Transfer Switch for portable Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer Switch for portable Generator

Okay, wife convinced me to buy a Generatorr so I did research and picked one up today. Went with the Honda EU7000I. Who has had a transfer switch installed on home in order to run house off portable Gen? Not trying to by this weekend obviously but would like to have it done soon. Any thoughts or suggestions from those who have? It's rated for 5500 watts /7000max

I'm not familiar with a lot of the secondary power units but I have heard from a few folks (diy type folks) that it is worth having a pro to hook it all up especially if it is a propane/lpg unit.

Comment

Just turn off the main and back feed it through the electric dryer plug. (I'm prepared to get flamed)

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Ha! I've been told by several to do that. Also read up on it... it'll probably work, but I'm gonna pass. I have a feeling if something went wrong my Insurance company would frown upon it. Don't need to give them reason to ever deny a claim, if necessary.

No flames thrown!

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
          Just turn off the main and back feed it through the electric dryer plug. (I'm prepared to get flamed)

Yep

Comment

That's how mine is hooked up.

Comment

That is what many do, including myself. I had a two gang plug installed directly under my control panel, one to each pole. I moved all REQUIRED to same pole in the panel. I can look and digital electric meter to check when power has been restored.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                That is what many do, including myself. I had a two gang plug installed directly under my control panel, one to each pole. I moved all REQUIRED to same pole in the panel. I can look and digital electric meter to check when power has been restored.
                2 pole idea is a smart move.

Comment

I have a 220 plug in my garage for my welder. When we loose power I turn off the main breaker and plug my generator into that plug and back feed the whole house. I can run my AC, fridge, freezers, tv and well all on it. Just dont be drying any clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Soclose View Post
                    Ha! I've been told by several to do that. Also read up on it... it'll probably work, but I'm gonna pass. I have a feeling if something went wrong my Insurance company would frown upon it. Don't need to give them reason to ever deny a claim, if necessary.

No flames thrown!
                    I think Hllbndr23 was talking about people jumping on him for hooking his gen set up in this fashion when he said he was prepared to be flamed. If you open (turn off) your main before you start the generator and have the generator disconnected before closing (turning on) your main breaker, you should have know problems. It's not going to burn your house down. Good luck.

Comment

Comment

1,) You will need to Decide weather you want an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) or an MTS (Manuel Transfer Switch)
                        2.) Indoor out outdoor
                        3.) Figure Load for entire house panel
                        4.) Figure how many circuits needed
                        5.) https://w3.usa.siemens.com/powerdist...18-012-020.pdf

Comment

I had an electrician add a plug in for my 5500 generator on the outside of my garage just on the other side of the wall from my panel box inside the garage. Once I turn all the breakers off and turn the generator on, I can start flipping on breakers to the stuff I need (refrigerators, freezers, water heaters and rooms needing lights and ceiling fans). Trial and error will let you know how much you can run without tipping the generator breaker. To run the microwave and water heater at the same time is too much for my generator.

Never thought of plugging in the 220 dyer plug. Can you control the breaker box as I do with my set up? If so, cheaper than the electrician!

Comment

Another one here for just back feeding the pannel. Just make sure the main is switched off before hand.

Comment

I know most people know, but as a reminder..... Do it right, because back feeding the powerline can kill someone working to restore power on the powerlines. If done correctly, it works and no one will get hurt. NEVER ever ever have a generator running without turning off the main breaker back feeding thru a plug..

Comment

Working...
                              X