No announcement yet.

Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, missed that about the specific generator and agree in that case with startup run one or will be pushing it.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
      One thing we learned about generators from not having power for 13 days after Ike, is that it's pretty expensive to keep one going constantly.

I guess what I'm saying is it's kind of a fallacy to spend $25-30 per day to keep a freezer going after a week. Perhaps if you have a ton of meat. However, we eventually unplugged our freezer as it didn't make sense to keep it going just to save a couple hundred dollars worth of meat.

Post Ike, I would have much preferred to run a window unit AC, lights and TV over the freezer.
      With Ike we just cooked everything and had a huge meal. Smoked meat will last a while. Ate a couple of days off the freezer. Used my gas grill to reheat. Didn't throw anything away, lol.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
        The gentleman asked specifically about the Honda E2000i, which is what I was addressing. I have owned this generator and was cautioning him about it's max amp load.

AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)
        That's not going to run much. I have a 2500 W inverter in my truck and it trips from running a laptop and a coffee maker.

Comment

Last edited by JRL; 08-24-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
            Pretty much battened down here in Victoria. (I don't think most other people are though) I'm gonna have to ride it out here with work but thinking I'm gonna put momma and the boys on the road north this afternoon.

I can't leave . Hurricane crew . Here at Formosa . It's looking like they are going to release my department Friday at noon

Comment

Hey Johnny or CCBluewater, is it a fair statement to say that the Euro model is more trusted than the GFS?

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post
                With Ike we just cooked everything and had a huge meal. Smoked meat will last a while. Ate a couple of days off the freezer. Used my gas grill to reheat. Didn't throw anything away, lol.

This is kind of our plan. We only have about $100 in meat in the freezer, but if electricity goes down, we are inviting the neighbors to eat in exchange for use of their generator for wifi and charging.

Comment

Learn my lesson with Ike. Had a whole home generator put in about a year ago. As far as I can tell there's maybe five homes in this entire neighborhood that will be using gas....

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                    I've alway lived by the "plug stuff in until the breaker trips." Then you unplug the last thing and rock and roll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I see we have the same electrical degree.

Comment

Yea, there's some uncertainty.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                        Good Lord...no joke

Comment

Whoa!

Comment

Aww, Hades!

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post

Same here. We had been in our new house for a month. I pulled the gas grill to the cul-de-sac and neighbor brought out an old smokey on the 2nd night without power. Me and another guy played guitar too. Before the end of the night I think we had 10 or 12 families hanging out and bringing all the freezer meats down to cook. Got to know our new neighbors really fast that way. Silver lining in some things I guess but I also remember how our neighborhood was like a war zone. I spent 2 days going around helping clear streets my chainsaw and hauling limbs to one of the swimming pools where we filled a big parking lot up. HOA hired some company to come haul it all off to the Katy prairie somewhere for burning.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                                Same here. We had been in our new house for a month. I pulled the gas grill to the cul-de-sac and neighbor brought out an old smokey on the 2nd night without power. Me and another guy played guitar too. Before the end of the night I think we had 10 or 12 families hanging out and bringing all the freezer meats down to cook. Got to know our new neighbors really fast that way. Silver lining in some things I guess but I also remember how our neighborhood was like a war zone. I spent 2 days going around helping clear streets my chainsaw and hauling limbs to one of the swimming pools where we filled a big parking lot up. HOA hired some company to come haul it all off to the Katy prairie somewhere for burning.
                                I really did enjoy that aspect, when the lights go out that's when you really get a sense of community.

Comment

Working...
                                X