DIY puffy pants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY puffy pants

Disclaimer: I’m a penny pincher from way back. I was looking for some puffy pants like Kuiu makes but didn’t want to pay the $$$. Some folks on RokSlide turned me on to these M65 puffy pants and the project went from there! I wanted to add side zippers and fit them to my legs - they’re HUGE from the US government.

Here’s how the project rolled out...

I removed all the side buttons and folded the trim under and sewed it in place for a good solid foundation for the zipper...

Next I sewed the zipper in to each leg...

Instead of using Velcro closures like Kuiu does, I reused the buttons on the hip end of the zippers...

Took out 4-5” of leg material to fit me better. The pants on the left are how they ship, the pants on the right are after I added zippers and removed the material.

Here’s another pic of the fitted pants on top of the originals...

Also added a button to the waist in case I gain or lose a few lbs...

All in all, I’m happy with how they turned out. I’m far from a seamstress so there are all kinds of ugly stitches, but they’re completely serviceable. Can’t wait to try them out - they fit great under my Attacks!

Total out of pocket is $22!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s pretty neat. I like it

Comment

Very nice & quite a good job with the sewing skills!
      I’ll have to give this a try

Comment

great idea. Perfect for added warmth once you've settled into your blind.

Comment

That's awesome!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nicely done

Comment

Thanks y’all. If you end up going for it, eBay is the best place I found to buy them from. These are mediums (I’m 5’-0”, 170-175).

They fit to about 2/3 the way down my shin, so they’re short, but that’s how I wanted them so they wouldn’t interfere with tall boots. They make long versions as well, so if you want fuller length that’s the way to go.

I’ve got half a mind to order a long pair and stitch them to another pair of the shorter ones so they’d be 2X the insulation. I’m new to the sewing machine and it’s kind of addictive!

Comment

Is it just me, or does the left pants leg, look shorter on the unmodified pants. To me, that left pants leg, looks at least an 1" shorter, maybe 1 1/2". Your modified version, they look the same length.

Those things, look like they would be warm.

So where did you get them from?

Comment

I see it too, but I think the tile is messing with our eyes. They’re the same length.

eBay is the way to go. $10 shipped, or $12 for the longs.

Comment

Could you tell me how you use these? I generally have quite a long walk into my stand. I feel like this would have to be something that I pack in and either slide over what I wear in or pull my top layer completely off before putting these on. I love the idea, I'm just not able to think through how I would put them to use.

Comment

Originally posted by rswell2 View Post
                      Could you tell me how you use these? I generally have quite a long walk into my stand. I feel like this would have to be something that I pack in and either slide over what I wear in or pull my top layer completely off before putting these on. I love the idea, I'm just not able to think through how I would put them to use.

Fair question. I always get hot on the walk in but then get cold during the sit. The beauty of the side zippers means you can carry them in your pack and then put them on under your pants without taking your pants and boots all the way off. Just drop your pants, unzip these, zip them on around your legs, and pull your pants back up. Easy breezy! Not an original idea to me, but definitely a cheapskate version!

Comment

Nicey done.
                        Is the insulating material waterproof though ? Once wet it will not keep you warm if not.

Great idea though, gaiters will keep your lower legs warm and dry if needed.

Comment

At the end of the day, I think you’ll like having a zipper closure over the Velcro which can be difficult to close (particularly if your hands are cold) and can be stiff and uncomfortable.

Great job!

Comment

Looks great, and gotta add this...

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              Nicey done.
                              Is the insulating material waterproof though ? Once wet it will not keep you warm if not.

Great idea though, gaiters will keep your lower legs warm and dry if needed.

Not waterproof, but my Attack pants are. So everything under them will be dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X