Any 7.3 Gurus Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any 7.3 Gurus Out There?

I have an 02 SWB CC Auto with 320k. Here recently when I hit a hard bump the truck shuts down. I don't lose dash power....it's like the injectors stop firing. I can put it in neutral and restart but it spins a few times before it fires. When I get in it to crank it normally it fires off almost immediately. Everything else on the truck is perfect.

Anyone ever experience anything similar?

My guess would be cam positioning sensor. The EOM were bad back then. If you have power and the engine quits suddenly, it is likely electronic/computer. Sensors are the first place to start. Most 7.3l owners carry/carried a spare CPS in the glove box. I know I still have a spare the original owner carried in the glove box. I have owned the truck for 12 years and never needed it, as it was replaced with aftermarket, per original owner.

I should add the CPS is how the engine knows when and where to fire. The default for no signal from the CPS is 'no fire' to protect power train.
    Last edited by TejasNW; 12-19-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Hmmm. Same truck and same mileage but never heard of that problem. It might be injector drive module wiring harness or under valve cover harness.

Comment

Originally posted by TejasNW View Post
        My guess would be cam positioning sensor. The EOM were bad back then. If you have power and the engine quits suddenly, it is likely electronic/computer. Sensors are the first place to start. Most 7.3l owners carry/carried a spare CPS in the glove box. I know I still have a spare the original owner carried in the glove box. I have owned the truck for 12 years and never needed it, as it was replaced with aftermarket, per original owner.

I should add the CPS is how the engine knows when and where to fire. The default for no signal from the CPS is 'no fire' to protect power train.
        This! Had to replace 2 on my old 7.3L. Wish I still had that beast. 7.3L is legit!

Comment

Here is a quick concise run down of the recall, the symptoms and the steps to replace the cps if that turns out to be the problem:

Cam position sensor — 7.3 CPS — was one of the first parts I replaced on my 2002 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. The truck had 202,000…

It looks like there is a 3rd iteration of the part that address the problems with the original and the recall replacement. That I did not know.

Comment

Sounds like cam position sensor can buy it online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
              Sounds like cam position sensor can buy it online

Only buy a OEM one. I have a Borg-warner one and it will go out when my windshield wipers are on intermediate. Its a known problem with their brand.

Comment

CPS oem at Ford dealership are reasonably priced

Comment

Cam sensor no doubt and easy to replace. Once replaced your good for another 320,000. Love 7.3s

Comment

The windshield wiper motor can cause this problem too. When the motor starts making a noise, you know, like it’s old. I will start to send erratic voltage. The truck will stop like a bad cps. This happened to me. It took a lot of research to find the problem. I replaced the wiper motor and no more problems.

Comment

This guy has been around the block it sounds like. I completely agree.

Comment

X2. It takes a 10mm socket to change it. I keep a spare in my glove box for my '03 7.3.

Comment

Injector wiring harness is built into the valve cover gaskets. The connections often burn out. Alot of times you can replace the terminals at the injectors if they're burnt. It's a bit of a tough job (very little slack and have to be soldered on) if not replace the harness/valve cover gaskets. If not that then would check the cam sensor. You can use a dvom and check the resistance across the sensor unpluged. You can compare it against a new one to save yourself a little money before buying one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine was the Injector Pressure Regulator Valve. 2003 excursion limited 4x4 381,000 miles

Comment

Good info here. My 02 7.3 just roller over 200K. Getting ready to spend some $ on a facelift. Not to bash the newer diesels but the CP4 injector pumps scare the snot out of me. I was an unwilling participant in the GM 6.5 diesel injection pump R&D program and said never again!

Comment

Working...
                              X