Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Z7buckmaster View Post
    i need info on how to hunt over lake georgetown never been there. how do i get a permit
    So how do you hunt lake Georgetown and want to know info how to hunt there?
    I cant help but to ask with all the unmarked feeders and blinds I have seen around.

Comment

Soooo nobody else has any good pics to share to big of a secret to post any up?

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
        Soooo nobody else has any good pics to share to big of a secret to post any up?
        i will as soon as i get some back!!

Comment

Cool let us know how it goes

Comment

A buddy checked in to the hunting on lake Georgetown and we didnt fallow through with it (shame on us) what do you have to do to hunt Lake Georgetown? and what is the qualification corse made up of?
            Thanks

Comment

No pics to share yet.

Just got a few night shots of passing does. Will be checking the cameras again this weekend after sitting for two weeks in a new spot, so hopefully there will be some good ones to share.

P.S. - Anyone here ever try just walking in and either picking a spot or trying to spot and stalk? I'm scheduled during the week for Oct. so probably won't have much time after work to get all the way into my stand location. I've scouted pretty much all the area I would do this in to take note of other setups to stay away from. Still would be a little worried about walking up on someone.

here you go flip http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/geo...on/Hunting.asp

Comment

Hi you guys. Glad to find this thread to discuss the hunt at lake georgetown.
                So far, no deer shows up around my stand. The corn is piled up and only raccoon, lots of raccoons, fills up my camera. Pretty sad about it. Don't think thing would be changed too much in the early season, but hope it will change after the season starts. I guess there are plenty food created by this wet weather, the deer is not hungry now. The same time last year, I could throw corn anywhere and brought deer in.
                I don't think stalk hunt is a good idea, especially at public archery hunt field, unless you are pretty sure no one hunting in the same field at the same time. You may spook the deer which may be heading to another hunter's spot, it will make others unhappy. One of my buddy was ****** off by a stalk hunter several years ago. He saw a decent buck approaching to his stand, but was still out of confident range, while a stalk hunter was coming to his stand from another direction. He tried to stop him by waving hand, but that guy did not see him. Finally, the buck was spooked and disappeared in the wood.
                But, I think if you randomly pick up a spot to ambush the deer, that would be fine. Just be sure away from others' stands.

Comment

^^
                  Agreed, that is the exact scenario I definitely would not like to find my self in even if there was no deer coming in. I would feel ****ty just walking up on someone.

Hopefully things will pick up around your stand.

Comment

Going out tomorrow to check camera and fill feeder.....will give full status update

Comment

I went out yesterday. Things are lookin good, alot more deer and less coons on the cam!

Comment

I am going to check mine tomorrow, hope it is changing.

Comment

This will be my first year to hunt at G-town. I am planning to do the spot and stalk and scout (hopefully learning) thing for at least the first part of the season. I do not want to "bust" someone's stand or hunt, but at the same time this is public land; and those that this may happen to should keep that in mind.

While working off my remaining $90 I tried to pick Terri Beth's brain about likely areas for a newbie to hunt, explaining that I would be doing "walk-in". She pointed out several "congested" locations that if I understood her correctly already had feeders and stands in them, even though permits were just being issued that week. This seemed to jive with some of the conversations that I overheard at the qualification shoot. Anyway, I explained to Terri Beth that I would actually prefer to hunt a less productive area than sidle up to the next feeder and blind. I don't like crowds or confrontation.
                          Without a boat it seems like you inevitably have to walk past a lot of folks to get to your hunting destination whether you see them or not. Speaking of seeing....if blinds are brushed-in and folks are all camo-d up, it makes it a little hard to see other hunters and their set-ups. A little hunter orange may be a good idea. At least while moving.

I met several nice folks while qualifying and working! Several of you said that you would be accessing areas via boat to get away from the crowds. Hope to see you at some of the game-check areas with some venison
                          Good luck to you all!!!

Comment

Yes, this is the public land, always have to deal with crowd. I am not against stalk hunt at all. But doing that in the early season would not be a good idea, because the field will be packed with hunters. Starting from mid-Nov, fewer and fewer people will show up, that may be a good time to do it. Also, some people spend lots of efforts to find a "good" spot in deep wood and set it up, especially in the **** hot texas summary time, we should keep that in mind and respect others' hard work. If you need to know a field, you may want to scout it before the season. On the other hand, I don't think stalk hunt of deer is productive.
                            Hope everyone have a good season and enjoy every momment of your hunt, good luck.

Comment

cy100,
                              Where do you feel are some "less crowded" areas that I might enjoy? Sounds like you've got some experience out there? Tejas looks pretty filled up? I'm also planning on doing the "limited access" thing when they get that figured out.

Am I understanding you correctly that you and others have in fact placed and maintained stands and feeders at Lake G-town in the Summer, even thought the the website states...

Blinds, Stands and Feeders: Natural hunting blinds made of loose materials, Ashe Juniper (cedar) 3" and under in base diameter and portable blinds that are removed after each hunting trip are authorized for hunting deer, feral hogs or waterfowl. Hunting blinds or stands may not be nailed to trees. However, portable stands may be secured to trees with rope or wire if removed after each hunting trip. Feeders are authorized for deer and feral hog hunting. All blinds and feeders must be tagged with the owners name, address, phone number and date installed. Feeders may be set up one month prior to the archery season and must be removed prior to or on the last day of the deer season. All property failing to meet these requirements will be impounded. Hunters are encouraged to report all property failing to meet these requirements.

Is this OK to do?
                              Terri Beth acknowledged that there were practices that were " kind of OK" that went on that contradicted what the website said. Another example is the hunter education thing. Texas does not require folks in my age category to have a hunter education class, but the Lake G-town website said that you did. That is the reason that I never got around to entering the program until this year, when I and my buddy took a hunter safety course. When I went to pay the $10 registration fee, it said on that paperwork that I was exempt from the course because of my age. Oh well...
                              Folks also seemed to be unclear on the use of mountain bikes for hunting. Do you know what is really OK in regards to their use?

Thanks!

Comment

In my opinion, spot & stalk at any areas accesible on foot would probably be a waste of time. There are tons of prople using the trails around the lake for walking, mountain biking, and walking their dogs. The deer populations are fewer and more jumpy in these areas as well. Your best bet would be to pick a spot with fresh sign on a heavily used game trail and wait. It's hard hunting out there at times, but with lots of pre-season scouting and alot of patience it can be productive.

Comment

Working...
                                X