Pennies...Who Needs Em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pennies...Who Needs Em?

My Grandfather is Turning Over In His Grave! He lived to be 87 years old. Up to the day he died he would pick up a penny if he saw one.

President Barack Obama says it may be time to get rid of the penny. The copper 1-cent coin has long been criticized for being costlier to mint than it is worth. And with Americans using pennies less and less, some have questioned why the government hasn’t stopped producing them. Asked whether the penny should be [...]

Not sure how I feel about this. I think it is certainly time to start deciding if we actually NEED pennies anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cable View Post
      My Grandfather is Turning Over In His Grave! He lived to be 87 years old. Up to the day he died he would pick up a penny if he saw one.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/o...-politics.html
      I ain't to proud to pick up change, would always **** me off in highschool when you would see the kids dump all of their change out of their pockets and only keep the bills, but then again I have no qualms with picking up 95 cents in change of the ground, adds up after awhile had 75 some odd dollars in jars the other day when we counted it.

Comment

Read the headline ------ If he is for it, then I am against it ------ period.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
          Read the headline ------ If he is for it, then I am against it ------ period.
          LOL, I'm with Jerry!

Comment

How dare he do this to Lincoln!!!

(Extreme sarcasm of course)
            Last edited by DapperDan; 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

We have a lot bigger problems to solve than pennies. Our government needs to come join the real world for a while and gain a fresh perspective on American needs

Comment

I had a friend in college that would buy something and when he got back in his truck he would separate silver from copper. Silver went in a cup, copper went out the window on the ground. Not cool.

Comment

The gub is tripping over dollars to pick up pennies

Comment

Guess dads penny collection will be worth a little more! I gave him about 10-15#s of pennies for Christmas I had saved from my change a couple years ago. He was pretty stoked about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Phi Phi Hunter View Post
                      Guess dads penny collection will be worth a little more! I gave him about 10-15#s of pennies for Christmas I had saved from my change a couple years ago. He was pretty stoked about it!
                      Heck. Might be worth more as scrap copper than its currency value!!

Comment

I hate carrying change in my pockets so all my pennies go in the trash.

Comment

When you devalue the dollar as much as the Fed has then it make sense that the penny no longer is relevant. Another 4 yrs of this govt and we want need any change unless they start making a trillion dollar coin.

Comment

I read the other day where the US Govt loses $70M a year minting pennies. I'm all for scrapping it if our govt costs us that much money.

Comment

Here's a short and entertaining video on the history of the penny, including why it probably doesn't make sense today.

Last edited by PointyStickAg; 02-14-2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X