No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on this article?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These 2 things I strongly disagree with being a lifelong catholic. Some of these comments definitely help me to understand people's frustrations with the bible thumpers. thanks Obama

1. People attracted to the same sex are bad and will go to hell

2. The other thing was an honest question I asked on TBH. I simply asked what would happen to a person who grew up in a non christian area of the world and was never introduced to Christianity. He/she was a stuart of their community and spent their whole life taking care of the less fortunate, sick and dying. What happens to this person once they pass on? The TBH'ers response's were literally that he/she would burn in hell. That was also something I can not agree with them on.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      LOL

Have you studied some of these "religions"? I understand you non-believers like to think it's just opinions and that all religions are crazy, non-logical etc.. But most are very different. Some are plain stupid.
      I never made any sweeping indictments of religions in this thread. I merely pointed out that the argument that wagering on one religion over none is a good bet, is in fact, not a good argument, from a logical standpoint.

And yes, I've studied a good number of religions. There's many variances, similarities, and some that are way out there, but the one thing all religions seem to have in common is that the adherents dismiss all other religions as false with such surety. They KNOW, for a fact, that their religion is the correct one and all others are wrong.

You might assume I presume to KNOW that everyone else is wrong, and that I surely know there is no higher power. But I'm not omniscient, and therefore cannot make such an argument. I merely find the arguments from the religions I've studied to be uncompelling, the evidence lacking, or the dogma to be abhorrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
        These 2 things I strongly disagree with being a lifelong catholic. Some of these comments definitely help me to understand people's frustrations with the bible thumpers. thanks Obama

1. People attracted to the same sex are bad and will go to hell

2. The other thing was an honest question I asked on TBH. I simply asked what would happen to a person who grew up in a non christian area of the world and was never introduced to Christianity. He/she was a stuart of their community and spent their whole life taking care of the less fortunate, sick and dying. What happens to this person once they pass on? The TBH'ers response's were literally that he/she would burn in hell. That was also something I can not agree with them on.
        1. "People" are NOT BAD. It is their sin that is bad and condemns them. It is completely up to everyone to make the choice as to whether they will acknowledge the God that created them and accept forgiveness for their sins. I'm not really a verse-quoter (but I can if need be). I believe in speaking to people in plain language that is current today... God's Word is without change and will never perish. It is up to each one of us as to whether we are willing to believe through faith and accept the Grace of God His forgiveness through His only Son, Jesus Christ.

2. People who have never had the opportunity to be given God's Word are not automatically condemned. God himself told us that if there is no person to deliver His word, the very Mountains and rocks would cry out His testimony... That's what "nature" and wonders of the world are about and do daily... The scenario you posed is to me an example that very well illustrates this. Man, by nature is born in sin, and yet your example had a burden to do "what is right" and cared for his "brothers and sisters" in their hour of need... I believe that God will honor that, as it is their hearts He looks at. Doing works is NOT what gets anyone into Heaven, but a pure heart that is evidenced by the way they live their life is what God looks at and sees.

I don't know how to explain it any better than that. Hope it helps... Knowing God is not a religion, He is a real being and knowing him is a relationship. Knowing him has bearing on your very being, your character, your daily actions and guides how you live... God told the Israelites that it is better to follow the Word of God than to offer burnt sacrifices for NOT following His Word...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          1. "People" are NOT BAD. It is their sin that is bad and condemns them. It is completely up to everyone to make the choice as to whether they will acknowledge the God that created them and accept forgiveness for their sins. I'm not really a verse-quoter (but I can if need be). I believe in speaking to people in plain language that is current today... God's Word is without change and will never perish. It is up to each one of us as to whether we are willing to believe through faith and accept the Grace of God His forgiveness through His only Son, Jesus Christ.

2. People who have never had the opportunity to be given God's Word are not automatically condemned. God himself told us that if there is no person to deliver His word, the very Mountains and rocks would cry out His testimony... That's what "nature" and wonders of the world are about and do daily... The scenario you posed is to me an example that very well illustrates this. Man, by nature is born in sin, and yet your example had a burden to do "what is right" and cared for his "brothers and sisters" in their hour of need... I believe that God will honor that, as it is their hearts He looks at. Doing works is NOT what gets anyone into Heaven, but a pure heart that is evidenced by the way they live their life is what God looks at and sees.

I don't know how to explain it any better than that. Hope it helps... Knowing God is not a religion, He is a real being and knowing him is a relationship. Knowing him has bearing on your very being, your character, your daily actions and guides how you live... God told the Israelites that it is better to follow the Word of God than to offer burnt sacrifices for NOT following His Word...
          well put sir!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Very good

Comment

Where there is no Law, sin is not imputed...NKJV I think...

Romans has some deep doctrine on the subject also...From the beginning of time God has been revealing His invisible attributes thru that which is created (that's my paraphrase)

If you believe the bible, no one will have the excuse of "I didn't know".....to add to that, Paul also says the offense pales in comparison to the Gift.

I only know this for certain....the sinner I see in the mirror everyday sure is thankful for Grace.

Comment

Good conversation here. But since the op’s post has already changed direction how about another turn?

Regardless of how you feel about homosexuality, I want to know why someone’s identity must be so intensely wrapped around their sexual desires?

I’m attracted to/by... But that is not the center of my identity. If it were, we would need a lot more community labels. There would be the high heels turn me on community, the I like Asians community, the foreign accents are my thing community, the I like feet community, etc, etc, etc. I think that if the “lgbt community” would realize this, we would never have to deal with these issues about gender identity. People would see the gender identity issues the same way that they view people like that lady who was trying to be black: someone who wants to be something they’re not.

Maybe I’m oversimplifying things but I don’t understand the concept of being proud of what turns me on. I can understand a gay person’s belief that he doesn’t need to be ashamed but proud? I think that’s a little much.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                  Good conversation here. But since the op’s post has already changed direction how about another turn?

Regardless of how you feel about homosexuality, I want to know why someone’s identity must be so intensely wrapped around their sexual desires?

I’m attracted to/by... But that is not the center of my identity. If it were, we would need a lot more community labels. There would be the high heels turn me on community, the I like Asians community, the foreign accents are my thing community, the I like feet community, etc, etc, etc. I think that if the “lgbt community” would realize this, we would never have to deal with these issues about gender identity. People would see the gender identity issues the same way that they view people like that lady who was trying to be black: someone who wants to be something they’re not.

Maybe I’m oversimplifying things but I don’t understand the concept of being proud of what turns me on. I can understand a gay person’s belief that he doesn’t need to be ashamed but proud? I think that’s a little much.
                  As I started reading this my daughter said she just read something about 15 things LBGTQ people don't get. Like access to public transportation and other stupid crap..

Makes no sense because if they just lived their life and shut the crap up the bus driver or employer would have no clue what gender they liked or wanted to be themselves.

Comment

Working...
                  X