Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elephant Mountain Archery Mule Deer

My fellow blood brothers,
    Who else is headed out West next week? Also, does anybody know where the campgrounds are located at? The TPWD website does not have much information. The only directions on their website I could find just shows you how to get to the hunter check station. Are the campgrounds near that?

Congrats on drawing that hunt! My Pops & I hunted it several years ago, didn't get anything but saw some nice bucks; Had a great time.

If I remember correctly the campground is due north of the WMA HQ, adjacent to Calamity Creek & the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by TxArcheo View Post
      Congrats on drawing that hunt! My Pops & I hunted it several years ago, didn't get anything but saw some nice bucks; Had a great time.

If I remember correctly the campground is due north of the WMA HQ, adjacent to Calamity Creek & the highway.
      Awesome, thanks for the info bro.

Comment

My buddy and I were there! We didn’t spot a shooter in our area and passed on a few marginal bucks. Super fun hunt and great country. Some guys saw a couple of bruisers in other areas. Hats off to the staff at Elephant Mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by csbonn View Post
          My buddy and I were there! We didn’t spot a shooter in our area and passed on a few marginal bucks. Super fun hunt and great country. Some guys saw a couple of bruisers in other areas. Hats off to the staff at Elephant Mountain.

By marginal do you mean younger bucks or were there size restrictions?

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
            By marginal do you mean younger bucks or were there size restrictions?

They want you to harvest mature bucks and use antler restrictions to simplify your call in the field. You wouldn’t get in trouble for harvesting an 7-8 yr old, regardless of rack measurement.

I saw one mature buck just before dark (not pictured) from a distance but couldn’t tell if it would have made the 18” outside spread minimum size.

Comment

Excellent pictures! Elephant Mountain is an amazing place

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post

Thanks! I will forever put in for EM-WMA. It’s a gem.

Comment

elephant mtn

Congrats on the draw, wackmaster, been trying for 3yrs can't seem to get er. hHave fun get agood un. give us updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                    been trying to draw for three years, dangit good luck wack. Following.Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by bowburro.53 View Post
                      Congrats on the draw, wackmaster, been trying for 3yrs can't seem to get er. hHave fun get agood un. give us updates.
                      Thank you sir. The hunt was actually last month. I did not kill a mule deer but I had a great time. I did however kill a javelina on the last day while I was walking back to my truck. I saw them down at the bottom of the hill and thought, 'if I can get within 10 yards, I am going to whack one', and if you have ever hunted javelina then you know it takes little to no skill to walk up to one undedected. Anyway, the hiking was not difficult at all compared to other mule deer hunts I have done and the scenery was absolutely beautiful. My only complaint about the hunt is that it was way too short. Three days is not nearly enough time to kill a mule deer, especially with antler restrictions.

Comment

Glad you had a good time, beautiful country out there

Comment

When i was there 15years ago our camping area was within our compartment and it was just a bladed off area about 40 ft X60ft. Do they actually have a central place to camp now?

Comment

When the hunt states compartment, does that mean hunting in specific area or blind?

Comment

Originally posted by Brown E View Post
                              When the hunt states compartment, does that mean hunting in specific area or blind?
                              Area. Usually a pretty large area of over a thousand acres.
                              Will vary in size depending on which WMA.

Comment

Working...
                              X