The legend of " Gy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The legend of " Gy"

Man were to Start. I have been hunting Mexico for a Long Time. This is my 7th season on this Mexico Lease. We have done everything we can for the last 7yrs to manage trophy deer. We have had our ups and down but, all in all it has been a heck of an experience I will never forget. We have taken some great deer over the years and get to see our management paying off more and more every yr. I first came across Gy 4yrs ago when he was a 4yr old. He was a small frame deer with 12 scorable points. I watched him twice that season at two different stands about a mile and 1/2 apart.

The next season rolls around and out of the Blue we had a new big deer show up at one of my stands that had made a heck of a jump. After going thru the pictures from the yr. before I finally figured out he was the 12pt from the yr. before due to him and his running Buddy staying together for the past two springs. We knew then that he was going to be a trophy one day and was put on the No shoot List.

I watched him a lot at the beginning of the season and was having a hard time coming up with a Name for him. One day my son went and set in the stand with me was right off the bat we had a few Jav. come in and eat corn and my son was hounding me to shoot one. I was telling him that we was not going to make any noise because we was deer hunting and not Jav. hunting. He was not agreeing with me and we were in a little argument when out walked Gy. I told my son to look at that big buck and please be very quit. He stood up on the Chair with my Bono’s and watches as Gy walked down the road. As he was watching him he asked me what we called him because he is used to us naming deer around the ranch. I told him that we had not come up with a good name yet. As he watched him walk off he told me " DADDY HE IS GYMUNGUS". Every Since that evening in the Stand he has been known as Gy.

This was a Picture of him walking down the road the day he was Named.

Gy really spread his genes that season. We seen him up to 2.5 miles away that yr. Every time you get a deer of his size it makes for a tuff season wondering if anything is going to happen to him or not. Season ended and he made it back to his Post rut area and seemed to be in good shape. The next yr. was very very bad for my lease. We went through one of the worst droughts that area has ever seen. There was no live water with in 30,000acs of our ranch. We have run water lines and set up water station around the lease since the first yr. but, I was very worried that we had not prepared enough for a drought that bad. We feed more protein than we ever had and I still don’t know if more deer came for the water or the Feed. We made it down in time to set up Cameras in September really hoping to see how our deer survived the drought. A week after we set up cameras I got the dreaded phone call you never want to get. My Land owner put a Banned on us coming down until de decided it was safe to travel in our area. We set back and waited for the day that we could return. I found some relief talking with other hunters on here about the deer starting to pull out of the drought. Finally a few days before Christmas I was called and given the OK to come down. We went down and filled feeders and pulled the first cards of the yr. Somehow we came out got and lost no mature deer that we knew of from the yr. before. Gy was doing well and had grown into a heck of a Trophy and put a lot of pressure on me rather he would be put on the hit list or not.

Him and RB was still running together.

By the Time we made it down He had broken his G3 on His right Side. Given the break, not knowing for sure if he was 5 or 6, and My Wife and son not being able to make the late season hunt. It was very easy for me to let him walk. I watch him a few times from the stand and had high hope for this season. Post rut we was check camera again to see who made it through the rut and Gy was still in the best shape I had ever seen him that Time of Yr.

This season rolls around and we started getting the rain. The old Dry ponds filled back up and the whole ranch changed in loos again for the better. We got to put away all the water line we bought for this summer and hold off till this yr. to be installed. We got to make a lot of trips and were looking forward to a good season. Cameras went out early and I was very pleased with what I seen. Gy had decided to though all kinds of points this season and was still hanging out in his normal home range.

Mexico was very quit this season in our area and season seemed like it would never get here. Gy and RB were still running together and both looks to be is the best shape they had ever Been.

Well here we are. Last weekend was finally opening weekend and If Gy made it without breaking he was on the top of the list. We went down Wed. to get the camp set up and to have our Normal Thanksgiving trip after a 1yrs break. Everyone was ready for opening morning and headed out of camp to their area. I made it to my popup and got settled in. Daylight came and Gy was the second buck I seen off in the distance. By 7:10am I received two texts that my wife and one of my other hunters had taken trophies of a life Time. It was way too much to take in at one time while you are waiting you turn. Finally out of nowhere I look up and Gy is walking my way and Fast. By the Time I got my window open and my release hooked on my look Gy was eating head on at 20yrds in my window. 40Sec later he was Gone. I was sitting there trying to figure out what the heck happened when 5 big hogs moved in and started eating. I tried to run them off by waving at them and sticking my head out of the window with no Luck. 3 arrows later they were gone and my hunt was over for the Morning. That evening after the midday celebration over the big deer taken I was headed back to the stand. Well out of nowhere the rain started and I was stuck in the truck till 4pm watching the water run by. Finally I was turning around and headed back to camp when I remembered that my Bow was setting string down on my pop up bling bag. I went ahead and made the trip to the blind and found my bow covered in water and Mud. I jumped in the blind and started cleaning it up. 1hr later Gy walked out and passed by 50yrds away. 30mins later the 2 hogs left showed back up and I sent 2 more arrows through double lungs. The Next morning was very overcast and I was in the Blind early. At day light I had 15bucks in rage sizing one another up and eating corn. Again they were gone. A big boar walked right by the blind and never stopped. I set back and figured it would take a while before anything came back. I was sitting back and looking out my left window when Gy just walked by. I was not even ready. I grabbed my bow and tried to get ready but, he made it to the next window and starting eating corn before I could get the Window open. He stead for a short time but, was very jumpy. I figured I blew my chance, when out of nowhere bucks started pouring in. 10 bucks later and Gy was headed back my way to prove he was the most mature deer there. I was ready this time and he walked in and gave me a 20yrd shot. He never opened up for a hart shot so I went double-lung. It sound like hit a Truck when the arrow hit him. I gave him some time and went and picked up Ty and my wife to help on the trailing. Ty got on the blood and 50yrds later Gy was down.

We have a lot of big deer for the Future and are blessed with a great ranch but, I will never forget the yrs I got to spend watching Gy and Blessing me with a hunt I will never forget. Thank you and best of Luck to all

He was 7.5yrs old 174gross P/Y and 230lbs
    Last edited by Mex. Bowhunter; 12-01-2012, 06:34 PM.

WOW! Big congrats - that's about as good as it gets!

Comment

PM Sent
      Wow... monster. Great pics...congrats. Buck of a lifetime.

Comment

Awesome Congrats

Comment

Great story great deer congrats

Comment

Congrats on a great buck!!

Comment

Great story and run down of your history with Gy.
              Congratulations.

Comment

Very good read, enjoyed it and congratulations.

Comment

Man, what a write up and what a buck! Congrats!

Comment

thanks for sharing the great story.

congrats

Comment

Great buck

Thanks for the write up

Comment

Congrats and awesome write up!

Comment

Congrats on a monster buck

Comment

Great story, patience is definitely a virtue! Mega buck

Comment

great deer and write up! Congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X