Lone elk in Southeastern Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lone elk in Southeastern Oklahoma

It would have long been dead by now. But heard that there was a large elk spotted along a county road near Atoka County. Other people started driving out to that location to see if they could get a chance sighting of it. Sure enough, it seemed to favor one particular area. With word spreading like that I’d imagine Mr Elk didn’t live much longer.

Where do you suppose it came from? This was before any known high fences were erected anywhere near that area.

OK has some free ranging herds.

Comment

"In Oklahoma, the largest free-ranging elk herds can be found on the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, as well as at Pushmataha, Cookson Hills, Spavinaw and Cherokee wildlife management areas. Small herds also inhabit private land in Kiowa, Comanche and Caddo counties."

Since 1966, a few fortunate hunters, selected through an annual drawing conducted by the Wildlife Department, are able to pursue elk hunting.

Comment

High fence escapee

Comment

Originally posted by Pigpiggy View Post
          It would have long been dead by now. But heard that there was a large elk spotted along a county road near Atoka County. Other people started driving out to that location to see if they could get a chance sighting of it. Sure enough, it seemed to favor one particular area. With word spreading like that I’d imagine Mr Elk didn’t live much longer.

Where do you suppose it came from? This was before any known high fences were erected anywhere near that area.
          When was this? Ar, and Ok both have elk. A elk from NE, Ar could travel through the Quachitas, and make it into the Kiamichi or surrounding areas, fairly simple, in a couple days, without being seen, or much effort. He could do the same, coming from western Ok, but not as easily, or without being seen, I wouldn't think.
          The why, I have no clue. Maybe he was a bachelor roaming, or maybe he thought he caught a whiff of something , maybe he had CWD .......

Comment

That elk probably didn't travel through the "quachitas".

Comment

Quite a big herd around Clayton state park. Just over a few mountains from atoka. But there are also several places around atoka/coalgate that have high fence elk. Either escapee or wild wouldn’t be a big surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                When was this? Ar, and Ok both have elk. A elk from NE, Ar could travel through the Quachitas, and make it into the Kiamichi or surrounding areas, fairly simple, in a couple days, without being seen, or much effort. He could do the same, coming from western Ok, but not as easily, or without being seen, I wouldn't think.
                The why, I have no clue. Maybe he was a bachelor roaming, or maybe he thought he caught a whiff of something , maybe he had CWD .......
                It has been several years. A relative first mentioned it when we were having lunch not far away. I didn’t have time then to go try and spot it. Work kept me too busy.

Comment

Used to see them all the time at Spavinaw.

Comment

A few years ago when elk hunting was opened state wide a bull was killed in Coal county. Everyone assumed it was a high fence escapee.
                    Last edited by Lost Arra; 12-19-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Any idea what county road? 7 mabe in between Atoka and Wapanucka?

Comment

Theres a few free ranging herds in OK.

Probably one of them.

Comment

I ask because I had a buddy with a ranch in between Atoka and Wapanucka (they sold a while back), but they had several elk on that place (high fence). The state was making them get rid of them. Not sure what the new owners did with them.

Comment

Originally posted by wloftis View Post
                            I ask because I had a buddy with a ranch in between Atoka and Wapanucka (they sold a while back), but they had several elk on that place (high fence). The state was making them get rid of them. Not sure what the new owners did with them.
                            Close to the turnpike.

Comment

There is a resident elk herd in NW Arkansas near the beginning of the Buffalo River. Not unheard of in my view that they could stray from home.

Comment

Working...
                              X