Need help with Deer Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Deer Meat

Okay guys I need some green screen help.

For years I have processed my deer myself. Although most of it ends up as hamburger. To tell you the truth, I have never really enjoyed it. Last year I moved to NC, and this year I hunted in SC where I grew up. I took the whole deer (2 bucks) to a local processor in SC and asked for different cuts per deer.

1 roast
    Back straps medallions
    Inner loins whole
    Cube steak
    Stew meat
    Hamburger

So here is where things went sideways. I assumed the last three would be divided evenly. I also assumed they would be wrapped in 1lb packages. I had to go to NC to get back to work so my dad went and picked up the deer. My cousin's freezer quit and he lost tons of deer meat. My sister-in-law also wanted some meat. I told my dad to give 10 packages of hamburger to my cousin and 5 packages to my SIL. When he brings it up to me I notice that the cuts I have a closer to 2-3 pounds per package, and I have no hamburger left. I asked the SIL for a couple of packages back because I know she doesn't care but I am not going to ask the cousin.
    So I have a ton of cube steak and stew meat. To make matters worse, I open the first package of stew meat today and find out it is all processed for hash i.e. not trimmed very well at all.
    It is just my wife, myself and my 3 yr old boy. We mostly use the hamburger all year for everything, and don't buy beef.
    Now I am trying to figure out how to get creative with cube steak and hash meat. I am sure I can grind it into hamburger, but my wife will kill me if I suggest she grind 2 pounds at time every week.
    Recipes, thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

Sorry for the long write up.

Carne Guisada is awesome and very easy to cook with your stew/hash meat. stew meat and rice..... for the cube steak chicken fry or smother in onions and gravy.

Comment

Find some good crock pot recipes.

Comment

I would recommend getting a grinder and grinding the cube steak with brisket to make your own burger.

Comment

Flesta brand...CARNE GUISADA SEASINING.(HEB/WM).Is the easy way to make..just follow directions on back of container.(its ex).Then slap some on a Tortilla ar over rice/potatoes..

and all you need is meat/ water/ oil/and above seasoning...

Thx justin for reminder I will cook some today

Comment

Never assume anything. It will get you in trouble.
            Bite the bullet and grind it.
            Lesson learned.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. The carne guisada sounds good. Probably end up grinding the cube steak since the only recipe that comes to mind is battered and fried or crock pot.

Comment

Cube steak is fine on the grill and takes up a marinade very nicely. Just don't overcook it!

An even easier way is to heat up a Teflon skillet, sprinkle some seasonings on the cube steak and throw it in the pan for about a minute, flip it and give it a minute or two and it's ready to eat. Just don't overcook it!

Cube steak done either way is one of my wife's favorite ways to eat venison.

Comment

This is why I do my own deer. Sorry you have to deal with their interpretation. But, it is all still good meat and I just use it like beef - well, those cuts that you asked about anyway. The larger cuts, I cook low and slow.

Comment

thaw it all, grind it to burger and refreeze in portions that you want

Comment

Thanks guys.
                      Made some stew the other day with the stew meat, potatoes, onions, carrots, gravy, spices etc. It was pretty darn good and you couldn't tell anything different with the texture or taste. Cube steak tonight, pan fried with my own batter recipe. Going to try the Carne Guisada next week.

Comment

Beat the cubed meat out flat chicken fry just like back strap. cut up onion and mushrooms fry until tender make a gravy enough to cover all the meat completely add everthing back in and simmer on very low temp for 1 hour.

Comment

I tried the Bolner’s Fiesta brand carne guisada seasoning and it was not for me, didn’t like it. Just a personal opinion.

Comment

Cube steak is great if you just salt and pepper it, brown it in a skillet then add some brown gravy. Serve over rice or egg noodles.

Comment

Working...
                            X