Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #151
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
John, I might take them off your hands.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Someone had sent me a PM early this morning asking for them. I sent him a PM to find out when he'd be up on this side of town but haven't heard back. If he doesn't respond in the next couple of days I'll let you know.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #152
huntinfool
Pope & Young
 
huntinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, Texas
Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Someone had sent me a PM early this morning asking for them. I sent him a PM to find out when he'd be up on this side of town but haven't heard back. If he doesn't respond in the next couple of days I'll let you know.
No worries

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #153
BowOnly81
Pope & Young
 
BowOnly81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Trinity, TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
No worries

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
We'll look what the cat dragged in! How are you stranger?!
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #154
AJMag
Pope & Young
 
AJMag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix40 View Post
I did a ton of hiking and put up a couple trail cameras saturday. Ill go back down and check them in a month and reevaluate. Hoping to get an idea of what bucks are in the area and how deer are using the funnels I found. Itll be fun to watch them for the next three months.
Better pray those cameras are still there. IF.... i set one out, it gets a week tops. My pockets aren't deep enough to gamble. And i wish bucks found right now would still around. We have a nice 10 running around dad's property that I'd love to drop, but know he won't be around come gun season. Bow season maybe, but on such a small area to hunt, I'd rather try to DRT him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
AJMag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #155
huntinfool
Pope & Young
 
huntinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, Texas
Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowOnly81 View Post
We'll look what the cat dragged in! How are you stranger?!
Hey brother! Not doing real well, hence the reason I haven't been around. Working on making it all better.


Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 12:58 AM   #156
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
Hey brother! Not doing real well, hence the reason I haven't been around. Working on making it all better.


Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I hate to hear that. Deer season usually serves as a pretty good cure for what ails me. Hopefully we can all just limp on a bit longer.

I miss hunting in the forest with you and all these other ne'er do wells. Just been so busy- not a bad thing though- it's hard to find the time to get my boots on the ground. Work is really crimping my hunting time.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #157
BowOnly81
Pope & Young
 
BowOnly81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Trinity, TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
Hey brother! Not doing real well, hence the reason I haven't been around. Working on making it all better.


Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Dang D. Hate to hear that. Hope it all works out. Let me know if there's something I can do to help.
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #158
huntinfool
Pope & Young
 
huntinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, Texas
Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)
Default

Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately there isn't anything anyone can do except pray. ( Unless anyone has a bunch of money or an attorney in the family that owes you a favor)
Just have to get an attorney, some money and go to court and then....pray something good will come of it.

Happy fourth of July!

Going to go cook some chickens.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #159
forest-hunter
Eight Point
 
forest-hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin
Hunt In: SHNF
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix40 View Post
I did a ton of hiking and put up a couple trail cameras saturday. Ill go back down and check them in a month and reevaluate. Hoping to get an idea of what bucks are in the area and how deer are using the funnels I found. Itll be fun to watch them for the next three months.
Cool man, I did the same last week. Welcome to the sam
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #160
forest-hunter
Eight Point
 
forest-hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMag View Post
Better pray those cameras are still there. IF.... i set one out, it gets a week tops. My pockets aren't deep enough to gamble. And i wish bucks found right now would still around. We have a nice 10 running around dad's property that I'd love to drop, but know he won't be around come gun season. Bow season maybe, but on such a small area to hunt, I'd rather try to DRT him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I haven't lost one yet keeping fingers crossed I'm leaving them out there full time. Got two and want more.
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #161
BowOnly81
Pope & Young
 
BowOnly81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Trinity, TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately there isn't anything anyone can do except pray. ( Unless anyone has a bunch of money or an attorney in the family that owes you a favor)
Just have to get an attorney, some money and go to court and then....pray something good will come of it.

Happy fourth of July!

Going to go cook some chickens.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Prayers sent my man.
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #162
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowOnly81 View Post
Prayers sent my man.
x 2. Hang tough, bud.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #163
forest-hunter
Eight Point
 
forest-hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Heres a pic of a sam doe drinking from the creek.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #164
BowOnly81
Pope & Young
 
BowOnly81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Trinity, TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Cool pics FH. 3 more months!!
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #165
forest-hunter
Eight Point
 
forest-hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin
Hunt In: SHNF
Thumbs up

Thanks brother will be here before we know it.
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #166
kevin nicholls
Ten Point
 
kevin nicholls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pasadena tx
Hunt In: Who knows
Default

Prayers for you and yours HF. If I can help in any way let me know. I'll send lawyers, guns and money if necessary.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #167
kevin nicholls
Ten Point
 
kevin nicholls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pasadena tx
Hunt In: Who knows
Default

Cool pics indeed FH. It won't be here soon enough for me.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2017, 11:28 PM   #168
forest-hunter
Eight Point
 
forest-hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin
Hunt In: SHNF
Thumbs up

Thanks Kevin and Damian I hope things work out for the best for you brother.
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #169
Felix40
Ten Point
 
Felix40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tyler
Hunt In: Public land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMag View Post
Better pray those cameras are still there. IF.... i set one out, it gets a week tops. My pockets aren't deep enough to gamble. And i wish bucks found right now would still around. We have a nice 10 running around dad's property that I'd love to drop, but know he won't be around come gun season. Bow season maybe, but on such a small area to hunt, I'd rather try to DRT him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I haven't lost one yet but this is the first year Ive run more than one all summer. The way I hang them its unlikely that anyone would see them or mess with them. I've watched plenty of deer all summer and seen them in the same spot in October. Even when gun season starts they aren't going to migrate out of the county. They just go to the closest safe spot they can find.
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #170
gemini2759
Eight Point
 
gemini2759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Texas
Hunt In: Hither and yonder
Default

Is this so the deer won't get lost? White streamers every five feet.Name:  IMG_20170709_165302664_HDR.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  97.6 KB

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #171
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
Is this so the deer won't get lost? White streamers every five feet.Attachment 862024

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
It's kinda like roadside deer crossing signs. It just lets the deer know where they need to be walking so someone can watch out for them.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #172
AJMag
Pope & Young
 
AJMag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Forest service is taking comments on a hydrocarbon well off 1375 between 208 and osborne rd. Looks like it would be visible from the road. Have until around the end of July to comment on it. Hopefully this file attachment works so you can read it for yourself. We may not have much voice against the power of money in the governments eyes, but I'm not too thrilled about the location and the environmental risks. There is a creek over that way, and wonder what any spills might do not only to the forest and the creek, but lake conroe. Think it said they would build another pipeline, but not sure how long, or if it taps into an existing pipeline. How long will it be active? What will it mean for hunting/hunters in the area? etc..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Public Letter with Signature.pdf (1.03 MB, 142 views)
AJMag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #173
BowOnly81
Pope & Young
 
BowOnly81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Trinity, TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Very interesting Andy. I'm against it.....unless I'm the one drilling on it! Lol. That's too close to the house to pass up. But seriously, it'll take away some acreage of hunting but the spills these days are nothing like they used to be. And if the spills do happen they're usually small and usually won't even get thru the pad (made from cement stabilized dirt/rock and is several feet thick) and into native ground. I'd love to see the details about the well plan/formation they're drilling, etc.
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #174
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point
 
hot_rod_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: NC, SC
Default

I am not a fan. I am not one to stand in front of progress, but the SAM should be left alone in my opinion. There is so little land around Houston. This seems to open up a slippery slope.
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #175
BowOnly81
Pope & Young
 
BowOnly81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Trinity, TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
I am not a fan. I am not one to stand in front of progress, but the SAM should be left alone in my opinion. There is so little land around Houston. This seems to open up a slippery slope.
Very much agree!
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #176
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point
 
E.TX.BOWHUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Texas
Hunt In: Texas Public Lands
Default

Well guys I switched jobs this year and have been focusing on other things. I need October to get here soon. I won't be getting into the forest as much as years past because I have a new project. You see I just bought 60 acres in Houston County that will require some time to be invested in it. 2 cabins and a barn. Of course I will make several trips into the forest but I will still have a lot of work to do out there (between morning and evening hunts of course). After 30+ years in the Sam I may actually get something off my own land. If I do I will still be glad to share the story and pictures with ya"ll.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #177
huntinfool
Pope & Young
 
huntinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, Texas
Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
Well guys I switched jobs this year and have been focusing on other things. I need October to get here soon. I won't be getting into the forest as much as years past because I have a new project. You see I just bought 60 acres in Houston County that will require some time to be invested in it. 2 cabins and a barn. Of course I will make several trips into the forest but I will still have a lot of work to do out there (between morning and evening hunts of course). After 30+ years in the Sam I may actually get something off my own land. If I do I will still be glad to share the story and pictures with ya"ll.
Congrats! Nothing like your own piece of ground.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #178
misson1
Four Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Default

Hey guys I had knee surgery can no longer climb have a 15' ladder stand if anyone is interested $50 Obo not on here a lot but I can be reached at 936-537-4808 call or text thanks
misson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #179
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point
 
ChiefWhackABuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntsville
Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misson1 View Post
Hey guys I had knee surgery can no longer climb have a 15' ladder stand if anyone is interested $50 Obo not on here a lot but I can be reached at 936-537-4808 call or text thanks
Sorry to hear that man, best wishes for a quick recovery
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #180
NF HUNTER
Ten Point
 
NF HUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montgomery,TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Good morning, Ladies and Gentlemen. I haven't been on here in a while. How's everyone doing?
NF HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #181
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point
 
ChiefWhackABuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntsville
Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )
Default

Doing not too shabby, just got back from a little scouting trip. How about you?
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #182
Harry
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: In stand on a pine tree
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Anyone have any more info in the lady that was found dead in The Sam after hiking?
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #183
BowOnly81
Pope & Young
 
BowOnly81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Trinity, TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF HUNTER View Post
Good morning, Ladies and Gentlemen. I haven't been on here in a while. How's everyone doing?
Who are you?!?! ^^^^

And no Harry, only that she was found. Sad deal.
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #184
NF HUNTER
Ten Point
 
NF HUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montgomery,TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Lee, Who am I? Lol.......Well I'm NF Hunter. I'm new on this thread.
NF HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #185
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point
 
ChiefWhackABuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntsville
Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )
Default

All I heard was that she allegedly died from complications due to being away from her diabetes medication. But she wasn't without it too awfully long so they are investigating foul play.
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #186
BowOnly81
Pope & Young
 
BowOnly81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Trinity, TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF HUNTER View Post
Lee, Who am I? Lol.......Well I'm NF Hunter. I'm new on this thread.
Hi Bryant! Welcome to the thread. Lol
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #187
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Howdy, fellers. Hope y'all are doing well. I am laid up in bed, recovering from pneumonia. If you haven't been privileged to have had this at some point I can honestly say there have been times over the last week that I would have considered death a more merciful option.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #188
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point
 
hot_rod_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: North Carolina
Hunt In: NC, SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Howdy, fellers. Hope y'all are doing well. I am laid up in bed, recovering from pneumonia. If you haven't been privileged to have had this at some point I can honestly say there have been times over the last week that I would have considered death a more merciful option.
I feel you. I had it as a child and I was laid up in the hospital for about 4 days. I remember a lot of vomit and even my IV came out one night and blood and saline covered the bed. Not much fun.
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #189
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point
 
ChiefWhackABuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntsville
Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Howdy, fellers. Hope y'all are doing well. I am laid up in bed, recovering from pneumonia. If you haven't been privileged to have had this at some point I can honestly say there have been times over the last week that I would have considered death a more merciful option.
Sorry to hear that man, hopes for a fast recovery.
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #190
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point
 
ChiefWhackABuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntsville
Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )
Default

In other news, sat one of the spots I scouted. Saw a 10, 8, a cowhorn spike, and 4 does cruise in together. Hopefully they are regulars and stick around a little longer.
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #191
AJMag
Pope & Young
 
AJMag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Oh look, we get closer to season and the strangers start coming back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
AJMag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #192
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point
 
ChiefWhackABuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntsville
Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMag View Post
Oh look, we get closer to season and the strangers start coming back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I may be a stranger to posting on here, not a big fan of all this computer BS. But I've followed yalls thread since 2014. Just here to put in work and try to make something of the season if that's fine by y'all
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #193
AJMag
Pope & Young
 
AJMag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
I may be a stranger to posting on here, not a big fan of all this computer BS. But I've followed yalls thread since 2014. Just here to put in work and try to make something of the season if that's fine by y'all
Yeah that's all good. I'm actually targeting a few regulars who disappear for 9 months at a time claiming they have a life keeping them busy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
AJMag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #194
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point
 
ChiefWhackABuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntsville
Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMag View Post
Yeah that's all good. I'm actually targeting a few regulars who disappear for 9 months at a time claiming they have a life keeping them busy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Ah okay. I am curious though as to a very general question. Where exactly is your spot so I can bring some corn and my 38 special to take my deer with come Oct. 1st? Just kidding, real question is do you see a big pattern change in the deer on these parts from late summer till the fall bow season?
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #195
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point
 
E.TX.BOWHUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East Texas
Hunt In: Texas Public Lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
Just kidding, real question is do you see a big pattern change in the deer on these parts from late summer till the fall bow season?
Only if there gets to be a lot of foot traffic in the area. Bump the deer setting out or retrieving cameras and their alert levels start increasing. I try to go in the rain or windy days to do as little disruption to areas I hunt. I go as scent free as possible. If I'm in the woods all day scouting and not so scent free, I will stay away for a month so the deer will return to the area and get back to their comfort level. Scouting end for me this month.

The pattern will change when hunters hit the woods. Hope you have a quiet area.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #196
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point
 
ChiefWhackABuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntsville
Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
Only if there gets to be a lot of foot traffic in the area. Bump the deer setting out or retrieving cameras and their alert levels start increasing. I try to go in the rain or windy days to do as little disruption to areas I hunt. I go as scent free as possible. If I'm in the woods all day scouting and not so scent free, I will stay away for a month so the deer will return to the area and get back to their comfort level. Scouting end for me this month.

The pattern will change when hunters hit the woods. Hope you have a quiet area.
Thanks for the pointers, that's what I figured. And I would say they aren't visited much, closest one is a 2 mile hoof in.💀 Fingers crossed one of my spots produces this year, been scouting areas for me and 2 friends since they aren't the most savvy (I'm not too well off either, but gotta fine tune the techniques somehow XD)
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #197
Masmak
Six Point
 
Masmak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Friendswood
Hunt In: Need a place!!
Default

I was told there is a shnf map that shows archery only locations. I can't find it on the web anywhere. can someone send me a link if you have it? This will be my first year hunting the shnf.
Masmak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #198
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point
 
ChiefWhackABuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntsville
Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmak View Post
I was told there is a shnf map that shows archery only locations. I can't find it on the web anywhere. can someone send me a link if you have it? This will be my first year hunting the shnf.
Google "tpwd public hunting map" when you pull up the map, look at areas outlined in green. Then open the legend, and it will tell you that the archery only areas are green outline with light grey lines running across the land. Any more questions on it just let us know again and I'll see what I can do.
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #199
kevin nicholls
Ten Point
 
kevin nicholls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pasadena tx
Hunt In: Who knows
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmak View Post
I was told there is a shnf map that shows archery only locations. I can't find it on the web anywhere. can someone send me a link if you have it? This will be my first year hunting the shnf.
You can go to the National Forest web site and buy a map for $11. It's a better map than the one in the book or on line. You may be able to buy them at the head quarters too.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #200
NF HUNTER
Ten Point
 
NF HUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montgomery,TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMag View Post
Oh look, we get closer to season and the strangers start coming back
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Lol.....Andy Like I'm a stranger. How have you been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMag View Post
Yeah that's all good. I'm actually targeting a few regulars who disappear for 9 months at a time claiming they have a life keeping them busy
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I have been busy this year with the new job and working on that darn race car.
NF HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com