Super duty tire rating ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super duty tire rating ??

Having my F350 lifted this week. Currently running a 325/60/18 BFG all terrain. Planning on ditching the 35" ATs and going with a 37" tire. I really like the BFG KM02- mud terrain which is available in a 37/1250r18 but it has a D load rating. In fact it's a D2 which means the max pressure is 50 psi. The actual load rating is approximately 3400lbs and the E2 which I'm currently running is around 3850 lbs @65 psi max. Question is will I be entering a gray area with the D2 rated tire. I know towing depends a lot , which I rarely do but do not want to have worry tire loads. Any help is appreciated ... Any one running a D rated tire on a super duty?

Tire shop will not put a tire on that rig if it doesn’t meet the load rating, period.

Comment

Should of known that. Thx.

Comment

No worries, only reason I know is because I have a F350 too!

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
          Tire shop will not put a tire on that rig if it doesn’t meet the load rating, period.
          Not true.

Big corporate tire shops won't, there are still some sensible tire shops that will install the tire you want based on YOUR usage.

If you don't tow or haul heavy there is no reason to go with the heavier tires. If you do use your truck to capacity then use the correctly rated tire.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Not true.

Big corporate tire shops won't, there are still some sensible tire shops that will install the tire you want based on YOUR usage.

If you don't tow or haul heavy there is no reason to go with the heavier tires. If you do use your truck to capacity then use the correctly rated tire.
            There are always shyster shops! Cause an accident or total the truck due to tire failure and let me know who they put the screws to! That shop that didn’t follow regulations and took your word for what you do or do not tow will conveniently forget the good deed they did for you when it comes time to pay up!

Comment

Thats a lot of truck man. I would definitely go with some heavier rated tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Not true.

I think that’s irresponsible. I wouldn’t do that if I owned a tire shop.

Say you understand the load index isn’t right but you sell your truck to a dealership. They sell it to a guy who has no idea and he towed something and causes an accident.... all because you wanted a fancy tire?

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                  I think that’s irresponsible. I wouldn’t do that if I owned a tire shop.

Say you understand the load index isn’t right but you sell your truck to a dealership. They sell it to a guy who has no idea and he towed something and causes an accident.... all because you wanted a fancy tire?

The load index is right if that is how the truck is used. Many people get 250’s and never load them to 150 capacity because they just had to have diesel.

I use my 350 like a 350 so I run the higher load rated tires.

My son drives an F-250 just because he had to have an OBS 7.3, the most he will ever pull is my single cab ranger so he has no use for high load range tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                    There are always shyster shops! Cause an accident or total the truck due to tire failure and let me know who they put the screws to! That shop that didn’t follow regulations and took your word for what you do or do not tow will conveniently forget the good deed they did for you when it comes time to pay up!
                    Why should the tire shop remember anything. It’s the responsibility of the truck owner to know his limits. Not the shop to make sure he’s not an idiot.

Comment

Most 10 ply tires out there are only rated 10 ply, and not a true 10. My super duty with the Michelin 10 ply tires rode great and handled the 13k camper I pull. I ran those tires down and up on the Nitto 10 ply tires that are only rated 10 ply, they are actually only 8 ply. I could tell the difference as soon as I hit the road with the camper and within a month the Nitto tires were gone. Discount tire knew that and installed and warrantied them for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                        Having my F350 lifted this week. Currently running a 325/60/18 BFG all terrain. Planning on ditching the 35" ATs and going with a 37" tire. I really like the BFG KM02- mud terrain which is available in a 37/1250r18 but it has a D load rating. In fact it's a D2 which means the max pressure is 50 psi. The actual load rating is approximately 3400lbs and the E2 which I'm currently running is around 3850 lbs @65 psi max. Question is will I be entering a gray area with the D2 rated tire. I know towing depends a lot , which I rarely do but do not want to have worry tire loads. Any help is appreciated ... Any one running a D rated tire on a super duty?

I run E rated only on my insanely expensive grocery getters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The load index is right if that is how the truck is used. Many people get 250’s and never load them to 150 capacity because they just had to have diesel.

I use my 350 like a 350 so I run the higher load rated tires.

My son drives an F-250 just because he had to have an OBS 7.3, the most he will ever pull is my single cab ranger so he has no use for high load range tires.
                          But the load index isn’t correct for the capability of the truck. That’s how you should size your tires and the reason big stores won’t install them for you.

I personally feel it’s irresponsible to purposely downgrade load index.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                            Since the truck is being lifted, therefore modified. I would be suspect if the truck would still be able to be loaded to max capacity for towing as designed by Ford. I wonder what the lift MFG recommends. I am not sure why a shop that will put a tire on a truck that the buyer/owner wants is not considered a shyster shop? I refuse to use shops such as Discount tire due to attitude and desire to tell me what I can or cant put on my truck. As far as buying a truck used scenario. Is there not personal responsibility involved here somewhere? IF I am looking for a truck that will be used for heavy towing, I most likely will not be considering lifted trucks. IF I did, I am smart enough to check the tire for the load ratings because when you get into oversized tires it is entirely possible for load ranges to change. Personally, if you like the tires and do not tow outside the load range, I would run them on my truck and not look back.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                              Since the truck is being lifted, therefore modified. I would be suspect if the truck would still be able to be loaded to max capacity for towing as designed by Ford. I wonder what the lift MFG recommends. I am not sure why a shop that will put a tire on a truck that the buyer/owner wants is not considered a shyster shop? I refuse to use shops such as Discount tire due to attitude and desire to tell me what I can or cant put on my truck. As far as buying a truck used scenario. Is there not personal responsibility involved here somewhere? IF I am looking for a truck that will be used for heavy towing, I most likely will not be considering lifted trucks. IF I did, I am smart enough to check the tire for the load ratings because when you get into oversized tires it is entirely possible for load ranges to change. Personally, if you like the tires and do not tow outside the load range, I would run them on my truck and not look back.
                              Don’t have to lift a truck to run tires without proper load index.

Yes personal accountability is a part of towing, I agree. But tell that to ram. They make me keep my rear tires at 80 psi or the crappy light with be on and it’ll beep at me everytime I start my truck. They tried to dummy proof the system.

If you want discount to mount underrated tires on your truck all you have to do is take them the wheels off the truck. But they won’t mount them if they don’t meet the requirements of the sticker in the door when you bring the wheels still on the truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X