Yet another school shooting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
    I don't think video game violence is really the problem. The problem is kids just sit alone in their rooms for hours PLAYING video games instead of playing outside and learning social skills. They isolate themselves but can't understand why they feel so lonely and isolated with no actual friends. Then they don't fit in so they become angry about THAT. Snowballs into revenge against the very thing they created themselves. But I'm just an old Air Force vet hanging out on the green screen so what do i know lol
    This. My kids play the "shoot em up" video games. But they are limited to a certain amount of time. After that time is up they are made to go outside and play with their friends. Being a grunt you are desensitized to killing someone. That has nothing to do with it in my opinion. I've been there and done that and wouldn't think of doing it again unless I absolutely had to. It is all in how you are raised. Parents now days are more worried about fitting in and partying than raising their kids the way they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      There have always been shootings. There has always been stabbings at schools. .
      "
      How many school mass shootings did we have between 1980 and 1989?

How many deaths due to stabbing did we have at schools between 1980 and 1989?

How many deaths due to mass stabbing did we have in 2018, 2017 and 2016 combined?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        No offense..I meant posts titled "another school shooting" in general. It spreads fear when we should not fear.

No worries. I understand that the odds are still incredibly low, but even 1 is too many. Santa Fe hit home with Clay(continued prayers!).

Comment

We've got to do something about these parents.

Comment

Originally posted by amcalister04 View Post
            This. My kids play the "shoot em up" video games. But they are limited to a certain amount of time. After that time is up they are made to go outside and play with their friends. Being a grunt you are desensitized to killing someone. That has nothing to do with it in my opinion. I've been there and done that and wouldn't think of doing it again unless I absolutely had to. It is all in how you are raised. Parents now days are more worried about fitting in and partying than raising their kids the way they should be.
            Many parents want to be their kids friends these days. WRONG! NOT YOUR JOB!

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
              Agreed. We had weekends of COD tournaments and turned out normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Operation Wolf started it all.
              Especially the arcade version.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                How many school mass shootings did we have between 1980 and 1989?

How many deaths due to stabbing did we have at schools between 1980 and 1989?

How many deaths due to mass stabbing did we have in 2018, 2017 and 2016 combined?

I’m too busy for the research- What’s your point?

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                  I’m too busy for the research- What’s your point?
                  That we haven't "always" had school shootings or "mass death stabbings" at school.
                  If someone got stabbed and died it would be one death
                  Not ten at a time.

Sure folks BROUGHT guns to schools in the 80s but how many actually opened fire in the classroom?
                  I can't think of any.
                  Especially killing anyone.

Comment

It’s a crazy world in which we are living.

If I was a kid, I wouldn’t want to go to school because I wouldn’t know which one of those crazy $&@!#% is going to snap next. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                      There’s definitely a cultural problem. Young kids have been desensitized to death.
                      A false representation of death. They don't understand true death.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                        A false representation of death. They don't understand true death.
                        Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                          That's not an excuse. I played those same games growing up as a kid. I blame the parents 100%.
                          I agree. My son plays the Call of Duty games and Fortnite and I don’t believe that they will turn him into a cold blooded killer. I think that parents need to be more involved in not only their child’s lives, but also their social media lives and know who their friends are. Their are so many signs before these kids finally snap but their parents were oblivious to the fact that their children are struggling either socially or emotionally.

Comment

As with a lot of things, it is a perfect storm.

You can't argue that the amount of violence and negativity on TV, in video games, and internet hasn't increased exponentially in the last several years. I played shoot em up games back 10, 15, 20 years ago, and they are nothing like they are now as far as gore and realism. Not only that, fatal violence is now just so mainstream.

Couple that with social media and the lack of actual relationships between people and a person could have several "friends" bot no real "friend."

People like to find blame somewhere... and folks blame parents. I'm in that camp most of the time, because it is up to the parent to restrict and watch their kiddos and set the tone for what is right and what is not... however, do we blame the parent's parent for not parenting them enough on how to properly raise a kid? How far do we go back? At what point to we say people have to have personal responsibility.

People like to say "it takes a village to raise a kid" when they want credit for raising good kids... but just blame the parent when the kid turns out to be a murderer or a thief. Think about that. As a society, do we care enough about other people's kids to make a difference.

I don't proclaim to have the answers. It is hard to unwind what has already been wound. If you think about it, this is a crisis that has been decades in the making.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

You can't argue that the amount of violence and negativity on TV, in video games, and internet hasn't increased exponentially in the last several years. I played shoot em up games back 10, 15, 20 years ago, and they are nothing like they are now as far as gore and realism. Not only that, fatal violence is now just so mainstream.

Couple that with social media and the lack of actual relationships between people and a person could have several "friends" bot no real "friend."

People like to find blame somewhere... and folks blame parents. I'm in that camp most of the time, because it is up to the parent to restrict and watch their kiddos and set the tone for what is right and what is not... however, do we blame the parent's parent for not parenting them enough on how to properly raise a kid? How far do we go back? At what point to we say people have to have personal responsibility.

People like to say "it takes a village to raise a kid" when they want credit for raising good kids... but just blame the parent when the kid turns out to be a murderer or a thief. Think about that. As a society, do we care enough about other people's kids to make a difference.

I don't proclaim to have the answers. It is hard to unwind what has already been wound. If you think about it, this is a crisis that has been decades in the making.

Valid. Some things I hadn’t thought much about.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

Summary...Some people shouldn't have kids!

Comment

Working...
                                X