Ranch Investor Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kch73 View Post
    Water and/or lack of it...makes or breaks a place imho...

What I mean is flood plain, well, community water, tank, river, lake, etc etc...
    Can you elaborate on the pros/cons of the above listed issues you've mentioned?

Comment

What was your best experience? What made it the best experience?
      The feeling, you can't describe working and hunting your own place.
      If you could go back and change one thing, what would it be?
      Honestly, nothing. If you do it right!
      What aspect of a particular piece of property brought you the most joy or satisfaction?
      All facets, the hunting, fishing, exploring, and time spent with family.
      What was your biggest headache?
      Trespassing from time to time, but there is no getting away from that completely.
      What improvements provide the greatest opportunity of profit?
      Utilities, barn and Lodging.
      What improvements do you lose money on?
      As stated above, fencing and roads.
      Thank you in advance for allowing us to benefit from your experience.
      TradAg02 is offline Report Post

Now for some other thoughts,
      1. Forget about mineral rights. You can either buy them which is way too expensive “if they sale” or you can pick up the percentage the previous owner had from a foreclosure which I did. Aside from that forget it.

2. There is a bad misconception on having no rights with just surface. Incorrect, when the oil field was booming I had the option to allow a pad sites for $25K a piece or not. If I decline they can directionally drill using a neighboring property, which they ended up doing.

3. Easements make sure you know who has one, who doesn’t and never grant one without being ordered by the court.

4. Look north, the land is cheaper, dirt cheap taxes, and better deer.

5. Buy unimproved land and paint your master piece.

6. Utilities-make sure power is close and a reasonable distance, rural water is worth more than a well, wells are great as well just do your topographic research and discussions with well companies for that specific area. I have known a man that has spent $30k on dry holes. The well on my previous property produced 21 gallons a minute which is now owned by a fellow TBH’er!

7. If buying north, make sure you build you power team accordingly. Electric, barn builder, plumber, ECT because there are a lot of con artists that will rip you off.

8. As said before neighbors are important.

9. Land layout is important “Shape”.

10. Do not listen to nay sayers about your dream.

11. Do not listen to the stereo types about an area IE Oklahoma, East Texas. I grew up in East Texas and killed better deer there than some boys who spend $6K a year in South Texas. Remember, the masses believe what they want to believe not because it’s right, but because it makes them feel better about their own inaction.

12. Water is important and if the place your are looking at has very little that can be a bargaining chip and changed with some dozer work once you take the reins. Remember, buy a blank canvas and paint your master piece!

13. Be decisive, drop the hammer immediately once you find what you are looking for. If not a guy like me will steal it from you! Forget the whole, my wife and I will talk about it and get back to you routine. Guys like me love that!

14. What’s important to you? Envision that and when you find it you will know it!

15. Good luck, never quit, and surround yourself with people who have the same dream!

16. ACT! Interest rates are going to continue to rise which will effect how much land you can buy!

Threads below are from past and current projects!

This is the thread to my first place that I recently sold to a TBH'er!

This is the thread to my current place.
      Last edited by Darton; 11-27-2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
        There is a bad misconception on having no rights with just surface. Incorrect, when the oil field was booming I had the option to allow a pad sites for $25K a piece or not. If I decline they can directionally drill using a neighboring property, which they ended up doing.
        Your comment is a misconception in itself. Just because someone was nice enough to offer you $25K for a pad site with Door #2 being directional drilling *does not* mean this is how it will be for every other surface owner in the state who is not vested with executive rights in the minerals.

The vast majority of surface owners will be forced to accommodate the dominant rights of the mineral estate.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
          Your comment is a misconception in itself. Just because someone was nice enough to offer you $25K for a pad site with Door #2 being directional drilling *does not* mean this is how it will be for every other surface owner in the state who is not vested with executive rights in the minerals.

The vast majority of surface owners will be forced to accommodate the dominant rights of the mineral estate.
          Is it a misconception in itself or is it that I reside in and am referring to the Sooner State and not the Lone Star State? Each state varies which is why I advocated buying north

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            I don’t need mineral rights and lots won’t convey especially in good drilling areas. I do need executive rights so a previous owner isn’t dictacting when and where the operators can build their roads, tank batteries and other details involved. There is no reason to buy and have no say over what others do on your place
            Roads and easements are leased from the surface owner, not the mineral owner. You should be able to dictate where and when they can build without any executive mineral right.

Comment

Comment

Is it a misconception in itself or is it that I reside in and am referring to the Sooner State and not the Lone Star State? Each state varies which is why I advocated buying north
                Oh good lord. If you're gonna come to *Texas* Bowhunter and give advice about oil and gas and talk about ranches up north and without meaning North Texas, say where! I hear land is cheap and livin is easy in Saskatchewan.

Comment

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
                  Roads and easements are leased from the surface owner, not the mineral owner. You should be able to dictate where and when they can build without any executive mineral right.
                  You’ll get damages but depending on some wording that may be it or may be as you say. Each lease is different but I’m sure you already know that. I know one of our old leases doesn’t allow for much say at all without.

Comment

Oh good lord. If you're gonna come to *Texas* Bowhunter and give advice about oil and gas and talk about ranches up north and without meaning North Texas, say where! I hear land is cheap and livin is easy in Saskatchewan.
                    This thread is to help provide helpful information to people who are wanting to buy their own place no matter where it is. Many TBH'ers own in the Sooner state even after owning in Texas. Oklahoma is a viable alternative for some especially when it comes to prices and quality of the hunting. So, if you have nothing to offer in terms of advice or experience please move along!
                    Last edited by Darton; 11-27-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I’ve had some lucky breaks on my land purchases, my advice is figure out if you want,
                      Income producing or recreational/investment land, and what’s your end game.

For experience I have found none do both great or even good. It’s one way or the other. I’m sure some eagle ford guys would disagree but how many bought purely on speculation, probably less then 1%

Comment

You should PM TBH ownership about this for clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                          I’ve had some lucky breaks on my land purchases, my advice is figure out if you want,
                          Income producing or recreational/investment land, and what’s your end game.

For experience I have found none do both great or even good. It’s one way or the other. I’m sure some eagle ford guys would disagree but how many bought purely on speculation, probably less then 1%
                          Huge point I forgot to make! Thank you Texans42!!! You must figure out your end game before you buy!!!! Ironically this is the most important part!

Comment

I don't understand this. Can you unpack it a bit? Why does a wind farm on my neighbor's land hurt the value of my land? Just because he now has an income-producing property?
                            Windmills are an eyesore and they’re noisy. Darkness can’t even hide them because they have blinking red lights. And then you have power line easements. I’ve even heard some people claim the constant flickering of light causes them to become ill. Not sure I believe the last one, but some claim it so who knows.

I believe Texas A&M conducted an analysis of the negative impacts windmills have on real estate values. The impacts are real and if you don’t mind them, you can pick up a nice property at a significant discount.

Comment

I’ll add that I wouldn’t give up on obtaining mineral rights. Of course you won’t get them in the Permian, but they’re certainly obtainable in areas with low energy production. You can find maps showing existing oil and gas wells. Just target areas that don’t have many and you’ll be surprised how many people still have mineral rights. For example, Hamilton county doesn’t have much production and a lot of sellers are willing to let them go.

Comment

Huge point I forgot to make! Thank you Texans42!!! You must figure out your end game before you buy!!!! Ironically this is the most important part!
                                for me the best land purchase is one you can use for recreation while you own and improve it and then sell it for a profit - I have done it several times with success

Comment

Working...
                                X