Lawn Guru's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawn Guru's

New homeowner here with a fairly established St. Augustine yard and I'm looking to get it prepared for the winter. I've read quite a bit on Randy Lemmon's website and some on the other guy from Dallas (his name is slipping my brain right now).

Anywho, Randy suggest putting out a winter fertilizer right about now and a either 2 herbicides or a 2-in-1. My question is what do you guys prefer for winter fertilizer as most of the stuff he suggest on his website is mainly found in the Houston area. Also I was reading quite a few folks recommend going with the barricade for a 2-in-1 herbicide. Any tips, suggestions, reviews, directions......anything???

I only trust Scotts.Little pricey but never let me down . I use it on my yard and on all my customers yard that request it to be fertilized.

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just follow the Scott's bag and you will have the lawn of the month.

Comment

I always use Randy's fertilizer schedule...winterizer now!

Comment

I've been told to avoid Scott's by a landscaping buddy and he generally steers me towards lesco. I'll see if I still have the notes on what he said to put out at what times.

Comment

Originally posted by haztech3 View Post
              I only trust Scotts.Little pricey but never let me down . I use it on my yard and on all my customers yard that request it to be fertilized.
              Do you use their Weed and Feed, Bonus S?

Comment

Originally posted by haztech3 View Post
                Interesting...I've always heard bad things about Scott's but I've never had any experience with it.

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                I always use Randy's fertilizer schedule...winterizer now!
                I know I'm trying to follow it but I'm hoping to get some opinions on which brand of fertilizer to use!!

Comment

Just put it down last week---Vigoro 19-0-9 I think, with much of the nitrogen in encapsulated slow release form---as Mr. Sperry recommends. It is about half the price of Scotts, and no Weed 'n Feed.

Comment

Without a soil test we're all just guessing. Barricade is a great pre-emergent for both grassy and broadleaf weeds as long as you get the timing right. For Tyler, I'd be putting it down here pretty soon.

p.s. you're probably thinking of Neil Sperry. He's in Dallas so his schedule will be more appropriate for Tyler.
                    Last edited by Pintail45; 10-03-2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                      I've been told to avoid Scott's by a landscaping buddy and he generally steers me towards lesco. I'll see if I still have the notes on what he said to put out at what times.
                      Nothing wrong with Scott's other than their prices. They rule the roost in the residential market. Lesco is owned by John Deere Landscapes (SiteOne) and marketed to professionals at jobber prices. I wouldn't hesitate to use either.

Comment

Lawn Guru's

You have to search around, but Nitro Phos is the brand that has the numbers you're looking for. I've found this brand at Ace hardware stores.

I am trying to follow the Lemon plan, and I will be using Halts as my 2 in 1 as my pre emergent. I found it at Lowe's.

Last edited by TallTexan; 10-04-2017, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                          Just put it down last week---Vigoro 19-0-9 I think, with much of the nitrogen in encapsulated slow release form---as Mr. Sperry recommends. It is about half the price of Scotts, and no Weed 'n Feed.
                          Hm maybe I need to look for Vigoro. Neil Sperry, that's the other name I was trying to remember!

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
                          Without a soil test we're all just guessing. Barricade is a great pre-emergent for both grassy and broadleaf weeds as long as you get the timing right. For Tyler, I'd be putting it down here pretty soon.

p.s. you're probably thinking of Neil Sperry. He's in Dallas so his schedule will be more appropriate for Tyler.
                          That's exactly it!! His website isn't nearly as convenient to search around in so I typically resort to Lemmon's but maybe I should just buy Neil's book and be done with with.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Winterizer lawn fertilizer should be a 3-1-2.

Comment

It all depends on your soil and to do it right need to send off for soil samples. Don't put out a lot of nitrogen in the fall. Use 10-10-10 or similar and you will be good. I got 40lb bags at Wally's for like $5 the other day.

Comment

Working...
                              X