Weedeater Issues. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weedeater Issues. Thoughts?

I have a Husqvarna weedeater that is a couple years old that recently started giving me issues. It started out with bogging down after using it for a bit (~30min). If I pumped the throttle it would go again for a time then it would bog again and I would have to start working the throttle. Finally it would bog down so far that I couldn't save it. The other day at the lease it ran for maybe 5min then just quit. Only thing I could think of was fuel issue although I had just filled it with a brand new bottle of that pre-mix fuel from Lowes. I dumped the fuel and the in tank filter came out as well. I replace the in-tank fuel line as well as the lines going from the tank to the carb, but not the filter. I am still having issues.

Now it will fire up and run for a bit choked but eventually bogs down and quits. Half choke it runs for less time and it won't run at all without being choked. The next obvious step is to replace the fuel filter. Any other suggestions? Air filter?

Update:

Not the air filter. Just pulled it off and still have the same issue.
    Last edited by Fargus; 09-02-2016, 11:15 AM.

I always replace the fuel filter when I do the lines. Carb probably needs cleaning.

Comment

see if there is a screen in the muffler, sometimes their hidden inside the muffler

might be a pin hole in a fuel line as well. I have replaced many lines that appear good and after they ran fine

Comment

Brought mine in to get fixed with similar issues. Repair shop said would cost more to fix than its worth. Said it had bad compression usually due to wrong gas/oil mix. Lasted about 8 years so headed to Lowes and bought a new one.

Comment

Seems to be flooding....I think. Air filter had fuel in it plus my hand gets fuel on it when holding it over the butterfly and pulling the start rope.

I pulled the plug, adjusted the gap and hit it with a wire brush. No joy.

Comment

Clean the exhaust port if you havent already ..if its got buildup that will cause some issues too.

Comment

Might just need a good carb cleaning my 14 year old Redmax was acting the same way pulled carb cleaned her up hopefully I can 7 more years out of her.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                see if there is a screen in the muffler, sometimes their hidden inside the muffler

might be a pin hole in a fuel line as well. I have replaced many lines that appear good and after they ran fine
                Ok? How would a screen in the muffler cause an issue? Plugged and not allowing exhaust to escape I assume.

I just replaced the lines yesterday thinking that might be the issue. I suppose I could have gotten a bad hose or torn one somehow during install.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                  Seems to be flooding....I think. Air filter had fuel in it plus my hand gets fuel on it when holding it over the butterfly and pulling the start rope.

I pulled the plug, adjusted the gap and hit it with a wire brush. No joy.
                  carb rebuilds are very easy, pull it off and get the number off of it, google and get a kit.

Comment

Just replace the whole carb.

Comment

I purchased a cleaner called Mechanics Friend...per instructions....I poured some into fuel tank, ran for a few minutes and it cleared up. If it is real bad, you pour directly into card and let it sit.

Ethanol gas is a small engines enemy.

Comment

I would definitely start with the spark arresting screen in the muffler as Flywise already noted. My Stihls will do the same thing and this is usually the problem. That screen will get gunked up and airflow is restricted. If it is nasty just burn it off with a little torch. and brush it out with a wire brush.

Comment

switch to goats
                          just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                            switch to goats
                            just sayin
                            Ha ha, would if I could, but the HOA frowns on having stock in the yard. Luckily that is one of the very few restrictions out HOA has.

Comment

Sounds like a carb issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X