X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broad head shooting differently

Set up: draw weight 70lbs
    dl:32''
    Shooting 350 gr arrow with 100gr field point. All day 3''-4'' group out to 50yds.

Put a 100 gr. fixed blade Muzzy MX-3 and it is shooting down and to the left 6-8''

Any thoughts?

Last year was shooting same setup and it was plug and play, no issues....

Have you shot it through paper recently? I would either do that or bare shaft it to start. Try broadheads again after you are getting a bullet hole through paper. You may still need to make some small adjustments to rest to bring FPs and BHs together.

I was getting a perfect bullet hole before season with my reign 6. Had all kinds of issues with broadheads, including mechanicals, after season started. Went back to the paper and was getting a large left tear. I do not know what changed, but something did. Fixed the paper tune and that fixed the broadhead issues.

Comment

The change from past to present could be a few things:
      1. string/cable stretch changing the tune of the bow
      2. bent/out of square broadhead (do a spin test)
      3. face/beard pressure contact (if you grew a beard, gained some face or changed the D-loop, the amount of pressure put on the string changed. This pushes the back end of the arrow away from your face at the release.)

I'm not certain what the speed you're getting with a 32/70 setup at an IBO weight arrow, but I bet its way over 300 fps. The faster an arrow is moving through the air, the more effect from each of the 3 scenarios listed above.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
        Have you shot it through paper recently? I would either do that or bare shaft it to start. Try broadheads again after you are getting a bullet hole through paper. You may still need to make some small adjustments to rest to bring FPs and BHs together.

I was getting a perfect bullet hole before season with my reign 6. Had all kinds of issues with broadheads, including mechanicals, after season started. Went back to the paper and was getting a large left tear. I do not know what changed, but something did. Fixed the paper tune and that fixed the broadhead issues.
        I have not paper tuned before, I'll check youtube for some resources.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
          The change from past to present could be a few things:
          1. string/cable stretch changing the tune of the bow
          2. bent/out of square broadhead (do a spin test)
          3. face/beard pressure contact (if you grew a beard, gained some face or changed the D-loop, the amount of pressure put on the string changed. This pushes the back end of the arrow away from your face at the release.)

I'm not certain what the speed you're getting with a 32/70 setup at an IBO weight arrow, but I bet its way over 300 fps. The faster an arrow is moving through the air, the more effect from each of the 3 scenarios listed above.
          Have not gotten it tested but it's possible.

Unfortunately 2,3 are no go, new broad heads and I can't grow a beard to save my life.
          1: I did notice some difference shooting the other day, it was very cold and I had not shot in a while but today it was all spot on. So not sure if that could have been it.

Comment

350 grains total? Or 350 plus the 100 grain tip weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post

At 70 lbs and 32 inch draw. Wonder what spine.

Comment

Try adjusting you weight up or down a quarter of a turn on each limb. If it gets worse go the other way.

Comment

Sorry, cause some confusion:

Shooting a 350 spine, with 100 grain BH.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
                    Try adjusting you weight up or down a quarter of a turn on each limb. If it gets worse go the other way.
                    Maybe with the added torque arrow is getting over powered?

Comment

Originally posted by Allaroundhunt View Post
                      Sorry, cause some confusion:

Shooting a 350 spine, with 100 grain BH.
                      How long are your arrows? A 350 spine any longer than 28.5" carbon to carbon length will be way underspined and difficult to tune at 70 lbs. I would think the shortest you could shoot without pulling past your rest is around 30"

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                        At 70 lbs and 32 inch draw. Wonder what spine.
                        Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
                        How long are your arrows? A 350 spine any longer than 28.5" carbon to carbon length will be way underspined and difficult to tune at 70 lbs. I would think the shortest you could shoot without pulling past your rest is around 30"
                        These are the right questions before giving any tuning advice.
                        I don't see how we don't have a spine issue.

Comment

All good responses, but if you are “only” 8” off at 50 yards paper tuning will not help much. If there is no spine issue try slight adjustments to your rest. Don’t try adjusting windage and elevation in one move. Adjust one, shoot, then adjust the other.

Mr Sid

Comment

How tall are you and what is your wing span? Along with the spine possibly being an issue, having a draw length set too long can cause this kind of flight issue. I don’t know if many folks that have a legit 32” DL.

Comment

I had semi erratic flight on a Martin Cheetah with muzzys. I know a lot of people use them though. Switched to Slick tricks and that calmed things back down.

Comment

Working...
                              X