 runs and drove a Basic Ambulance in the Ghetto the made over 4300 runs a year. You need to promote, or promote out of suppresion to arson or inspection. At least make your 20yrs before leaving, but have a plan.
                            I'm going to skip the comment above mine as I already expressed my feelings on that...

I can't agree more bud. This has been a 2 year process that I have thought, planned out then went back to the drawing board.

There's no room for promotion which sucks. So I've explored options. It just sucks that I see not necessarily younger but GREEN guys go gung ho into this career think it will never happen to them. I was the same way. Never thought I would get tired of it. I still give the citizens 100% but I feel the system is used and abused day in and day out and there's nothing I am allowed to say that will change it.

I do arson in my near future. Last option I have is getting my TCLEOSE.
                            Last edited by Txfirerescue; 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post

So tired of hearing everyone ***** about what they make and how they are treated. You new that being a firemen, police officer, city worker, maintance men, trucker etc. dont get paid crap when YOU took the job! No one is forcing any of us to stay where we are. If your not happy, go back to school and get a degree in something thats going to pay well. Doctor, lawyer, engineer etc. Get your masters in goverment and run for office and change things! Go to your city council meetings, call your representatives. Go door to door and tell people why they should vote for YOU for city manager. DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW YOUR MISTREATED. Cuz trust me 90% of the working class think the same way you do. Sorry for the rant... Let the complaining procede... And yes I'm under paid and under appreciated too
                              For the record, a new City Mgr came in and lowered our pay bracket. I've "lost" $13000 already this year from the restructure. I know, boo hoo me, I went from $48.50 an hour down to $26.30

Just sain, I knew what it paid going in and constantly we in Public Service get shafted. I'm thankfull to be working but the way we are treated is wrong!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post

Actually I think I will comment...

Your complete lack of knowledge on the subject matter completely astonishes me as to why commented on the matter in the first place.

For most of us (firefighters, medics, peace officers) who wanted to be in this career, I honesty don't remember and highly doubt that from the ages of 9-18 or whatever age matter was it a KNOWN fact of how much you make nor did it matter.

But, for the years I went to school for this which is the equivalent of a 2 year degree (not including the 1000 plus CE hours I maintain a year, and classes I take to improve in my career), which I have, I would imagine and EXPECT to be paid enough to support a family. I will put my job on it that unless you are a engineer or captain on up that 100% of firefighters who support a family do it on DUAL income.

When was the last time you received a raise? Last year? After the end of your fiscal year? I have NOT received a raise in 3 years, for whatever reason they come up with. My city has changed insurance 5 times since then which the insurance is decent, not great by any means, for a single guy. But don't even think about supporting a family on it.

So combine, no raise, crappy salary, horrible insurance and being treated like crap; to answer your question...no I was never told at any point THOSE things when getting into this career.

And you make the suggestion to go back to school to become something I don't want to be? That's amusing.
                                Last edited by Txfirerescue; 05-05-2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X