Has anyone lost a lease by posting pictures of deer on the web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    If you do not own the property then spend money improving it at your own risk and knowing that you can lose it at any moment....

For the life of me I will never understand why anyone would sink money into building lodges and houses and spending thousands upon thousands of dollars improving a piece of land that they do not own... Nothing lasts forever..
    I feel the same way. If you can't get it off the property in a weekend it's going to hurt when the lease ends. We take care of the land and have done small things like putting up a new gate, using our tractor to fix a road, etc. but no permanent structures.

I've known people to get a lease in the spring, built a cabin/metal building, done countless hours of dozer work on the property, replace gates and fence lines, then get kicked off before hunting season even starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
      With respect to the seizure of game, start here, and tell me if you think this is too broadly written:
      Sec. 12.013. POWER TO TAKE WILDLIFE; FISH. (a) An employee of the department acting within the scope of the employee's authority may possess, take, transport, release, and manage any of the wildlife and fish in this state for investigation, propagation, distribution, education, disease diagnosis or prevention, or scientific purposes.

if the employee went into a dwelling(permanent or temporary) without consent or warrant, then said employee was NOT acting within their scope. But, I suppose if the animal was outside...

yes...it is broadly written.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
        Sec. 12.013. POWER TO TAKE WILDLIFE; FISH. (a) An employee of the department acting within the scope of the employee's authority may possess, take, transport, release, and manage any of the wildlife and fish in this state for investigation, propagation, distribution, education, disease diagnosis or prevention, or scientific purposes.

if the employee went into a dwelling(permanent or temporary) without consent or warrant, then said employee was NOT acting within their scope. But, I suppose if the animal was outside...

yes...it is broadly written.
        Maybe. Problem is, they get to seize, then you get to try to get it back. Several thou$and dollars later.

Comment

agreed

Comment

Posting pics is the worst thing you can do, especially in east Texas now ofcdays. Honestly I think it’s just as bad to post these deer everyone does, asking how old they are and what they will score. Good friend just lost his lease after 3 Years in a row of killing a big deer. Posted the pics and now the place is gone. Friend of LO now wants the place and has it to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
              Posting pics is the worst thing you can do, especially in east Texas now ofcdays. Honestly I think it’s just as bad to post these deer everyone does, asking how old they are and what they will score. Good friend just lost his lease after 3 Years in a row of killing a big deer. Posted the pics and now the place is gone. Friend of LO now wants the place and has it to himself.
              I would assume though that the reason the deer get that big in the first place is due to who's managing the herd and putting in the work to get them that way.

If there's a new lessee and they're not as good at management, or resisting the "If it's brown, it's down" mentality, they'll get burned by paying the higher rate and seeing the diminishing returns in subsequent years.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                With respect to the seizure of game, start here, and tell me if you think this is too broadly written:

I got no argument with your quote. Show me the part that he/she can enter my home to look for said animal without a search warrant.
                I don't believe that part exists. Some believe it does.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                  I feel the same way. If you can't get it off the property in a weekend it's going to hurt when the lease ends. We take care of the land and have done small things like putting up a new gate, using our tractor to fix a road, etc. but no permanent structures.

I've known people to get a lease in the spring, built a cabin/metal building, done countless hours of dozer work on the property, replace gates and fence lines, then get kicked off before hunting season even starts.

Think I'd have to burn it down

Comment

Very very common.

Comment

The circumstances where a LEO can enter a dwelling with out a warrant are few. Some being possible destruction of evidence, or a person who is in danger. I don't think a possible freezer full of possible poached venison qualifies.

I believe you are a lawyer, what avenue would you pursue if a client was arrested in a game case, where an officer entered the house without a warrant or permission. Not looking for legal free advise, just what someone could expect from an attorney.

I just get tired of people saying that game wardens have the ability to look anywhere they want in search of violations.

Comment

Back to the threads original theme. A few people I know that have put money and lots of time improving a place have improved their selves out of a place to hunt. Eventually someone shoes up and convinces the landowner to lease it to them for lots more money.
                        The biggest thing that seems to cause lease losses is the landowner selling or passing away, and the family sells.

Comment

I lost a place that I had hunted for 18 years. This happened just after the land owner asked for pictures of the deer we had killed so he could show a “friend”. Coincidence? Maybe but I think not.

DO NOT SHARE PICTURES IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR PLACE TO HUNT.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                            The circumstances where a LEO can enter a dwelling with out a warrant are few. Some being possible destruction of evidence, or a person who is in danger. I don't think a possible freezer full of possible poached venison qualifies.

I believe you are a lawyer, what avenue would you pursue if a client was arrested in a game case, where an officer entered the house without a warrant or permission. Not looking for legal free advise, just what someone could expect from an attorney.

I just get tired of people saying that game wardens have the ability to look anywhere they want in search of violations.
                            I'm not arguing the "home entry" point. Never have on this thread.

I'm not a criminal defense attorney, so won't opine on that. I do know what others have done in that situation, but that's between them and their counsel.

Comment

I know they come onto land all the time. One landowner we had wanted us to lock the gate while we were there to make him walk in. We met him, he checked us for a while, and in 10 yrs he wrote up a couple of minor things that were deserved. One member was leaving one day with a deer in the cooler, but forgot the tag and left it with the carcass. They took him beck in and went to the carcass, and sure enough, it was right there on the deer's leg. He wrote him up, and said if I have to make you legal, I will write you up. It was about a $75 fine, so nothing much to it. He was fair, but I think the previous guys there were a bunch of outlaws, because he came by a lot.

It may not be apparent in my writing, but I don't have any issues with law enforcement, but I feel if we don't exercise our civil rights they will cease to exist. Now if one came to my house and I was guilty, I would probably let him in and take him right to it. But I would have no problem informing one he needs a search warrant if he is on a fishing expedition, same with my truck, if asked to search. Law enforcement is a job it takes special people to do well at, and I have the utmost respect for anyone who chooses this for a career.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                                I know they come onto land all the time. One landowner we had wanted us to lock the gate while we were there to make him walk in. We met him, he checked us for a while, and in 10 yrs he wrote up a couple of minor things that were deserved. One member was leaving one day with a deer in the cooler, but forgot the tag and left it with the carcass. They took him beck in and went to the carcass, and sure enough, it was right there on the deer's leg. He wrote him up, and said if I have to make you legal, I will write you up. It was about a $75 fine, so nothing much to it. He was fair, but I think the previous guys there were a bunch of outlaws, because he came by a lot.

It may not be apparent in my writing, but I don't have any issues with law enforcement, but I feel if we don't exercise our civil rights they will cease to exist. Now if one came to my house and I was guilty, I would probably let him in and take him right to it. But I would have no problem informing one he needs a search warrant if he is on a fishing expedition, same with my truck, if asked to search. Law enforcement is a job it takes special people to do well at, and I have the utmost respect for anyone who chooses this for a career.

I'm not as big of a fan of Law Enforcement, in that rarely are they held accountable for their actions. I will agree that Civil Rights will be lost if we do not push back to preserve them. Too many men and women have died protecting those rights

Comment

Working...
                                X