Elk Hunt 2019 - archery - availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavens Gate Outfitters out of Riggins Idaho. There is one opening left the week of Sept 5-12 with the remaining 2 yrs sold out. I am signed up with two more Texas hunters. Would be great to get another TBH member to hunt with us. This is a horseback hunt. I looked at every Elk hunt at DSC plus all I could contact from TBH recommendations. I felt this hunt best fit my goals. We will access to 1200 sq miles of wilderness in the Payette National Forest. They claim will will never see another group of hunters. We will horseback in five hours to heated wall camps with a cook. Everything provided expect your alcohol, but they will pack that in for you. Will hunt unit 23 between I95 and the snake river on the western side not far from the Oregon/Washington border. This is a combo hunt so you have and opportunity to take mule deer, bear or cougar. I am focusing on elk but if we finish early they will get the hounds and chase bear. Altitude is 7500 feet. I will be going in a day early to acclimate and do some fishing. It’s a 27 hour drive so I am probably going to fly to Boise and rent a car for the 3 hr drive north.

This is my first mountain hunt so any suggestions for this hunt welcome.

If you are interested shoot me a PM with questions or contact Karen@hgoid.com. Their website is www.hgoid.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good area. Have your legs in shape . There are only two directions you can go in that country. Up and down

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
      Good area. Have your legs in shape . There are only two directions you can go in that country. Up and down

Hoping that is what the horse is for... seriously this trip is my motivation to lose 15 pounds and get in shape. At least as good shape as possible for 65 with a knee replacement.

Comment

When I bow hunted Utah 20 years ago I was in shape.....climbing and walking. I was not prepared for the elevation. We knew this could be an issue. My Dad and I actually went in 2 1/2 days early. I want to say by day four of the trip I felt good. There are many ways to prepare for the elevation these days. Not all of which are safe for individuals. Being in good physical shape helps a great deal. Preparing for the elevation is on a different level. You will get used to it though. Have fun during your preparation this off season. Have a great trip. Looking forward to your post when you return.

Comment

The closest set of bleachers should be your new best friend for the next 8 months. Have fun.

Comment

I am 60 so I can relate. I highly recommend a set of trekking poles. They help tremendously taking stress of your knees, balancing going over blow downs etc. We covered 59 miles in 9 days last year on a backpack hunt next door in 19a. I forgot them one day and it sucked. Never again. I’d rather forget my weapon than my trekking poles
            Last edited by huntingfanatic; 01-23-2019, 04:17 PM.

Comment

pm sent

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

drool.....

Comment

Trekking poles. Great idea. Thanks. The bleachers as well. Stair master at the Y. Going to start Horseback riding with a friend. Been 40 years since I’ve been on a horse. Hope I can reach the stirrup.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Vitamin C is your friend in higher altitudes. That and ALA, alpha lipoic acid.

Acute altitude sickness can ruin a hunt.

Comment

Did you receive my PM?

Comment

Buy a wolf tag.

Change out your socks mid day. Don’t forget to Have fun

Comment

I was in that area a couple of years ago, saw lots of elk. It is extremely steep country.

Comment

Working...
                              X