Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody effected by these steel/aluminum tarrifs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just about all of it gets passed to the end user. There might be some projects put on hold if pipe gets too high or in short supply. I think it will end up being a good thing, though.

Comment

The one tarrif I can comment on with any knowledge is the Canadian lumber tariff slapped on them the first weeks he was in. I know loggers in Canada. They pay pennies for vast acreage of “queen lands”. The government builds the roads for them, bridges, whatever is needed, and we are talking thousands of miles of roads. They cut the timber, mill it and undersell American timber. They put the southern lumber industry out of business. Trump puts a tarrif on them. People screamed it would cause a lumber shortage, increase cost, put builders out of business....it didn’t. Now, a year later, we have new mills being built pouring hundreds of millions into economies of poverty. These people WANT WORK. Now we are getting it. THAT tariff worked. I’ll bet this one will too.

Comment

Oil

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
        What tariffs did Obama propose?
        If I remember right (and I may have read it wrong) he suggested imposing tariffs on non-domestic oil. Just about everyone on here started ranting about what a horrible idea it was.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
          If I remember right (and I may have read it wrong) he suggested imposing tariffs on non-domestic oil. Just about everyone on here started ranting about what a horrible idea it was.
          After reading a lot of oil and gas threads on here, I can't imagine all these guys would be against such a tariff, even if it was Obama.

Comment

Didn't Obama put a tariff on black guns...in a round about way

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
              Didn't Obama put a tariff on black guns...in a round about way
              That and .22 ammo. Yes, yes he did.

Comment

There are some bad deals out there for the USA that needs to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                  How will this effect your pricing and profit margins?
                  Especially for the jobs you've already bid on/accepted but have yet to purchase the raw materials for.
                  Anybody???
                  Do you eat the cost or go back to your client and tell them "because of the tariffs...."

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                    There are some bad deals out there for the USA that needs to be fixed.
                    There are 200 something countries in the world
                    I want to see a list of total amount of foreign aid going to each one ranked top to bottom

Comment

I like this tariff move
                      Only if he would come with a more complete thought out plan

How about having SMART goals describing how to move ppl in the South and Midwest off of welfare into the newly reopened steel mills
                      I know Alabama has a bunch of closed down mills and also has a high welfare rate

The more I think of it the more I think this is something I could really get behind
                      Have the granola treehuggers help him design a more complete aluminum recycling campaign
                      I wonder what the recycle rate is for cans anyway?

I need to look that up

This is just the cost of doing business in America
                      The biggest market in the world

Comment

Anybody???
                        Do you eat the cost or go back to your client and tell them "because of the tariffs...."
                        First off, the prices don't jump immediately. Secondly, proposals normally state that prices are good for X amount of days. Usually 30 days.

Comment

I'm not sure there is ever anything wrong with putting America first. Funny thing is domestic metal will rise until it hits a point that is at or above foreign metals again and the people who will by import metals will go back to importing it'll just cost more.

Comment

Anybody???
                            When both parties are in agreement its for a set amount of steel at an agreed upon $ amount. When we go to purchase the next orders the agreement will be re discussed with Tariffs cost accounted for.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                              I'm not sure there is ever anything wrong with putting America first. Funny thing is domestic metal will rise until it hits a point that is at or above foreign metals again and the people who will by import metals will go back to importing it'll just cost more.
                              PuttingAmerica 1st can be a bad thing when you try to help one industry (steel) but you kill dozens of downstream industries (automobiles. Commercial construction, manufacturing, etc.) Because of the higher cost for raw material.

I like his thought process but I'd like to have seen a more thorough robust and complete plan from him.
                              He just did "we're going to increase the tariff"
                              Rather than saying "we're going to increase tariffs and here are the dozen reasons why and the two dozen downstream benefits but the half dozen downstream pitfalls"

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                                When both parties are in agreement its for a set amount of steel at an agreed upon $ amount. When we go to purchase the next orders the agreement will be re discussed with Tariffs cost accounted for.
                                Sounds smart.
                                Dang
                                Now I just thought of those huge Deere and Caterpillar earth movers
                                They use a ton of steel

Comment

Working...
                                X