LIVE from Fredericksburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LIVE from Fredericksburg

My son and I are on a Doe hunt in Fredicksburg looking to fill the freezer. Stay tuned.

Good luck

Comment

Shouldn't be tough up there Good luck

Comment

Hammer down, good luck

Comment

Good luck

Comment

My son connected with the 1st does. We are waiting to see if anymore will come out. Stay Tuned.

Comment

Good luck and fill some tags!!

Comment

Knock 'em down!

Comment

Get it done

Comment

Congrats to your son & good luck on the rest of your hunt

Comment

Thanks guys 1 point coming in but he isn't on the list. Waiting to see if some Axis will show.

Comment

Congrats and good luck.

Comment

ok here is the story. The fog was really heavy in Fredricksburg. We were invited to hunt some management whitetail and axis does off this property. My son dusted his 1st doe of the day (dropped in her tracks with the Rossi .223), 2nd in his hunting career, and most of the deer ran off. We waited patiently and 2 yearlings came back. Finally after about an hour we had another mature doe come in and took probably 15 minutes to get settled in to eat for a shot. I got my son set up on the doe of choice and whack! Second do hit, jumped about 10' in the air and ran about 40 yards. After 20 minutes in the replay booth we decided the hit the deer low in the front leg while quartering to us (she was moving around alot). So we let her bed down and went to eat lunch and clean his first deer and my dads deer. The land owner went back during lunch and found her dead about 50 yards past the last place I saw her. It was a low leg shot that hit low vitals and got the job done!. No LPDs on that deer but I have one on the first deer. That evening hunt my son and I sat in the same stand and with in 10 minutes we had a fawn at the feeder eating. The feeder goes off at 4:30pm and it was 3:40pm currently but we had some hand corn out that she was eating. At 4pm we had 3 yearlings come out and feed around the hand corn. 4:15 rolls around and the fog starts rolling in and I start wondering if any Mature deer will show before the feeder goes off in hopes for a double. Also in hopes that the axis deer might make a stop by for a bite since I have not shot one before. I started glassing off to the north and spotted 3 deer running around and 1 mature doe hanging out looking at the feeder. With an East wind she was circling to a fence row the is perpendicular to my stand that ends about 10 yards from the stand. Not knowing what her intentions were I hunkered down in the stand since she was following the fence row right toward my stand but looking at the deer at the feeder. She would move 40 yards then stare down the stand then switch to the feeder. Finally after what felt like years she broke toward the feeder and got settled in front of the blind eating hand corn about 50 yards from the blind. Normally I would get my Mathews Z7 extreme ready to make a strike but with weather and tight time lines I brought the Savage Axis .22-250. I maneuvered my smoke pole out the window and settled the cross behind the front shoulder and then lowered to the heart and let it ring out. The deer jumped then ran about 20 yards and hit the deck. 1 down 1 to go shot taken at 4:28pm. By my watch the feeder went off at 4:32pm and the yearlings came back. I then heard my dad shoot and hit one. I sat for 30 minutes and did not see any other deer then was trying to talk myself into shooting a 1.5 year old doe to complete my hunt and fulfill my obligation of the management program which was take out does. I then started glassing again and spotted a 1 point. I texted the owner and let him know what was the only "Mature" deer if you could classify him that because he was 2 year old and his spike was about 12" long. He said shoot if that is the only option. I told him I would wait and see what happens. About 5:10pm I spotted a mature doe by the same tree I spotted the first doe I watched come in before I shot her. She was looking toward the fence that led to my stand (like the last) and there were 2 more mature does up next to the fence. So again it seemed like deja vu from 30 min. before. So I hunkered down again and prepared the same way I did before. They came the same route staring down the blind and then back to the feeder with 4 yearlings eating. I kept trying to look out the window to see where they were and the lead doe was staring a hole in the blind. She was a little more grey and bigger than the rest so I could pick her out of a lineup. So I leaned forward to check out where they were at and she was still staring so I froze and stared back. It was the classical elementary school stare off. In which she challenged me to a duel. I then and there knew she was going to be my target. All the other does past her and went to the feeder and started eating. Then she gave up and moved toward the feeder as well. So I collected my sniper rifle (.22-250) and raised it up and she stared me down again. Then went back to eating. This happened 5 times until I got my gun out the window and settled on her tail because she was facing away. I watched her feed through the scope for a minute then she circled around and turned broadside about the same location as the other doe I shot earlier. I settled the cross behind the shoulder and down to the heart. I squeezed the trigger gently as my nemesis jumped in the air and ran north circling behind 3 big trees about 75 yards away. There were also 3 or 4 more deer in those trees once I got my binoculars up to search. I spot a Mature doe that is moving away but in the fog could quite figure out if it was her. I follow her a while and she steps out of the fog and I can tell her coat is brown. My target was grey so I searched through and couldnt tell on the others so I trusted I made a good shot. After some additional glassing I spotted an Axis doe head down a trail in some tall grass 100 yards away. I texted the owner and he said pull the trigger if I get a chance. I waited and the (2) axis does were moving toward me. So I started glassing ahead for a shot window and spotted 1 window. I raised my sniper rifle 1 more time and go set up for the shot. The axis walked to the tree by the shot window of the woods and turned 90 degrees and went back about 20 yards and went behind the tall grass and continued to the neighbors property where there was a grain field. Game over. However, some more deer came in including a couple of bucks and capped off a really good sit. Coming from our normal sits of rarely seeing a deer, my son and I enjoyed a really good weekend of game management.
                          Last edited by Arrowflinger84; 01-16-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

sorry it took me so long to post the update.

Comment

Congrats to your boy!

Comment

Working...
                              X