Toyota RAV4 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota RAV4 problem

So yesterday when my wife got home she had to walk back out to car and said car had no power, I walked out looked at it and confirmed with key on it was completely dead. Figured it was time for new battery. Well I unhooked the battery checked it and it was still fully charged and when I hooked battery back up all the lights started working and it would crank no problem.
    Tried it couple more times letting it run for little bit then shutting it off, and it finally did it one more time that when I turned key off it lost all power and would not do anything after. Just unhooked the positive when rehooked everything was good. Never had another problem after, showed wife what I did Incase it happens again and she just left me know it happened again while she is at work. Does any one else have an idea what to check or do to fix the problem?

Thank you

How are the battery terminals/wire connections? Honestly just sounds like a bad connection.

Comment

Unhook the negative and look for corrosion. It will be on battery or in cables. If on battery, just clean, if in cables it is easier to replace than get them clean.

Comment

That was first thing I looked for but cables look brand new no corrosion anywhere.

Comment

What gets me is it loses all power sometimes not even light come on

Comment

Probably need new cables. Next time it happens wiggle the positive cable, check for power. If still no, repeat with negative cable to diagnose which it is.

My Tahoe has done this for the past couple years. It may go 2-3 months between and it's been as frequent as 3 days. Figured it was computer issues that I wasn't interested in paying to fix. I would just disconnect both terminals, wait 5+ minutes and re-connect. When I hit 3 in one week. I tried to diagnose it again. So off to youtube and found the one video I needed. Ended up being loose wire in the terminal connection on the ground cable. When I would wiggle it power would come back on. New ground cable in the garage waiting for an open hour to install.

It's not a rav4 but here's a link to the video
            https://youtu.be/27WUPHZnOOs
            Last edited by mooney_ag; 07-13-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks, looks like my issue y an H2 as well.

Comment

My wife's Rav4 has been something similar a couple of times, then all of a sudden, it works properly. I am wondering if it may be something in the ignition switch.

Comment

Check on Toyotanation.com forum to see if others have had this problem.

Comment

Computer!

Comment

Working...
                    X