First Turkey Hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Becka Marie View Post
    Oh My Ughhhhhhhhh........ today really has me thinking about giving up my goal to turkey hunt! I was on a turkey since 830 this morning and that gobbler gave me a run for my money. Crazy bird ended up going all the way around me and ended up on top of me where I couldn’t get a shot! Literally 2.5 hours chasing that bird around and he won......

As frustrating as this is, im not giving up hope yet. I just gotta figure out a better game plan.

All suggestions are welcome [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you running and gunning, or staying put and trying to just call him to you?

When he was close, did you do loud yelps, or were you able to purr a little bit to get him to wander around in tighter?

I agree with the decoy suggestion... but I'd also be curious on how you are using terrain features to block him from coming in behind you. Are you setup where he has no real choice but to come in to the area in front of you?

If you need to buy a decoy, try and find a single hen at a minimum. If the gobbler has been beat up, etc, he might not come into a jake setup... but a lone hen or 2 hens... well... what guy doesn't want a new girlfriend without having to put up a fight...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Thanks...It is a Dakota Decoy Jake and a David Smith Decoys (DSD) upright hen. I bought the jake on ebay on a deal so cheap I couldn't pass it up when I was wanting to upgrade from my foam decoys.....and my buddy ClayW and his Dad, who are big DSD supporters and users have given me heck for it since I got it.. It is basically a copy of the DSD with a lesser paint job. That's why his Dad gave him the name Fake Jake and it stuck.

That being said, my goal is to have a DSD 3/4 jake, this upright hen I have, a feeder hen and the DSD mating pair in my arsenal before next year. I just want to be able to change things up since I am strictly bowhunting them now..

Here is the mating pair right before I killed my second Tom of the year off them.

[ATTACH]906545[/ATTACH]

And my set with a feeder hen I borrowed from Clay that weekend.

[ATTACH]906546[/ATTACH]
      Thanks for the good info sir, much appreciated. I am definitely gonna upgrade this year and DSD is definitely the frontrunner, that Dakota decoy looks darn good too though

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Were you running and gunning, or staying put and trying to just call him to you?

When he was close, did you do loud yelps, or were you able to purr a little bit to get him to wander around in tighter?

I agree with the decoy suggestion... but I'd also be curious on how you are using terrain features to block him from coming in behind you. Are you setup where he has no real choice but to come in to the area in front of you?

If you need to buy a decoy, try and find a single hen at a minimum. If the gobbler has been beat up, etc, he might not come into a jake setup... but a lone hen or 2 hens... well... what guy doesn't want a new girlfriend without having to put up a fight...

I was staying put, and he was in the bottom but no matter how much he hobbled, he wouldn’t come, so I moved around to the east of him and dropped a little lower thinking he could only come up one way.... little did I know, the bird that wouldn’t come up decides to go all the way around me and end up on top of me. He had a straight shot up - he just didn’t take it. And he was a HUGE bird. So bummed!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsbound View Post
          Thanks for the good info sir, much appreciated. I am definitely gonna upgrade this year and DSD is definitely the frontrunner, that Dakota decoy looks darn good too though

Appreciate the info too! I’m gonna google search those in a bit.

Comment

I was staying put, and he was in the bottom but no matter how much he hobbled, he wouldn’t come, so I moved around to the east of him and dropped a little lower thinking he could only come up one way.... little did I know, the bird that wouldn’t come up decides to go all the way around me and end up on top of me. He had a straight shot up - he just didn’t take it. And he was a HUGE bird. So bummed!

How often are you calling? Did he come in from where you had been? Sounds like when you moved and went quiet, he moved too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm late to the party, but keep at it! I'm a little envious, I haven't hunted them in several years and they are one of my favorite animals to chase! That 2.5 hours of the game is what it's all about!
              I think the last time I went, I was working a bird for my daughter. We spotted some across a county road, in wheat we didn't have permission to hunt. I set up our decoys about 15yds on our side of the fence and went to work. I called the birds out of the wheat. It was intense seeing them pop their heads above it now and then as they slowly worked our way. When they got to the road, I saw there was a hen with them. No wonder they took their time! Once they got in the gravel road, the Tom put on a show! We were against the fence and 20 or so feet away (maybe closer to 10) that Tom strutted and drug his wing tips on that gravel road for a long time! I kept hoping and praying the hen would see my hen decoy and come through the fence for a visit. Eventually, the wind blew my decoy over. I don't even remember what happened in the end, but we didn't get our bird. He never came through the fence for a legal shot!
              I'd do it all over again for that experience!

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
                I'm late to the party, but keep at it! I'm a little envious, I haven't hunted them in several years and they are one of my favorite animals to chase! That 2.5 hours of the game is what it's all about!
                I think the last time I went, I was working a bird for my daughter. We spotted some across a county road, in wheat we didn't have permission to hunt. I set up our decoys about 15yds on our side of the fence and went to work. I called the birds out of the wheat. It was intense seeing them pop their heads above it now and then as they slowly worked our way. When they got to the road, I saw there was a hen with them. No wonder they took their time! Once they got in the gravel road, the Tom put on a show! We were against the fence and 20 or so feet away (maybe closer to 10) that Tom strutted and drug his wing tips on that gravel road for a long time! I kept hoping and praying the hen would see my hen decoy and come through the fence for a visit. Eventually, the wind blew my decoy over. I don't even remember what happened in the end, but we didn't get our bird. He never came through the fence for a legal shot!
                I'd do it all over again for that experience!

I absolutely love stories like that! It is definitely what keeps me going!!

Comment

How often are you calling? Did he come in from where you had been? Sounds like when you moved and went quiet, he moved too.

We were chatting away together and he wouldn’t stop gobbling back at me. I just didn’t realize he would go around me and come up from behind. Maybe a rookie mistake on my part, most likely, but I seem to learn a little more each time. He was on top of me before I even realized he made it to me, as soon as I turned around just to look his direction he spotted me and took off

Comment

We were chatting away together and he wouldn’t stop gobbling back at me. I just didn’t realize he would go around me and come up from behind. Maybe a rookie mistake on my part, most likely, but I seem to learn a little more each time. He was on top of me before I even realized he made it to me, as soon as I turned around just to look his direction he spotted me and took off

When they gobble back at you, but don't seem to move... give them the silent treatment and be ready. They know where you are. You dont have to keep telling them.

Comment

When they gobble back at you, but don't seem to move... give them the silent treatment and be ready. They know where you are. You dont have to keep telling them.

This ^^^^ don’t let the bird work you, you work the bird

Comment

Got it! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
                          This ^^^^ don’t let the bird work you, you work the bird

I’m pretty sure they are working me.... 🤦🏻*♀️

Comment

Waiting for the smackdown pics! You can do it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Becka Marie - we're hoping today is the day for you. Good luck out there!

Comment

Nothing today.... I’m telling you all, I’m really beginning to lose my enthusiasm. I’m feeling very defeated after yesterday. I didn’t even hear any gobbling today, which is usually what keeps me going. I’m trying my best to keep my game face on... it’s really hot today, so I’m going to wait and head out around 5am in the morning. Fingers crossed and praying that tomorrow is the day!

Comment

Working...
                                X