Killing water bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing water bottles

I found something that is helping me shoot better. I am sure this is nothing new, but it is really helping me. I have been shooting my new bow at a cardboard box filled with blankets. I noticed that little by little, I am getting better. Today, I got tired of hearing the same sound, whether I hit what I was aiming at or not. THUD.........THUD........THUD....

I grabbed a used water bottle and put it against the cardboard box. 1st shot: THUD... Second shot: THWACK.... I killed it. I realized that by using the water bottle, my learning became not only visual, but audible. When I connected with a THWACK.. instead of a THUD... it was instant reward. Kind of like shooting free throws on the court. Today the THWACK was like the SWISH of shooting hoops.

I am sure that someone is going to think I am full of BS, but I am 100% positive that if you can combine visual with audible confirmation that you hit the target, it will improve you.

When you aim just don't aim at the bottle, aim at a single letter on the bottle. If you miss that letter by an inch you will still hit the bottle and get to hear a THWACK. It does feel good to hear a good shot.

Comment

having fun is what is all about.

Comment

Hope this OK here.
        Lots of fun and noise.:
        Urban Varmint Hunting!

Comment

if I set up something odd to shoot at I seem to shoot longer. I like hanging a tennis ball on a string and knocking it around

Comment

When I practice for bowfishing, I'll climb up on the roof and scatter some bottles in the yard. Then your not only practicing, but changing the yardage too. I don't know much about real Trad shooting, so I'm not sure if you want to go shooting your arrows into the ground... but its a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              if I set up something odd to shoot at I seem to shoot longer. I like hanging a tennis ball on a string and knocking it around
              I like that too..I also shoot at golf balls on the ground with judo or hex heads.

Comment

What Buff said.
                Also, It's fun to toss the tennis ball around and shoot at it wherever it lands. This helps your shooting at unknown distances and will break the monotony of standing at the same line and shooting the same distances over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Spot N Stalk View Post
                  What Buff said.
                  Also, It's fun to toss the tennis ball around and shoot at it wherever it lands. This helps your shooting at unknown distances and will break the monotony of standing at the same line and shooting the same distances over and over.
                  I was doing that in a kind of backwards way. I was throwing my arrows in random spots in the yard, then walking to them to shoot at the stationary target. I have mainly gotten confident at about 10 yards. When I get any farther than that, my arrows seem to fly a little more random. Its alright, though. I am happy with my progress and having fun. Hopefully I can keep it up and be in the woods this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                    Hope this OK here.
                    Lots of fun and noise.:
                    Urban Varmint Hunting!
                    http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...;f=90;t=000257
                    I checked out the link. Awesome! Looks like fun.

Thanks for doing your part to clean a little up. Too bad there is so many people that don't know how to use a trash can.

Comment

Working...
                    X