No announcement yet.

What do you let kids shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest dang deer we can find! After they killed a couple of doe of course to get a little practice under their belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
      Make sure they date some ugly chicks first too. I nailed this smokeshow in college. Never wanted to have sex again.
      Haha!!! Now that's funny!!

Comment

Took my son to Haskell over the holidays. Guide gave us carte blanche. We knew there were big deer in the area...8's, 10's, 130"-145", maybe 150". Well a 2 y/o 6 point with no brow tines walked out late morning and there was little I could do to contain his vigor to take the animal. I knew that he would be just as happy with either the one in front or a monster. I'm not saying I wouldn't have let him shoot a bigger buck, but I was as happy as he was with the 6. He made a great shot. Broke its neck at 85 yards. It was his first buck.

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
          Haha!!! Now that's funny!!
          smokeshow? wth???/ lol

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
            Well, heck yeah! They'll be hooked for life trying to get a bigger one!
            Had a buddy who’s son killed a 14pt buck. His first kill. Went huntin a few times after that, never saw anything bigger, lost interest and never went again.

Comment

I let my son shoot whatever was legal, if he wanted. Once he started hunting with me, I let him shoot, I just filmed or watched except for bow season when he couldn't pull 40 lbs yet. I only got to shoot/hunt alone when he couldn't go. Boy, do I miss those days when he was young.

Comment

What ever they see as long as it meets the requirements.

My youngest has killed bigger then me when he was 11.

Comment

I think it depends on the kid and the type of hunt. If the child has put in time and effort to kill a big deer, I think he or she should be able to take a big one! I find this especially true on a free range place where big deer might not be as prevelant or common. That being said I have no problem taking the first doe that presents an opportunity! If the kid is going to be hooked on hunting, he will be hooked for the love of it, not just because his first deer was a monster.

Comment

I let my son do it for years. It is worth the memories.

Comment

Tough question for me because I hunted with my 5 year old grandson and my son this year for the first time. My son and I have hunted together for years, but agreed my grandson's first deer should be a doe. He shot one and was very excited. The next week we gave him an opportunity to shoot a legal 13" wide buck or spike if one walked out. He didn't have any luck so we will see what happens next year.

I believe no matter the age, if your child has put in the time shooting and practicing then its up to the parent to decide how their child's hunting experience develops.

My grandson enjoyed being in camp with the other lease members as much as the hunt. I want him to grow up enjoying the entire experience, remember he's only 5 years old.

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....
                        My grandson has killed several big deer but would rather shoot a Javi than any deer walking.

But grandpa "They have teeth"

Click image for larger version

Name:	ivan2 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	24526911

Comment

We shoot more for age than size of the buck on our place. Some times the kids get to shoot a pretty big buck. Here are 2 bucks I let my friends kids shoot last weekend. Yes I spoiled these kids for life. The kids get more enjoyment out of it then most grown men. I was sitting with the 10 yr old girl when she shot her buck. It is a beautiful 7.5 yr old 10 pt. She shot him at 210 yards and clipped the top of the heart. I know numerous grown men that can’t shoot that good. The 12 yr old boy is leading the Freer Deer Camp contest for youth Big 8. Both of these kids are still walking on cloud 9 and I couldn’t be more happier for them.
                          Attached Files

Comment

If we’re at the home place I’ll give him the first opportunity. At the lease he kills all my doe’s and management buck. If there’s no potential “trophies” I may let him shoot another cull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X