X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck!!! I hope you get one.

Spring turkey hunting is definitely a blast. I love it.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I’m really trying... I’m such a rookie and it shows more and more every time I go out into the woods. Lol. I have to laugh at myself to keep from beating myself up too badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Becka Marie View Post
          Thanks everyone! I’m really trying... I’m such a rookie and it shows more and more every time I go out into the woods. Lol. I have to laugh at myself to keep from beating myself up too badly.

Congrats on getting out there. Having fun is the main part. Experience is a great teacher

Comment

Get some decoys it really helps.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyterry View Post
              Get some decoys it really helps.

Comment

Yes, I am definitely going to try decoys this week now that my time is dwindling down. Today was another beautiful day but I only heard 1 gobbling and he kept getting further and further away from me. I have to work today so I can’t make it out this afternoon, but I will be out here first thing in the morning. Sigh..... even if I haven’t gotten my turkey yet, I’m still having a blast chasing them around.

Thanks everyone for the support, you guys are awesome!

Comment

Sweet!!!!! Congrats!!!! I’m trying to be like you [emoji5]

Comment

Nice Tom...Congrats!

But those may be the ugliest decoys I have ever seen.. Obviously they worked though..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

But those may be the ugliest decoys I have ever seen.. Obviously they worked though..
                      I know you were kidding, but also kinda serious. I recognize those decoys. I own a set. They didn't work out so well the first time I used them. Since then I haven't actually used a set of decoys because sitting near a feeder and calling them into the area seemed to work just fine...

I am sure sitting over corn might not be the most sporty... but I'm convinced I/we have called in some toms that would not have otherwise just cruised by for the corn. You can just tell by their demeanor that they weren't there for the corn... but figured the "ghost hen" was likely there because of the corn... you get the idea.

But I still remember the first time I saw gobblers get hung up on those decoys we used and was somewhat disappointed. I picked up some "nicer" ones this year. Still not the best, but obviously painted better, etc.

I will say this much (held out because I am by far not the most knowledgeable...) but I will say that being able to soft talk to turkeys when they get hung up is invaluable. I had a few times this past season that I busted them up or had some strutters hang up out of range. Being able to put out some soft purrs and clucks really did a number on them and brought them in.

I was playing around once when some hens that came through decided they were leaving. There is no better decoy than the real thing, so I would purr and soft yelp to get those ladies fired up... they hung around and at one point were circling my blind looking for me.... that did the trick because 15 minutes after they were about to bolt... here come thundering in some gobblers looking for a party.

Comment

Good luck on your next hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          I know you were kidding, but also kinda serious. I recognize those decoys. I own a set. They didn't work out so well the first time I used them. Since then I haven't actually used a set of decoys because sitting near a feeder and calling them into the area seemed to work just fine...

I am sure sitting over corn might not be the most sporty... but I'm convinced I/we have called in some toms that would not have otherwise just cruised by for the corn. You can just tell by their demeanor that they weren't there for the corn... but figured the "ghost hen" was likely there because of the corn... you get the idea.

But I still remember the first time I saw gobblers get hung up on those decoys we used and was somewhat disappointed. I picked up some "nicer" ones this year. Still not the best, but obviously painted better, etc.

I will say this much (held out because I am by far not the most knowledgeable...) but I will say that being able to soft talk to turkeys when they get hung up is invaluable. I had a few times this past season that I busted them up or had some strutters hang up out of range. Being able to put out some soft purrs and clucks really did a number on them and brought them in.

I was playing around once when some hens that came through decided they were leaving. There is no better decoy than the real thing, so I would purr and soft yelp to get those ladies fired up... they hung around and at one point were circling my blind looking for me.... that did the trick because 15 minutes after they were about to bolt... here come thundering in some gobblers looking for a party.

50/50 of both... I have owned similar sets... some with less color even, but I did at least try to puff them out when I set them up.. So I do speak from experience..

Circa 2007 decoys.. passed on to a members son in 2015 I think.....after I repainted them. Yep I had painted the jake on the left to look like a second hen too..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1332.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	24538626

That being said the switch to Dakota and DSD decoys two years ago was night and day as far as the turkeys reacting to them....and more importantly staying with them and not spooking. They made a believer out of me and several of my lease members.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOwg5EWthKY&t=137s"]Texas Tom beats up Dakota jake decoy - YouTube[/ame]
                          Last edited by Smart; 04-30-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Sorry Becka Marie for the highjack.....

Comment

All I am going to say is it is crazy how Turkey season drives you to wanna buy so much stuff. I haven't even used my newer decoys and already I was looking at nicer ones instead Same things with the calls, I already want a louder pot call to have handy too.

I tell ya what Becka... it's addicting!

Comment

First Turkey Hunt!

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                                All I am going to say is it is crazy how Turkey season drives you to wanna buy so much stuff. I haven't even used my newer decoys and already I was looking at nicer ones instead [emoji3] Same things with the calls, I already want a louder pot call to have handy too.

I tell ya what Becka... it's addicting!

Yup.. I’m shopping new popups and the new DSD mating pair of dekes myself just to be able to change it up..... and what I had this year worked great[emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X