Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #10951
Schultz1503
Four Point
 
Schultz1503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Buda ,Texas
Hunt In: Granger WMA and central Texas area and beyond!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
I've killed 2 in the past 2 months but one of the new guys said he saw like 40 up in there last week...I been shooting mine way out on the lake!


Well Iím here and ur were right I shouldíve taken the shot something told me thatís a Hog but I didnít then a quick second it stands up so I moved in front of a bush so he stalls knowing Iím there. I couldnít shoot thru the bush then he bolts across from me hauling *** and this guy is the biggest Iíve ever seen with a lighter brown across his back and dark /Black the rest of the body looking like at least 250 or more. I shoot but missed I chased but he was way too fast!!! ****!!!! Most excitement Iíve had here on Granger. Thanks again bro my rookie *** should of shot he looked just like a log !!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schultz1503 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #10952
Rojobeard
Nubbin' Buck
 
Rojobeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Academy texas
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz1503 View Post
Well Iím here and ur were right I shouldíve taken the shot something told me thatís a Hog but I didnít then a quick second it stands up so I moved in front of a bush so he stalls knowing Iím there. I couldnít shoot thru the bush then he bolts across from me hauling *** and this guy is the biggest Iíve ever seen with a lighter brown across his back and dark /Black the rest of the body looking like at least 250 or more. I shoot but missed I chased but he was way too fast!!! ****!!!! Most excitement Iíve had here on Granger. Thanks again bro my rookie *** should of shot he looked just like a log !!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
****... good try brother sooo many fallin trees and logs out there everthing looks like a hog or vis versa .... I question myself all the time..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Rojobeard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #10953
Rat
Ten Point
 
Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bertram
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz1503 View Post
Well Iím here and ur were right I shouldíve taken the shot something told me thatís a Hog but I didnít then a quick second it stands up so I moved in front of a bush so he stalls knowing Iím there. I couldnít shoot thru the bush then he bolts across from me hauling *** and this guy is the biggest Iíve ever seen with a lighter brown across his back and dark /Black the rest of the body looking like at least 250 or more. I shoot but missed I chased but he was way too fast!!! ****!!!! Most excitement Iíve had here on Granger. Thanks again bro my rookie *** should of shot he looked just like a log !!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have shot many an arrow into logs at Granger thinking they were pigs; sometimes they are. I just chalk it up the cost of hunting pigs at Granger.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #10954
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point
 
NAVY CHIEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: HUTTO, TX
Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz1503 View Post
Well Iím here and ur were right I shouldíve taken the shot something told me thatís a Hog but I didnít then a quick second it stands up so I moved in front of a bush so he stalls knowing Iím there. I couldnít shoot thru the bush then he bolts across from me hauling *** and this guy is the biggest Iíve ever seen with a lighter brown across his back and dark /Black the rest of the body looking like at least 250 or more. I shoot but missed I chased but he was way too fast!!! ****!!!! Most excitement Iíve had here on Granger. Thanks again bro my rookie *** should of shot he looked just like a log !!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When u see brown or black in the briar patch 9 times out of 10 its a pig....still have to make sure though lots of calves right now....no shoot baby calves. That would be bad
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #10955
jbw899
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Austin
Hunt In: MO, TX, anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
I have shot many an arrow into logs at Granger thinking they were pigs; sometimes they are. I just chalk it up the cost of hunting pigs at Granger.
I swear there was a log on Sunday that had ears and a snout! Started stalking it but after looking at it through the binos for a while I figured out it wasn't a pig.
jbw899 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #10956
jbw899
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Austin
Hunt In: MO, TX, anywhere
Default

Back to the discussion about broadheads, do most people use fixed blades? Also do you all use compounds or crossbows? I usually use a compound for deer but feel like my odds would be better with a crossbow. Really want to get my first pig out of the way.
Last question (for now), when you spook pigs up is it worth it to try to follow them or do they blow out of the area completely?
jbw899 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #10957
Rat
Ten Point
 
Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bertram
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbw899 View Post
Back to the discussion about broadheads, do most people use fixed blades? Also do you all use compounds or crossbows? I usually use a compound for deer but feel like my odds would be better with a crossbow. Really want to get my first pig out of the way.
Last question (for now), when you spook pigs up is it worth it to try to follow them or do they blow out of the area completely?
Actually, most people use mechanicals, most people I see hunting anyway. Broadheads are a very personal thing; I only use fixed blade. There are pros and cons to each type and you must weigh those and make up your own mind.

I only use a "vertical" bow, no crossbows for me. But several hunters at Granger use crossbows and have great success; nothing wrong with either one as long as it is legal, safe and you are proficient with it.

Following pigs depends on the pigs. When I blow pigs I will wait and see if they stop a short distance away; sometimes they will stop within range if you haven't blown them out too hard. I will follow if they aren't running for the hills; if they are, I go find another sounder to hunt up.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #10958
Schultz1503
Four Point
 
Schultz1503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Buda ,Texas
Hunt In: Granger WMA and central Texas area and beyond!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojobeard View Post
****... good try brother sooo many fallin trees and logs out there everthing looks like a hog or vis versa .... I question myself all the time..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


No doubt about that lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schultz1503 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #10959
Schultz1503
Four Point
 
Schultz1503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Buda ,Texas
Hunt In: Granger WMA and central Texas area and beyond!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
I have shot many an arrow into logs at Granger thinking they were pigs; sometimes they are. I just chalk it up the cost of hunting pigs at Granger.


So true lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schultz1503 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #10960
Schultz1503
Four Point
 
Schultz1503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Buda ,Texas
Hunt In: Granger WMA and central Texas area and beyond!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
When u see brown or black in the briar patch 9 times out of 10 its a pig....still have to make sure though lots of calves right now....no shoot baby calves. That would be bad


It will be the last time i second guess lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schultz1503 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #10961
CARNAGE68
Six Point
 
CARNAGE68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Hunt In: Granger PHL, Luminant WMA, Somerville PHL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz1503 View Post
It will be the last time i second guess lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It happens to me too! And I learn from my mistakes.
I remember sharing this to somebody already. He knows who he is.
CARNAGE68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #10962
Schultz1503
Four Point
 
Schultz1503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Buda ,Texas
Hunt In: Granger WMA and central Texas area and beyond!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
It happens to me too! And I learn from my mistakes.

I remember sharing this to somebody already. He knows who he is.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schultz1503 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com