• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas or diesel truck

Can't decide what to do.

Option 1 is a 2012 dodge 2500 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi with 107k

Option 2 is a 2004 dodge 2500 4x4 with a 5.9 Cummins with 110k miles

Both priced the same. I doubt I NEED a diesel but it would be nice when towing but is a diesel worth sacrificing 8 years of truck?

My opinion would be to go with the 2012 with the hemi if they're both the same price.

Comment

2004 for me. I got an 04 1 ton pushing just over 400k. Still runs like a champ and gets 20 mpg

Comment

Get the gas if u have no need for diesel. Diesels are great and I've owned at least one for 9 years now but I work 'em.

Comment

That's a big difference in year, wear and value. If you have to have a 3/4 ton truck, get the diesel. If you just need a truck and don't haul over 6k lbs on a regular basis, a diesel is rediculous unless you just "want" one.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
            Can't decide what to do.

Option 1 is a 2012 dodge 2500 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi with 107k

Option 2 is a 2004 dodge 2500 4x4 with a 5.9 Cummins with 110k miles

Both priced the same. I doubt I NEED a diesel but it would be nice when towing but is a diesel worth sacrificing 8 years of truck?
            That 110k mile, 12yo diesel will still be pulling strong in another 12 years and 100k miles.
            That 107k mile, 4yo gas probably won't.
            To me, it depends on how long you plan on keeping it.
            If you're going to get another truck within 5 years, go with the gas.
            If you're planning on driving it till it dies, get the diesel.

Or forget both of those and get you a 7.3l powerstroke, lol.

Comment

If you don't truly NEED the diesel, I'd get the 2012.

Dodge made a ton of strides/improvements in technology, quality and comfort in that 8 years.

Comment

I've got an 03 Cummins 250,*** miles still going good it's a dually with 33" cooper Mts and I average about 17mpg. If you want a smoother ride get the 2012 if you want a better truck get the 04

Comment

Evaluate your need for a 3/4 ton truck first. If you don't need a diesel then I'd go gas. Do you need a 3/4 ton truck? The quality and comfort are going to be significant between the 12 and 04 model.

Comment

Man that's a low miles 04. If they're optioned similarly I'd be tempted to take the diesel. The 12 will be a better truck as mentioned they've come a long way since then even with the same stuff on them and years take a toll even without the miles.

Story time though. I recently drove a 08 f250 with the v10 for a few weeks. It's no slouch at 360/450 hp/ft lbs and man it was a beating trying to get that thing to scoot around like my diesel will. Pulled down 3mpg (ish) worse than my diesel on stock (vs 35 inch) tires and was just all around a struggle for me. The v10 is a fairly well thought of workhorse as I understand but i'd hate it. I couldn't get my truck back soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
                      Man that's a low miles 04. If they're optioned similarly I'd be tempted to take the diesel. The 12 will be a better truck as mentioned they've come a long way since then even with the same stuff on them and years take a toll even without the miles.

Story time though. I recently drove a 08 f250 with the v10 for a few weeks. It's no slouch at 360/450 hp/ft lbs and man it was a beating trying to get that thing to scoot around like my diesel will. Pulled down 3mpg (ish) worse than my diesel on stock (vs 35 inch) tires and was just all around a struggle for me. The v10 is a fairly well thought of workhorse as I understand but i'd hate it. I couldn't get my truck back soon enough.
                      V10s suck, period.

Most of our work trucks are powerstrokes.
                      Company went with V10s for all 2012 trucks. I got one.
                      It's slower and gets about half the mileage of the diesels.
                      They're F450s loaded down with a boom lift and equipment.
                      I get 5-7mpg, the diesels get 8-10.
                      I'm at 100,500 miles and second engine.
                      Some of the diesels are at 100,***+ and still going strong.

I'll never buy a V10 in a personal vehicle.
                      I've got two 7.3s.

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

Yeh' Here's one forget the dodge and get a chevy.

Comment

Wouldn't buy a 2012 dodge anything...04 for sure..or find a 7.3 f-250

Comment

I would not think twice about getting another Ford V-10. I owned one for several years and its a power house, loved it. Its not 1/4 mile fast, but pulls great and cruises at what ever speed you want effortlessly Once you learn to drive it right, it will get get respectable fuel mileage, I would get 14-15 on highway and average 13.5 to/from work weekly. They are cheap to buy because most folks instantly think single digit fuel mileage when you say V-10. You have to drive the V-10 with a light foot to good MPG's out of. You cant drive it "normal". In 2013 when I bought a new truck, I wanted the V-10. They were only available in F-450's and up though and I wanted a F-250, so I went with the 6.2 gasser.
                              The 2004 Dodge will hold its value x 10 over the Hemi truck. You cant beat the 5.9 Cummins and its pre DEF, so it will always be a desirable truck when the time comes to sell. I am surprised the one you are looking at is as cheap as it is. The only real problem I had with mine that sticks out was the fuel pump in the tank...that was 1000.00 to change out

Comment

Working...
                              X