Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeder Pen, how big?? Pigs are killing me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Pen, how big?? Pigs are killing me!

OK guys, as you can tell by the pics, the pigs are getting as much or more protein than the deer. Those protein tubes are 38" off the ground. I kill em, trap em and have lost the battle. How big should my pens be? I know, like a tractor, they can't be too big, but I want to be smart with my money. How big then, square, rectangular, round, etc. Just went to TSC and priced the panels at $22/each, so I'm only going to pen the protein feeders, not the corn slingers. Thanks for your advice.
    Attached Files

We use a minimum of 6 hog panels, typically in a circle pattern. If you can do 10 panels, that would be better

Comment

I use a full roll of net wire (330').

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
        We use a minimum of 6 hog panels, typically in a circle pattern. If you can do 10 panels, that would be better
        This. 6 minimum, but huger (hi, Bisch!) is mo betta!

Comment

6-8 panels, the bigger the better. The deer will be less skittish in a big pen.

Comment

The real question is how small can it be.

I wouldn't use less than 8 panels. It would pay for itself.

Comment

We make ours 60 ft diameter circles. 12 16' panels or 16 12' panels. make them as big as you can afford is the best advice.

Comment

Ok, so 8-10 panels. Everyone think they should be round?

Comment

I take 4-5 48" tall panels and cut them in half to make 8-10 24" tall panels for circle pens. Havent had any problem with pigs getting in and deer dont mind them that size.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                    Preferably. Deer don't like corners.

Get a piece of rope how ever long you want your radius to be (you can back calculate this from your circumference measurement). Anchor it in the middle of the pen. Go around in a circle with the rope when setting it up.
                    Last edited by 44mAG; 06-27-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I did 21-22 panels.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                        NO!!!
                        8-10 is too small IMO
                        12 is perfect
                        Round is good, but square will work with 12 panels

Comment

Mine are 8 panels and 40' across and I have had no issues. Have as many as 7 bucks in the pens at a time and some laying in and around it too.
                          Last edited by Bazo; 06-27-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I use 8 pig panels and each end of each panel is 20' 11" from the center of the pen!
                            I use 16 T-post, a post to connect the panels and one post in the middle of each panel!

Comment

I used 14 hog and cattle panels with one tpost on each end of the panels and 2 in the middle of the panels. Seems to be working well.

Comment

Working...
                              X