Trailer (above 4500lb) inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer (above 4500lb) inspection

Okay, need the GS to clarify something for me. I bought an 18' heavy duty low. It for hauling tractor around. I went to get it inspected and they said I have to have insurance on it? Does my auto not cover it? I'm a little confused on why I must buy insurance specifically for the trailer

Never heard of that

Comment

Me either, it's driving me crazy

Comment

What did your vehicle carrier say when you ask them??

Can you add the trailer to your current policy?

Comment

I got my 16' cargo trailer inspected a month ago before selling it. All I have ever been ask for was my vehicle insurance that is towing the trailer.

Comment

your car insurance will not cover it unless you actually list it on the policy now if you are borrowing the trailer from someone else then your car insurance will cover it under the liability part of your coverage just fyi

Comment

Insurance for the vehicle you used to tow the trailer to the inection place.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                I got my 16' cargo trailer inspected a month ago before selling it. All I have ever been ask for was my vehicle insurance that is towing the trailer.
                This for me too.

Comment

Lets hope they do away with this inspection when the state does away with vehicle inspections.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                    Lets hope they do away with this inspection when the state does away with vehicle inspections.
                    ...ain't gonna happen. That's too big of a cash cow for 'em...

Comment

I had one inspected 2 weeks ago with just my truck insurance.

Comment

Heard of google

What's Inspected by Vehicle Type

Items of Inspection for a Trailers or Mobile Homes

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
                        2. Tires
                        3. Wheel Assembly
                        4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
                        5. Tail Lamps (2)
                        6. Stop Lamps (2)
                        7. License Plate Lamp (1)
                        8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
                        9. Turn Signal Lamps
                        10. Clearance Lamps
                        11. Side Marker Lamps
                        12. Side Reflectors
                        13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
                        (Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
                        14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number
                        15. Window Tint.

Comment

If, for whatever reason, your auto coverage doesn't cover any trailer you pull...you need different insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            If, for whatever reason, your auto coverage doesn't cover any trailer you pull...you need different insurance.
                            Correct....Liability will extend from your vehicle to your trailer. What it doesn't cover is physical damage to your trailer unless you have a physical damage policy on the trailer itself...

Comment

Originally posted by dale moser View Post
                              if, for whatever reason, your auto coverage doesn't cover any trailer you pull...you need different insurance.
                              this

Comment

Working...
                              X