Knife makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife makers

For those that use a Paragon oven for heat treat, what program settings are you using to heat treat ats-34? Ramp rate is what I'm most interested in.

Regardless of the brand oven used most of us ramp the temp as fast as possible 9999 for everything.

Comment

Agree with Mike. Ramp rate isn't critical, IMO. I typically start cold and stage mine at 1500-1600 for a few minutes to equalize, then on up to 1950 for CM154/Ats-34. Plate quench, then dry ice/kerosene immediately. Temper after that, typically from 450 to 550, depending on the hardness test results. I have found some inconsistency between bars or batches, so that I can't just say "temper at *** for RC 59."

Comment

Ok on the ramp rate, just wanted to make sure I didn't ramp too fast and warp or crack anything.

Is the cryo absolutely necessary? I've read different things and most say no, some say yes.

Comment

I don't think it's absolutely necessary but it certainly doesn't hurt. Most gain I've seen is a 1 point difference. A lot of guys are using dry ice and RV antifreeze these days to eliminate the toxic fumes and fire danger associated with kerosene or acetone.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeConner View Post
            I don't think it's absolutely necessary but it certainly doesn't hurt. Most gain I've seen is a 1 point difference. A lot of guys are using dry ice and RV antifreeze these days to eliminate the toxic fumes and fire danger associated with kerosene or acetone.

I agree 100% will all Mike said; the RV antifreeze is sure safer!

Comment

OK, my first test piece came out really low. Here's my recipe, so please tell me what I need to change to get the hardness up. It came out at about 51, way too low. 1/8" ATS-34

Start cold oven and ramp full to 1450, hold for 10 minutes.
              Ramp full to 1950, soak for 15 minutes (I think this is where I messed up. Should be about 45 minutes)
              Remove and plate quench to below 125.
              Immediately, place in oven and soak at 450 for 2 hours.
              Shut off oven and let it cool to room temp.
              Start oven and soak at 450 for another 2 hours.

Open to suggestions about what to modify to get 59-60, at 51 now.

Comment

following

Comment

From my experience that should have resulted in about 63-64 after plate quench and around 59-60 after temper. Are you sure of the steel type and how did you test for hardness.

Comment

Agree with Mike, didn't see anything wonky in your procedure. Did you foil wrap them?

Comment

I agree from the research that I've done, it should have came in at least closer to 59-60 than it did. Now, the testing was done with a portable "rebound tester" that a friend (mechanical engineer) borrowed from his office. I'm not 100% confident in the test as the rebound testers specs say it isn't suitable for thin parts like knife blades, but he insists that it is accurate within 0.5 harness. I don't have access to any files or any other hardness tester. I know for sure the test piece was ATS-34 (at least that what I ordered and it was marked when I received it). It was foil wrapped during the high heat cycle and plate quench. I would like to get it tested by a more accurate tester, but lack of access is preventing that at the moment.

Comment

You could mail it to me and I could test it for you, if you want. I have a regular bench model tester. PM me if you're interested.

Comment

OK, thanks. I'll let you know pretty quick.

Comment

What does it do when you hit it with a regular file? 59 will dig a little, not totally skate, but 51 will dig quite a bit.

Comment

I hit it a few times with a file and it skated without digging in. It definitely had the "glass" sound that is usually associated with a hard metal piece. I will recheck it again tonight when I get home.

Comment

Working...
                              X