No announcement yet.

Duck Boat Sinking in Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that is horrible, they have one of those on Broken Bow Lake, my little grand daughter was on it a few weeks ago, going to have to rethink that deal from now on.

Comment

Awful story. Prayers for those families. Thinking about those children.

Comment

Originally posted by whackem and stackem View Post
        Those things are dangerous, they had 13 die in Arkansas when one sank. Prayers up
        Yup, hot springs

Comment

Road on one of, if not that one in the mid 90's when we were up there

No trouble on our trip but I would never get on another one

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
            There were two boats on the water when the storm hit, the other just was able to get to the shoreline.
            I saw 2 coming ashore during the storm on a news clip. Must have been a third.

Comment

very sad deal

Comment

I'm in Branson right now, staying at the hotel just down the street from the duckboat rental place. We were supposed to do a tour tomorrow. There were dozens of people out this evening praying, super sad.

Last edited by BigLig; 07-20-2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

What a horrific tragedy.

Prayers up for the families.

Comment

heres my question. as a human being that feels like something bad is happening, why wait on the captain/ driver of the boat to tell everyone to get off?? I just believe I would have grabbed a life vest and got out on my own regardless of what they said or told me!

Comment

Originally posted by Elite0429 View Post
                      heres my question. as a human being that feels like something bad is happening, why wait on the captain/ driver of the boat to tell everyone to get off?? I just believe I would have grabbed a life vest and got out on my own regardless of what they said or told me!
                      Exactly my thoughts. We took a duck boat ride in hot springs where the last major tragedy happened. I had it all planned out. If things started to go south I was gonna grab us a jacket and just squirt right out the side into the water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

We rode these duck boats in Branson a few years ago. After watching the videos that were several minutes long, there was plenty of time for people to get life jackets on and abandon the boat. Im not sure why they stayed on that thing until it went down? I would have grabbed my family and jumped. The video I watched showed a boat not far from them trying to help. Sad and tragic but I think the majority if not everyone could have survived by jumping off.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite0429 View Post
                          A lot of folks dont know what to do. I have grown up in boats since I was a child. Spent a mind blowing amount of time in boats of all types.

The average person from some large metropolitan area has nowhere near the knowledge of weather conditions and capabilities of a boat as we do. They were probably paralyzed by fear. They probably had no idea that the best option was to secure life vests and abandon ship.

These folks were most likely on vacation and wanted to experience something really out of the norm for themselves. Most likely they put 100% trust that the professional tour guide was operating a safe operation. I dont put any blame on the folks who drowned.

The Captain and crew should have immediately made the call over the pa system to secure life vest as soon as the wind started getting crazy. When the boat started taking on water and it became evident that the situation was headed for an emergency everyone should have been briefed on exiting and getting away from the boat. When its unavoidable everyone should be ordered off.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                            Exactly my thoughts. We took a duck boat ride in hot springs where the last major tragedy happened. I had it all planned out. If things started to go south I was gonna grab us a jacket and just squirt right out the side into the water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                            This boat you weren't gonna squirt out the side. It had plexiglass on the sides and a covered roof. Looked like a deathtrap in an emergency. Look at the picture in this article. http://www.wbay.com/content/news/The...488777951.html

Comment

According to a survivor, the captain told everyone do not worry about life jackets and stay seated. This woman and her nephew survived and were rescued not wearing life jackets. Read this article.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                                According to a survivor, the captain told everyone do not worry about life jackets and stay seated. This woman and her nephew survived and were rescued not wearing life jackets. Read this article.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-misso...ry?id=56704420
                                It makes me wonder at why point was this said? Upon boarding the boat in calm water? Surely not as they were taking water over the bow or just before.

Comment

Working...
                                X