Favorite .30-06 Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite .30-06 Round?

My scope was recently bumped so my rifle is off and I figured now would be a good time to switch ammo. I've been using core lokt since I was a kid but lately I haven't been impressed with knockdown power. I've killed 3 deer and a coyote, all good shots, and none have dropped. Blood trails aren't that great either.

What's your suggestion?

Federal Premium - 150 grain sierra gameking boat-tail soft point.

Had a similar issue with corelokt's (they changed somehow and I can't make them shoot accurately).

I have only shot 3-4 pigs/deer with the Federal's but all had pass through, decent but not overly large exit wound, and all fell with 30 yards of where they were shot.

Seem pretty accurate on paper for me - limited field results for me but so far I'm satisfied.

Comment

Barnes Vortx ttsx 168g

It’s a Hammer and extremely accurate in my Remington!
      Last edited by TxStrong; 11-26-2017, 02:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Extremely accurate, extremely deadly. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...on-polymer-tip

Comment

Winchester Ballistic Tips 150 grain are devastating to a deer.

Comment

Barnes TTSX, or Siroccos

Comment

Learn how to reload.

Comment

If you liked the Remington’s, you may try a Winchester Power Point. They are a very similar bullet and both shoot well from My BAR 30-06’s

Comment

1st choice would be a 150gr Nosler Partition

Comment

180grn Nosler Partition
                    it just nocks them down
                    the 173grn LakeCity Ball is my plinkin ammo
                    same ammo Hathcock used in Nam
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by CaptJack; 11-26-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Learn how to reload.
                      YES!
                      I pull the handle
                      why i shoot 180grn Nosler Partitions

Comment

Winchester Power Point or Federal Fusion. Why?? Because you're hunting 150 lb whitetail, not 600 lb elk, and you want something that you can find cheap/easily at any Walmart/Academy/hardware store in the state. Any old cup/core bullet ought to work. Not trying to be a smartazz in any way, just see no reason to get fancy/strange when simply hunting deer with a rifle that has more than enough kinetic energy to do the job with just about any 150, 165, or 180 grain bullet.
                        Last edited by Abctx; 11-26-2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Learn how to reload.

Comment

Remington green box ammo proved to me over 40 years ago it was mostly junk, occasionally a box would slip through or even a lot that was ok, but overall it has been poor in consistency ,, chronographing it over that last 36 years proved to me the lack of quality control while they were loading it...
                            the Winchester ballistic Silvertip 150 gr bullet is amazing,, i worked up a load more than 20 years ago that pushed a 150 ballistic tip at 3050 fps, in the 40+ deer i shot with that load not one ever took a single step, the great majority of those were double lung with a few high neck shots ... the 150 ballistic tip is the best deer killing bullet i have ever seen, period!

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X