Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 08-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #301
stxslayer
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall and Comfort

I have switched all my corn feeders to eliminators and no have no issues with coons on corn feeders, but protein feeders are a different story. Eliminators are the only way to go then you can get rid of the cages all together.
stxslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #302
Reaper87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

I agree with the eliminator plates. I have had two malfunction after 6 years in the field though. The Teflon collar fits snugly against the shaft of the plate. It allows the plate to slide up and down when the unit turns on. That tiny little gap will fill with corn dust and debris overtime it oxidizes and the plate will become stuck. Simple fix is to periodically remove the plate and disassemble it. Then take a pocket knife or sandpaper and scrape the crud off the shaft and return to use.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #303
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper87 View Post
I agree with the eliminator plates. I have had two malfunction after 6 years in the field though. The Teflon collar fits snugly against the shaft of the plate. It allows the plate to slide up and down when the unit turns on. That tiny little gap will fill with corn dust and debris overtime it oxidizes and the plate will become stuck. Simple fix is to periodically remove the plate and disassemble it. Then take a pocket knife or sandpaper and scrape the crud off the shaft and return to use.
Before each season, we take off all the eliminator plates and give them a look over. Usually spray some gun scrubber on there and wire brush any crud off. I've had a few of those white plastic collars go missing, usually have some spares on hand but have had good dealings with Eliminator sending new ones.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2016, 05:07 AM   #304
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX
Default 8-7-2016 Update

We purchased four of the Eliminator rectangular spinner plates. My brother is going to install them next weekend. After this installation, each feeder will have a 22in wide varmint cage and an Eliminator spinner plate, which should be more than enough to prevent them from getting the corn.

We still haven't received any rain since the beginning of June, so it's been a very dry summer.

Here are some recent trail cam pictures from our 1,000 ASF trough:
Name:  MFDC0316 (Large).jpg
Views: 776
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  MFDC2006 (Large).jpg
Views: 795
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  MFDC2405 (Large).jpg
Views: 789
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  MFDC2417 (Large).jpg
Views: 781
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  MFDC2605 (Large).jpg
Views: 787
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  MFDC2754 (Large).jpg
Views: 785
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  MFDC2776 (Large).jpg
Views: 785
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  MFDC6122 (Large).jpg
Views: 790
Size:  76.9 KB

We still haven't seen 4 big bucks from last year, so hopefully they will show their faces soon. We are seeing some good jumps in antler growth this year on some bucks, but I have been pretty discouraged with the growth of some other bucks. I will say that our younger deer, especially the 2.5yr olds, seem to get better and better every year. I still think we really need to thin out our herd a little more. We are doing a deer count with our biologist in late August, so I'll pick his brain and see what he thinks. I'll upload some more pictures later next week once I'm back in town.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #305
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Looking Great!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #306
J-Carp
Ten Point

Those eliminator plates will cut your corn cost ten fold. We recently installed them and went from 2 sacks a week per feeder to 30lbs a week per feeder with the same settings. Such a relief being able to cut out all that wasted money and put it towards something else, like protein.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #307
TxHuntFish
Banned!!!

That narrow 10 is a really nice two year old. I'd kill that big 8 this fall. His 2's are long, but 3's leave some to be desired. That said, he's bigger than anything running around our place this year. The drought of 2011 really hurt our place and it shows with the lack of mature deer to harvest this season.
TxHuntFish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #308
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHuntFish View Post
That narrow 10 is a really nice two year old. I'd kill that big 8 this fall. His 2's are long, but 3's leave some to be desired. That said, he's bigger than anything running around our place this year. The drought of 2011 really hurt our place and it shows with the lack of mature deer to harvest this season.
Thanks. I agree on the big 8 and wish his G3's were taller although I love his frame, width and brow tines. That one buck with the tall brow tines (picture #5) didn't really get much bigger this year from last year, so not sure if we should take him or not. He doesn't have great height and I think he is 4.5 or 5.5yrs. Which 10pt are you referring as a 2.5yr old, just curious?

I really like the young 10pt in the last picture. His frame is nice. Any thoughts on what you think his age is? I was thinking 3.5yrs.

There is a 10pt in picture # 4 that looks like a 1.5yr old, but it's hard to believe he is 1.5yrs, so I was thinking he's a 2.5yr old. His body looks like a yearling. What do y'all think?

Last edited by bgleaton; 08-07-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #309
TxHuntFish
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
Thanks. I agree on the big 8 and wish his G3's were taller although I love his frame, width and brow tines. That one buck with the tall brow tines (picture #5) didn't really get much bigger this year from last year, so not sure if we should take him or not. He doesn't have great height and I think he is 4.5 or 5.5yrs. Which 10pt are you referring as a 2.5yr old, just curious?

I really like the young 10pt in the last picture. His frame is nice. Any thoughts on what you think his age is? I was thinking 3.5yrs.

There is a 10pt in picture # 4 that looks like a 1.5yr old, but it's hard to believe he is 1.5yrs, so I was thinking he's a 2.5yr old. His body looks like a yearling. What do y'all think?
The 10 in the first and second picture was the two year old I was referring to.

The 10 in the last pic I believed to be a three year old at first glance. He'll probably always be lacking in tine length, but he does have a pretty frame.

That little ten could very well be just a year old. If so, he's definitely one to watch. My biggest yearlings will usually only have six points. I may have one that has 8 this year. I'd have to go back through pics to see. About half of our yearlings are spikes. We try to get all our deer to 4.5 before culling (with a few exceptions). We have an ugly three year old 8 running around that is going to die this season. He was an ugly 8 last year and an ugly six point as a yearling.

Last edited by TxHuntFish; 08-07-2016 at 10:57 PM.
TxHuntFish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #310
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

Bgleaton did y'all have any trouble getting the dear to come eat out of these new trough feeders? I just put in one of the Allseasons electric trough feeders and the Bucks haven't come around it in two weeks now.
Some of the doe are showing up but not all of them.

Chootum!
Cajun shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #311
bgleaton
Ten Point

We haven't had any trouble with any deer eating out of the All-Seasons trough or any of our Krivoman protein feeders. We had to make some modifications to our trough feeder to keep the raccoons and turkeys from eating out of it. This time of year, they normally go through 1,000lbs in about 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #312
Peyton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs

I added an All Seasons trough feeder at every protein station about 4 years ago. They were all added to established feed stations and quickly became the preferred feeder in every pen compared to the old feeders. Old feeders are 20yr old cattle trough feeders and newer spout feeders. For some reason, deer love this feeder!
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 AM   #313
bgleaton
Ten Point

I agree. They love our ASF trough feeder. This trough feeder has the most activity around it when compared to all of our other feeder locations.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:43 AM   #314
bow4my2
Pope & Young

great looking place
bow4my2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #315
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Quote:
We haven't had any trouble with any deer eating out of the All-Seasons trough or any of our Krivoman protein feeders. We had to make some modifications to our trough feeder to keep the raccoons and turkeys from eating out of it. This time of year, they normally go through 1,000lbs in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
I added an All Seasons trough feeder at every protein station about 4 years ago. They were all added to established feed stations and quickly became the preferred feeder in every pen compared to the old feeders. Old feeders are 20yr old cattle trough feeders and newer spout feeders. For some reason, deer love this feeder!

Quote:
I agree. They love our ASF trough feeder. This trough feeder has the most activity around it when compared to all of our other feeder locations.

Man I don't get it. We're now going on the third week and I don't have a single picture of the mature bucks any where around this feeder. They were eating about 500 pounds per week and not it's almost not moving.

I'm still using the same protein and it's located in almost the exact same place.

Chootum!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:00 AM   #316
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Place is looking amazing!!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #317
Peyton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun shooter View Post
Man I don't get it. We're now going on the third week and I don't have a single picture of the mature bucks any where around this feeder. They were eating about 500 pounds per week and not it's almost not moving.

I'm still using the same protein and it's located in almost the exact same place.

Chootum!

Is it a timed feeder? The ones I have are free choice. Maybe the bucks don't like your schedule.
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #318
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Default Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
Is it a timed feeder? The ones I have are free choice. Maybe the bucks don't like your schedule.

Yes it is a timed feeder but I started out loading up the head so feed would alway be available. They haven't even used up what's in the head yet because they're not showing up. It just seems like they just don't like the feeder itself.

Chootum!

Last edited by Cajun shooter; 08-08-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #319
wloftis
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over Texas

Awesome thread, and great deer you have here!
wloftis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #320
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default Update-8-20-2016

For the month of August, we have received over 4.3in so far. When I was out there this past weekend, we received 2.65in on Saturday alone. I was able to top off feeders. They are still hammering the protein, but hopefully it will slow down a little since we received some rain and since the mesquites are full of beans. Here are some pictures from the weekend.

Got one of the pop up blinds set up. I really have to build another blind quick:
Name:  IMG_8628 (Large).jpg
Views: 631
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8659 (Large).jpg
Views: 636
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8675 (Large).jpg
Views: 631
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8679 (Large).jpg
Views: 633
Size:  180.9 KB

Trail Cam Pictures:
Name:  Big Brow 10pt.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  Big Framed 8.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  Group of Bucks.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  Group of Bucks (2).jpg
Views: 630
Size:  71.9 KB

Here is a 4.5yr old 10pt that made a pretty big jump from last year. I really hope this buck makes it to at least 6.5yrs, he could be really special:
Name:  10pt - Lasy Year vs This Year.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  94.1 KB

This is a strange buck. I have pictures of him in July and he looked fine, but recently he got torn up on his side and his antlers got deformed. Pretty strange. He's on the hit list just because he is at least 4.5yrs, maybe older, and doesn't have the genetics we want:
Name:  Weird Buck.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  45.0 KB
Old 08-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #321
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default 8-20-2016 - Update

Here's another 4.5yr old 11pt. We hope he makes it to at least 6.5yrs because he's another buck that could be special in a year or two. The date listed on the picture is incorrect. This was taken on 8/16/16:
Name:  4.5yr old 10.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  75.1 KB
Old 08-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #322
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County

Nice. Looking good.
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #323
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

got some better deer this year. Looking good

Why so much corn on the ground?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #324
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

Just got all caught up, looking real good!
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #325
Cabela
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Looking good man good luck this season.
Cabela is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #326
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
got some better deer this year. Looking good

Why so much corn on the ground?
My 3-year old son, Mason, likes to dump bags over while I'm filling the feeders. He says he is just feeding the deer.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #327
DSDC
Four Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Where do you buy the Eliminator plates and are the compatible with most feeders??
DSDC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #328
TXBowhunter11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Seymour, Wichita Falls, Megargel

Awesome thread! I have never been more jealous in my life! Awesome deer, awesome turkey, awesome house, awesome barn, awesome land, awesome river. Just awesome! Everything!
TXBowhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #329
RRagan83
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher, Edwards, Kimble, and McCulloch county

looking good
RRagan83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #330
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDC View Post
Where do you buy the Eliminator plates and are the compatible with most feeders??
You can buy the eliminator spinner plates from texasdirecthunting.com, but they will only work on feeders with 1/4in shafts. Some feeders have 1/8th inch motor shafts and the eliminator plates wont work on them.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #331
Trinity Outfitters
Eight Point

Deer are looking good!
Trinity Outfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #332
bgleaton
Ten Point

Thanks! We have a lot of deer to shoot this year. We are really trying to get our neighbors to join us so we can really take the next step and not have to worry about these really good 4.5yr olds walk. I hope our neighbors and us can shoot the proper # of does this year to help keep the numbers in check. Recently, we did a spotlight count and came up with 1 deer/4.5acres, but this is only after one count. We will do at least two more counts and take the average, but if this # holds, I would really like to see us get this down to 1 deer/8 acres. The good thing is that the native habitat on our property doesn't show any signs of overpopulation.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #333
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Talking about the deer looking tore up on his side. We have several deer that have open wounds even a little bloody on their sides like this. It looks like they are scratching really hard to me. Im hoping its not some kind of fly bites or parasites that will hurt the herd. He may have been scratching against something and bumped his antlers on both sides.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #334
gingib
Pope & Young

eliminator spin plates only work on 12v motors
Old 08-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #335
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
eliminator spin plates only work on 12v motors
Yes, thanks for mentioning that. Make sure that your 12V motor has a 1/4in shaft. We had several 12v monarch timer boxes/motors that had 1/8th inch shafts, so we had to buy new motors to make the eliminator spinner plates work.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:09 AM   #336
bgbean90
Six Point

Hunt In: Boerne, San Saba

First time seeing this thread. Really enjoyed reading through it and it is undeniable you're doing something right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bgbean90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #337
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default 9/4/2016 Update - Fall Food Plot Prep & Snake Bite

My dad was able to mow the 5-acre field that we will be planting later this month. I met Adam Thompson, a Tecomate rep, through texasbowhunter and he will be plowing and planting Max-Attract in this 5-acre field for us. I have talked to Adam on the phone and via e-mail and he is a super nice guy and obviously knows a ton about food plots. We have two other 3-acre fields that we are spraying the cactus in and prepping this fall, but we won't be planting them until the fall of 2017. Here is a picture of the 5-acre field we are planting this fall:
Name:  IMG_9089 (Large).jpg
Views: 532
Size:  98.2 KB
Name:  IMG_9090 (Large).jpg
Views: 532
Size:  92.0 KB

Here is the outline of the plot. We got onto Web Soil Survey to see where our best soils are on the place and this pink/red colored area is the best soil we have - Clay Loam:
Name:  IMG_9006 (Large).jpg
Views: 529
Size:  116.4 KB

My parents took our golden retriever to the ranch this weekend. my mom let her out in the backyard, which is all fenced in, around 6am and saw her rubbing her snout and acting funny after about 10 minutes. Once Stella ran inside my mom noticed a lot of blood on her snout and her face all swollen. She was bitten by a rattlesnake. They never saw the snake. My mom and dad took her to the vet in Brady, TX and he was awesome. Here are some pictures of Stella and what they gave her.
Name:  IMG_9091 (Large).jpg
Views: 536
Size:  58.7 KB
Name:  IMG_9093 (Large).jpg
Views: 534
Size:  80.0 KB
The vet said he normally will give a dog just an IV, benadryl and some other stuff, but Stella's breathing was very sporadic. He told my mom that there is one thing he gives his dog and my mom told him to do whatever he would do to his dog. He gave her RTLR which is plasma from donors vaccinated for rattlesnakes.
Name:  IMG_9094 (Large).jpg
Views: 531
Size:  46.3 KB
It has been 24-hours now and Stella is doing great. Almost all of the swelling is gone. The vet also mentioned that the snout is one of the best places to be bitten because its a vascular area...I would have thought the opposite.

I will get the trail cam cards tomorrow and will post some updated pictures tomorrow evening.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #338
jason86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney county

Quote:
My dad was able to mow the 5-acre field that we will be planting later this month. I met Adam Thompson, a Tecomate rep, through texasbowhunter and he will be plowing and planting Max-Attract in this 5-acre field for us. I have talked to Adam on the phone and via e-mail and he is a super nice guy and obviously knows a ton about food plots. We have two other 3-acre fields that we are spraying the cactus in and prepping this fall, but we won't be planting them until the fall of 2017. Here is a picture of the 5-acre field we are planting this fall:
Attachment 811220
Attachment 811221

Here is the outline of the plot. We got onto Web Soil Survey to see where our best soils are on the place and this pink/red colored area is the best soil we have - Clay Loam:
Attachment 811222

My parents took our golden retriever to the ranch this weekend. my mom let her out in the backyard, which is all fenced in, around 6am and saw her rubbing her snout and acting funny after about 10 minutes. Once Stella ran inside my mom noticed a lot of blood on her snout and her face all swollen. She was bitten by a rattlesnake. They never saw the snake. My mom and dad took her to the vet in Brady, TX and he was awesome. Here are some pictures of Stella and what they gave her.
Attachment 811223
Attachment 811224
The vet said he normally will give a dog just an IV, benadryl and some other stuff, but Stella's breathing was very sporadic. He told my mom that there is one thing he gives his dog and my mom told him to do whatever he would do to his dog. He gave her RTLR which is plasma from donors vaccinated for rattlesnakes.
Attachment 811225
It has been 24-hours now and Stella is doing great. Almost all of the swelling is gone. The vet also mentioned that the snout is one of the best places to be bitten because its a vascular area...I would have thought the opposite.

I will get the trail cam cards tomorrow and will post some updated pictures tomorrow evening.

Glad to hear the pup is doing good. We had 4 snake encounters this weekend. They are out in force. Last 5 years 3 have been killed. We have 4 dogs at camp all the time and one was spotted 30 yards from the cabin. Pretty scary stuff.
jason86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #339
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

BGleaton have you seen many rattlesnakes in the area ? We are in Menard as well and fortunately haven't seen any so far.
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #340
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County

Hate to hear that about the snake bite. Glad she's doing better.

That 5 acre field is going to be a nice addition.
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #341
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydestik View Post
BGleaton have you seen many rattlesnakes in the area ? We are in Menard as well and fortunately haven't seen any so far.
I haven't personally seen many, but we have a snake wrangler come out every year and he has caught anywhere from 15 to 30 at a time. My brother and dad have shot a couple. Right now, they are moving a lot because of the cooler temperatures in the morning. They are making their way back to their dens.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #342
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Sure glad to hear the pup is doing good.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #343
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default Trail Cam Pics-9-4-2016

Here are some recent trail cam pictures. Only two bucks on the hit list shown below - the old 8pt in picture # 5 on the left and the old buck with the curled brow tines.

Name:  MFDC0928 (Large).jpg
Views: 472
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  MFDC2066 (Large).jpg
Views: 476
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  MFDC3699 (Large).jpg
Views: 473
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  MFDC3782 (Large).jpg
Views: 473
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  MFDC4134 (Large).jpg
Views: 475
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  08210197 (Large).jpg
Views: 472
Size:  73.2 KB
Old 09-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #344
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default 9-15-2016 Trail Cam Pic Update

Old 8pt:
Name:  09010624 (Large).jpg
Views: 449
Size:  38.9 KB

Old 7pt (CULL):
Name:  PICT0175 (Large).jpg
Views: 448
Size:  59.7 KB

Old 11pt (Moses) on left & 4.5yr old 10pt on right:
Name:  09050085 (Large).jpg
Views: 450
Size:  64.1 KB

10pt & 8pt:
Name:  IMG_0356 (Large).jpg
Views: 447
Size:  45.7 KB

Nice 4.5yr old 10pt & other young bucks:
Name:  IMG_1598 (Large).jpg
Size:  39.9 KB

Scared Buck - not sure what to think about him:
Name:  IMG_2387 (Large).jpg
Size:  43.7 KB

Other young bucks:
Name:  IMG_2574 (Large).jpg
Views: 447
Size:  55.5 KB
Old 09-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #345
J-Carp
Ten Point

That scared buck, think her may have gotten hit by a vehicle? Looks to be about 2.5...id let him go for sure

Old 09-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #346
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
That scared buck, think her may have gotten hit by a vehicle? Looks to be about 2.5...id let him go for sure

I'm not sure what happened to him. The only road near us is an easement road that's used by two landowners. I have pictures of him about a month earlier and his body and antlers were in good shape and then something happened to him, just not sure what.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #347
J-Carp
Ten Point

That's a mystery for sure! He's young, as long as he appears healthy I'd let him grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #348
gingib
Pope & Young

How much does it cost someone to plant it for you?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #349
jason86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney county

Moses is awesome he is my favorite deer you have. I love those brows and I'm a sucker for unique deer. Hope he ends up on your wall.
jason86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #350
bgleaton
Ten Point

He is definitely unique and I hope that someone gets a chance at him this year.

We did a second spotlight count and the numbers are still showing around 1 deer/4.5 acres. Based on these two counts, we will need to harvest about 10 does off our property this year. I really hope that we can get our neighbors to shoot the right number of does this year. Unfortunately, their lack of killing (does) has really increased the population and not in a good way. We would really like to get our numbers to around 1 deer/7 acres, but that will take 3 years or more to get the numbers where we want and we won't be able to get there without our neighbors help. We are hoping for the best.