Mesquite Bean Jelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite Bean Jelly

I did a search for mesquite bean jelly and much to my surprise - there isn't one on TBH. So, here's mine:

Pick mesquite beans when they are ripe - they should practically be falling off the tree or very easy to pull. Most of the trees will have beans with brownish or reddish streaks. I actually picked some from a tree that the bean pods were white. For my area, this is about the end of July, beginning of August time frame.

Wash the bean pods off, break them in half and put them in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the beans and boil the sap out, about 30 minutes of boiling. You do not need to pop the beans out, they can stay in the pods.

At this point you can cool the juice, strain it, and then freeze it, or you can move onto the next step. (Mom boiled the beans and 2 feed sacks of pods made 8 containers of 4 cups each, which were frozen. See below for what she did with the extra juice that didn't make 4 cups.)

Put 4 cups of liquid in a pot, boil, then add 1 package of regular Sure Jell. (you are following the Sure Jell instructions) - boil for 1 minute, add 3 cups of sugar, return to a boil and dissolve the sugar.

Now you can pour it into canning jars and seal them. It will take about 2 weeks to jell.

Remember those white beans that I picked? They have a slight smoky flavor to them. The red - brown beans are more sweet, too.

____

Another survival note - the beans can be removed from the pods and ground into flour.

Can you describe the taste?

Comment

It is a sweet, slightly mesquite flavor. The white beans had a sweet, slightly smoky flavor. It is very mild flavor jelly. You know how grape jelly tastes? fruity? These taste more woody.. no, not woody... not fruity but smooth, even flavor.

Comment

One of my favorites. Inlaws make it so no clue on recipe

Comment

I will be out at my terlingua land Labor Day. Hope I can find some ripe beans, as I have always wanted to make some jelly.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Labor Day may be too late to pick.

Next year I'll try to remember to pick a bunch and maybe give some away on here. This year seemed to have an incredible crop of beans. I guess the cooler wet weather in the spring and then the sudden hot dry period really boosted production. The wind was blowing them off the trees, so I knew it was time to pick.

Comment

I just realized I forgot an important part of the recipe - you need to add 1/4 cup of lemon juice when you add the sugar. If you don't, it won't set up.

Comment

Bought some at the a fair in Wimberley once, best jelly I have ever had.

Comment

I just finished making a small run of this and I have to say it tastes really good. As for quantities I used about four handfuls of beans and boiled them in 3 pints of water for an hour after I had broken them up. My liquid came out a golden brown. It hasn't set up yet but so far it seems to be a winner. I have plenty of liquid leftover to make more too.

Comment

Interesting. Saving for later

Comment

Tracey gave us some of her jelly, and it sat in the fridge for a while, because Daniel and I have been cutting sugar out of our diet. When we finally tried some, we both agreed it was amazing. In Daniel's words, it tastes like a delicacy, lol. It is hands down my favorite jelly, ever! Not too sweet and very smooth.

Comment

Working...
                      X