Squirrels on new years eve!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squirrels on new years eve!

Finally found a squirrel hunting honey hole. Just got back into hunting them after 10+ years. Been struggling the last few trips. Only downed 3-4 in 5-6 trips due to poor shooting, poor location and poor woodsmanship. This morning it all came together. The stalks were good, my rifle is finally dialed in and the location provided the perfect mix of low cover and acorns. Ended up with 7. Would have had 8 but one of them fell in a hole 20' up a tree with no way to recover him. Had another almost get away despite being hit solid right behind the ear! After putting two more rounds in him, I still had to use the butt of the gun! All the others were DRT from being ear holed.

Had to make some fresh squirrel dumplings this afternoon!

Aw man, why? Love me some squirrel dumplings. Enjoy. Fried is good also.

Comment

I am jealous. That looks delicious!!!

Comment

Wish I could find a honey hole like that! Been going to corp land at Lavon and can only manage 1 or 2 on a good day.

Comment

Man I love shooting squirrels! As soon as deer season ends I'm going to start chasing them too!

Comment

I'm hungry now....

Comment

Being a good squirrel hunter leads to being a good deer hunter. All the skills you develop to hunt a sharp eyed, great hearing critter is same as deer. Try them broiled like chicken too. They good.

Comment

Love some tree rat .. BbQ is good as well

Comment

I'm hunting on big thicket land (jack gore baygall unit). Only problem with that is they shut down all hunting except hog hunting on Jan 4 (end of general deer season). They allow hog hunting till the first of Feb. Doesn't make any sense to me why they would allow hog hunting but not squirrel or duck hunting. Now I gotta find somewhere else to chase'em. We are MLD3 at my deer lease so deer season runs till the end of Feb so can't hunt them there either. Will be after them out there in May though!
                  Last edited by fishingsetx; 01-01-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I was just talking about that the other day. I plan on making a few trips this year as well. My lease is loaded and the rancher loves it when I kill anything that hurts his corn crop.

My 17 is tuned up and ready.

Comment

Looks awesome

Comment

I am very jealous.

Comment

Looks Good..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bud & Pen.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	24355080

Mine are ready. Been killing a few all along

Comment

Originally posted by GR5 View Post
                              [ATTACH]682718[/ATTACH]

Mine are ready. Been killing a few all along
                              I had an English Shepard that was a squirrel huntin fool. For a big dog, he sure liked gettin after them.

Comment

Working...
                              X