No announcement yet.

Arrow Speed vs. Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 inches POI shift at 20 yards seems like a lot more than an extra 150grains of weight going on...

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
      8 inches POI shift at 20 yards seems like a lot more than an extra 150grains of weight going on...

I was thinking the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
        I was thinking the same.

Be happy to shoot it and take pictures ..I didnt measure it just eyeballing. But I am a carpenter so I'm usually pretty close..

Comment

I'm not saying you are lying it's just a really dramatic POI shift for not a lot of change to the arrow. I've gone from a 125 to a 225gr point on 300 spine FMJs and didn't have that much POI shift at 30... that's weird

Comment

I'm not saying you are lying it's just a really dramatic POI shift for not a lot of change to the arrow. I've gone from a 125 to a 225gr point on 300 spine FMJs and didn't have that much POI shift at 30... that's weird
            No telling I only shot about 5 arrows so it could have been me .. I'm gonna play around with it a little more.. I'm shooting 475 gr on my new bow and it's only about 15 ft per sec slower on the chrono. So it very will could have been my fault..

Comment

Ok I did some more shooting .. 29 inch vertix 75 lbs . blazer veins are right at 360 grains on the scale other arrows are 475 on the scale . Bow is sighted in with the heavier arrow. Shot at 20 yards .. the interesting thing is at 40 yards I had to use my 30 yard mark for the lighter arrows . That would give me more travel on my sight.. I have a problem with my anchor point being too high causing less travel for my sight. Tried to change it and I'm all over the place so I went back to the original anchor..https://i.imgur.com/8odBB0t.jpg not sure why it didnt post the picture and it looks like I was too close couldn't seeon my phone because it is so bright outside.. but its 5.5 or so inches difference

Comment

I was thinking same. Buddy tested adding 200gr to arrow. With in 1” at 20 yards at 40 yards he used his 50 yard pin.

Comment

Looks like I need to take my field point test kit out to the range this weekend... I wonder how an 800gr FMJ is gonna fly.. lol

I have to wonder how many dudes in TX hunting from blinds over feeders are actually shooting at ranges that a flatter trajectory would actually matter...

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    You are so right about longer draws length. 28" here. But hey, I have taken a lot of deer and hogs with my set up. The only time I don't get a pass through is faulty shooting on my part.

Yessir, I didn't like the "rainbow" trajectory either. I just shoot 50# bow, but it shoots 286fps, which translates to 67ke, which is more than enough for any big game animal in NA. Now would I shoot a Moose with my setup? Nope. Elk? Yep!
                    So, you have a 28” dL, and shoot a 50lb bow, and are getting 67lbs of this K.E?? 286fps. What bow and what weight arrow are you shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                      So, you have a 28” dL, and shoot a 50lb bow, and are getting 67lbs of this K.E?? 286fps. What bow and what weight arrow are you shooting?
                      using 286fps and 67ke. should put arrow around 368gr. only a few bows will do that. at 28" and 50lbs.

Comment

Looks like I need to take my field point test kit out to the range this weekend... I wonder how an 800gr FMJ is gonna fly.. lol

I have to wonder how many dudes in TX hunting from blinds over feeders are actually shooting at ranges that a flatter trajectory would actually matter...

I can answer that question for you...

Absolutely zero.

Sound makes deer jump the string. The heavier arrow reduces sound, so less likely to jump the string. Inside 30 yards, I can’t fathom speed making a noticeable difference, but sound I could.

Comment

Well calculate it for me, maybe Im wrong. 356 grain arrow, 286 fps. If I remember correctly it was 67

Comment

Double tap...oops

Comment

Well calculate it for me, maybe Im wrong. 356 grain arrow, 286 fps. If I remember correctly it was 67
                              Like Newman said, few bows are capable of producing 17 more lbs of KE, than you are pulling at 28”. Just wondering what bow you’re shooting.

Comment

Your speed and arrow weight match up with post #2 but that's a 70# bow

Here's a calculator: https://www.realtree.com/kinetic-ene...tum-calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X