Boat guys how do you service steering bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat guys how do you service steering bar

I greased all my normal spots yesterday after work and noticed my steering is a little stiff. The nipples I thought I greased for steering aren't so apparently i haven't been servicing that area. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Looked up YouTube videos and similar ones I found says to pull the whole bar out which I tried to do last night but looks like with my design I have to pull the motor to do that. Not worth it for being a little stiff. Must be a way I can grease/pull whatever it needs without pulling motor

Is this Tele-flex steering or hydraulic?

If Tele-flex, the method I used was to remove it and replace with hydraulic steering. Many mornings I had to use my anchor as a hammer to get it unstuck.

Comment

Is there a little fill screw by the steering wheel? If so, your "hydraulic" fluid could just be low.

Comment

This is what I am getting at.
        Attached Files

Comment

I re-lubed mine with a tube i rigged up that would fit over the end of the cable & I could pressurize with my compressor. Wasn't hard to do at all & they worked like bran new. You will need to remove the cables on the motor end to do it. Just search lubricating teleflex cables in google & you will get some ideas. If they are really bad I would just replace them. But mine were pretty stiff. The safe bet is just to replace.

Comment

Is it the bar that moves near the motor? Sometimes those get dry after sitting or salt build up. Apply some sort of silicone,wd-40 and let it run into the cylinder. Then try. If its not hydraulic try pushing the motor one way or the other. Sometimes even lifting the motor helps with its weight.

Comment

This is the bar I'm talking about. You can see the nipples I've been greasing but theyre not what I thought they were. It still turns fine, just a tad stiff (you can turn wheel complete one way and other with 2 fingers on wheel) but just seems heavier than last time I used it and it's bugging me I can't figure out how to service

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good ol cable steering. They get stiff over time. The grease/lubrication inside the sleeve will harden. Could be something else, but mostly likely what I said. Had boats with cable steering and they would all stiffen over time. Cold mornings you couldn't hardly turn it.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                  This is the bar I'm talking about. You can see the nipples I've been greasing but theyre not what I thought they were. It still turns fine, just a tad stiff (you can turn wheel complete one way and other with 2 fingers on wheel) but just seems heavier than last time I used it and it's bugging me I can't figure out how to service

There should be a zert on there somewhere. The ones in the photo appear crusty. Remove and clean or replace. Apply some grease on the exposed part by hand

Comment

Those are for tilt and trim, grease the rod up and turn the wheel left and right a bunch

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post

Those grease zirks are for the tilt. U can unscrew that lock nut on the end of the steerin rod and pull that bar off of the steerin rod. On the other side is a big nut where the steerin cable scews on. Unscrew that, pull the steerin cable all the way out and clean and lube. Don't use grease it will turn hard. Always store your boat with the motor turned so that the silver rod is all the way inside and not exposed to air.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Order this S.S. 7-8"" STEERSMAN OMC YAM HON MER https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AZAIG?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Comment

And this Sea-Dog Line Steering Cable Boot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PRYGAW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Comment

To save from pulling the rod out, turn wheel all the way right, grease the rod, then left and grease other end, then work motor back and forth. Also climb under your steering wheel and grease the gear box under it that works the cables. The box getting dry and never receiving grease is what I've seen causing most peoples issues.

Comment

It's probably the cable in the sleeve that's making it stiff & not the lube points in your picture.

Comment

Working...
                              X