Leupold VX3i vs VX5HD vs VX6HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could use some help on a couple things here.

#1 - is it worth the money to go up from VX3i to 5HD or 6HD? Looks to me like the 5HD and 6HD are the same glass it's just what the multiplier is on magnification (3x15 or 3x18 for example). So if comparing 3i to 5HD, is it worth the significant increase in cost?

#2 - anybody have any experience with the CDS system? Seems like it would be pretty cool if you knew what you were doing. I'm trying to decide if I would want a standard duplex with CDS or if I'd be happier with a BDC type reticle and no moving parts.

This would be for a deer hunting rig, likely a 7mm or 300 win mag. Most shots would be inside of 300 yards which I have done fine with a regular old Nikon scope on for years but I'm interested in stretching my legs. Could see me getting into long range shooting for fun. I sort of look at it like when I got my first single pin adjustable bow sight, I never shot past 60 yards before that and now I'm pretty dang good out to 100. I'd like to at least shoot a javelina at 500 yards once to say I did it.

I have a 5hd and feel like the glass is better than the 3’s. In the price between the 6 and 5 I don’t think it’s worth it unless you can find a 6 on sale. For me the 5HD is where I want to be for both features and price range.

As far as the CDS system, the only “catch” is that you need accurate ballistic data for where you will be shooting it primarily. Once you have that data it’s a very simple system. Range: 500 - dial turret to 5 - hold for wind - squeeeeeeze the trigger - brag that you’re a sniper.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I have a vx3i and a vx5hd. Both are very nice but i do prefer the vx5hd. Guess it just depends on the application.

Comment

I loved my vx5hd so much that I just bought another one for my new rifle. I love the low light performance of the scope. I think that is where you can tell the biggest difference in the glass.

Comment

I’ve got vx3i’s and a vx5hd. To me the vx5 is more clear. The cds with the zero stop on the vx5 is nice. Like others said, get accurate ballistic data, send it to leupold, then dial to whatever range you need. It’s simple and mine tracks darn good

Comment

I have a couple VX3 (non CDS models) and an VX6HD with CDS. The glass in the VX6 is definitely better in my opinion. I have not compared it to a VX5.

As for the CDS system, I just got the CDS dial back from Leupold about a month ago. I've only used it once, but was able to take a hog at 314 yards and it worked great. Dialed it to 300 and held dead on. It was nice not having to think about hold over, etc.

Comment

I have a vx5hd and really like it. I got the fire dot reticle thinking I would use it all the time. I've never turned it on.

Comment

The 5HD is the sweet spot. Great glass and still a reasonable price, although reticle options are limited.

I have a few VX6HD and they are super nice but the price has really gotten up there on them.

VX3i is a good budget option and still has decent glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Am I wrong in my understanding that the VX5HD and the VX6HD is the same glass? It appears the glass is the same, just the magnification range is greater (5x vs 6x or 3-15 vs 3-18).

Comment

Glass is supposedly the same..differences in price come from the 6 having aluminum lens protectors included, zero stop also on the windage knob, more reticles and even an anti-level feature built in to the reticle that flashes when you aren't level.

Comment

Originally posted by Djacker View Post
                      I have a vx5hd and really like it. I got the fire dot reticle thinking I would use it all the time. I've never turned it on.

I love the fire dot. Sure came in handy at dark last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My understanding is the coatings that goes on the glass for the VX5 and 6's is different. Leupold told me whenever they upgrade lens coatings, they drop the previous best to the next model and so on. The 6HD has more to it than the 5HD, the additional multiplier would not be as clear on the same power, the 6s kick the crap out of the 5 from what I remember

Comment

I have several 3i's and a couple 6HD's and the 6's are light years ahead of the 3i's. Not that the 3's aren't good scopes they are just not even in the same class as the 6's.

Comment

Originally posted by Jchunter View Post
                            My understanding is the coatings that goes on the glass for the VX5 and 6's is different. Leupold told me whenever they upgrade lens coatings, they drop the previous best to the next model and so on. The 6HD has more to it than the 5HD, the additional multiplier would not be as clear on the same power, the 6s kick the crap out of the 5 from what I remember

But worth the extra 1k plus for a second focal plane scope? I’m good thanks.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                              Am I wrong in my understanding that the VX5HD and the VX6HD is the same glass? It appears the glass is the same, just the magnification range is greater (5x vs 6x or 3-15 vs 3-18).

Same glass, different polishing and coatings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X