LED Conversion kits for Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone changed to LED headlights using built in bulb / conversion kits? Pro's / Cons.
    are they brighter or any better?
    Looking for brighter (but legal) lights.
    Best brands?

thoughts??

I've read about em, but the price ranges are all over the place. I'm interested as well

Comment

From what I understand you have to change the housing out to get the best light projection out of a LED bulb. If you don't it's not worth it. Factory housings are just not built to reflect that type of lamp, nor or they built for the heat they put out.

The headlights in my wife's Jeep were suck at best. I was looking at replacing just the bulbs and read that if I did I better buy a fire extinguisher to go with them! I put a set of J.W. Speaker LED headlights in it and the difference is, well, night and day.

Comment

I purchased the LED bulbs from headlight revolution. It was really simple and the adjustment for the LED projection was pretty straight forward. Mine was on a f250 and the LED are 10 better/brighter/cleaner.

Not super impressed with the high beams but that's what lightbars are for..

Comment

You need projector lenses. If you have them from factory then you can find a good LED bulb and be okay.

If you have reflector housings, you will blind oncoming traffic. It gives you the appearance that it’s brighter but you get no light down road.

You have to be able to focus the beam or else it will flood

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
            You need projector lenses. If you have them from factory then you can find a good LED bulb and be okay.

If you have reflector housings, you will blind oncoming traffic. It gives you the appearance that it’s brighter but you get no light down road.

You have to be able to focus the beam or else it will flood

This is true. My headlight housings were faded and cracked from the sun. So I go some new ones that looked really cool, blacked out. Big mistake, too dim....so I got some LED bulbs thinking it would fix the problem, it didn’t. BUT, I replace the halogen bulbs on my Mule Pro with the same brand LED’s, and it made a HIGE difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
              From what I understand you have to change the housing out to get the best light projection out of a LED bulb. If you don't it's not worth it. Factory housings are just not built to reflect that type of lamp, nor or they built for the heat they put out.

The headlights in my wife's Jeep were suck at best. I was looking at replacing just the bulbs and read that if I did I better buy a fire extinguisher to go with them! I put a set of J.W. Speaker LED headlights in it and the difference is, well, night and day.
              My son has a mustang that somebody converted to led with factory housing and the bulbs melted the lenses, ended up replacing housings and went back to factory bulbs

Comment

THANKS all for the info. Looks like I need to upgrade Housing if I want to go this route.

Comment

Found these.... Morimoto 2stroke 2.0

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lkGaKEb-GXE"]Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LED Headlight Bulb Review and Demo | Headlight Revolution - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like they work very well for reflector housings. Technology has grown since my last research. About $120 a set or so for low beams on Amazon

Comment

Don’t go cheap. Period. You will end up blinding everyone and with less useable light. So what everyone else has said is 100% right.

Comment

If you already have projector lenses then hid's are the best. I have LEDs in my truck and hid in the wife's 4runner. Her lights win without a doubt. Just make sure you put them in projectors.

Comment

Led lamps out of way less heat than regular halogen lamps so I’m not buying the melting your housings part.

The heat sink can get pretty hot bit I’ve been running LEDs in my Ram for over a heat with no issues from heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Led lamps out of way less heat than regular halogen lamps so I’m not buying the melting your housings part.

The heat sink can get pretty hot bit I’ve been running LEDs in my Ram for over a heat with no issues from heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          We’re not gonna win this one Mike...remember. We don’t know what we’re talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by texasbrad View Post
                            I purchased the LED bulbs from headlight revolution. It was really simple and the adjustment for the LED projection was pretty straight forward. Mine was on a f250 and the LED are 10 better/brighter/cleaner.

Not super impressed with the high beams but that's what lightbars are for..

Except light bars are illegal to use on the road/highway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

LED conversion kits are excellent to get more focused shiny lights. Akarui LED Headlight Bulbs and OPT7 Fluxbeam H11 LED are also useful if you are asking about brands. Similarly, you can also install HID light kit into your car. These also improve the beam and brightness.

Comment

Working...
                              X