Night Hunting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Hunting Question

When you guys go out varmit hunting at night, do you give the local game warden a courtesy heads up or no? I'm wanting to get into the game but at the same time want to make sure I do it right.

Sometimes I do sometimes I don’t.
    No right or wrong.

Comment

Never. Do you call the cops when you're going to drive?

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post

That’s the way I think too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah give them something to do

Comment

Several of these threads have been started lately. I've been in the no call camp but the outdoor annual does ask for a courtesy call.

Artificial light
            Artificial light of any form that casts or reflects a beam of light onto or otherwise illuminates a game animal or bird may not be used as an aid to hunt, except battery-powered scoping devices that project a light or dot only inside the scope; pin sight lights on archery equipment; or laser sighting devices used by legally blind hunters, or hunters who have a documented permanent physical disability that prevents them from using traditional firearm sighting devices.

Non-protected nongame animals and fur-bearing animals may be hunted at night with the aid of an artificial light on private property. If hunting at night, please make a courtesy telephone call to your local game warden.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              Several of these threads have been started lately. I've been in the no call camp but the outdoor annual does ask for a courtesy call.

Artificial light
              Artificial light of any form that casts or reflects a beam of light onto or otherwise illuminates a game animal or bird may not be used as an aid to hunt, except battery-powered scoping devices that project a light or dot only inside the scope; pin sight lights on archery equipment; or laser sighting devices used by legally blind hunters, or hunters who have a documented permanent physical disability that prevents them from using traditional firearm sighting devices.

Non-protected nongame animals and fur-bearing animals may be hunted at night with the aid of an artificial light on private property. If hunting at night, please make a courtesy telephone call to your local game warden.
              Yep, read that today which is why I ask.

Comment

Been doing the courtesy call for years, it saves the wardens time from watching you so they can check out all the other non-callers, also saves you an interruption in your hunting when the warden does pull you over to go through your vehicle, boxes, etc..

Comment

We used too when I hunted the panhandle area. Especially when we were doing a barmint contest. The GW would always tell us thanks for the heads up and never bothered us. He would always say thanks for the heads up so he didn't have to investigate us if he got a call or saw our light. It also developed a decent relationship with him.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
                    That’s the way I think too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I met and asked my local GW and he gave me his number and said to call/text him when I planned to hunt at night.

I don't call or text him though for two reasons. One is I'm in a spot where it's very doubtful anyone would hear and call in the shots. I've shot many many times over the last two years and GW never stopped by so I assume no one has ever heard/called. Two is I don't shoot but maybe once every 3-4 trips out and I was hunting at night 2 nights every week so that would be a lot of texts.

Comment

When I'm on my place, no. When I'm on someone else's place, yes.

Three weeks ago Friday night it sounded like the OK Corral on my place. No problems.

Comment

We always do, figure it doesn’t hurt to have a little courtesy for the GW.

Comment

I think our place is big enough to not call ... 3400 acres, closest neighbor probably won't even hear the shot. if a warden wants to come pay a visit then by all means, come on... can't hurt when you're doing everything by the book

Comment

Ive tried in the past but i never get an answer so i dont bother anymore.

Comment

Working...
                            X