Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 01-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
wacker
Nubbin' Buck

Default Matador WMA info??

Anyone ever hunt Matador WMA for hogs? I see they have archery only hunting march 5-18 but have no idea if there are many hogs on the place. 28,000 acres with a river in the middle of it you would think there would a pretty good supply.
wacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
Hog_Hunter
Eight Point

I have been there and done it once. I saw hogs, but had no luck.

Try posting this in the campfire section. There is usually a group of guys that go out there every year and do it.
Hog_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
peon
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Get on a hilltop and glass until you see movement and go get'em. Been once and fired a couple of shots but haven't made it back yet.
peon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
wacker
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for the info. I thought it would be a fun thing to do and see some different country and give me a break during wife season. I will post up when we make plans and maybe some folks from here will come along and join us at a bonfire for a BS session.
wacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Hog_Hunter
Eight Point

One other suggestion for Matador. Put in for the archery hunt drawing for mule deer. It is an awesome hunt. I drew a mule deer hunt there about 4 years ago and had a blast chasing bucks in the river breaks.
Hog_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

There are some huge mulies on Matador, but with the draw, you get a certain pasture for $150 bucks and you have to hunt that pasture and not the entire place like it use to be. There are a lot of hogs, but they are hard to hunt. Neat place.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

I actually like the way they are running the draw hunts these days. At least you don't have to worry about someone else trying to cut you off from a buck right at the end of your stalk by running across a canyon at full speed at the same time hollering on this radio: " It's a shooter, I'ts a shooter" .

Some people really have no class!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
eradicator
Pope & Young

My father and I went for the mule deer draw hunt about 4 years ago. Neat hunt, lots of deer, and lots of people. One gentleman got lost and they were still looking for him when we left. I never heard how that ended up. Pretty scary situation. It's big country if you're used to hunting around here. We saw several groups of hogs and the old river beds and low spots seemed to hold the most sign.
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2007, 03:02 AM   #9
buzzcut
Ten Point

I've done 3 hunts up there,never saw any hogs,saw several deer though.Eradicator when you say "lots of people", that must have been before they went to the draw system.These days they only allow about 15-20 people per hunt.All the gates in and out have combination locks and they give you the combo number with your permit.Theres some pretty deep and nasty draws on the area...hope that guy who got lost didn't fall into one!
buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
Flint knapper
Ten Point

"A man has got to know his limitations". ( Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry)

The property is only 28,183 acres and has the pease river running through the middle of it. If you are not sure of yourself, I'd suggest taking a GPS to help you get back to your truck.

I believe the guy mentioned made it out OK. Although the people that are running the place weren't so happy about it!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #11
boss bowman
Banned!!!

Yeah a gps is a must out there. I would recommend anywhere along the pease river, we hunted the north middle unit in 2005.
boss bowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #12
eradicator
Pope & Young

The year we went was right before they cut down the #'s. It wasn't a ton of people(especially for public land), but you still had people driving around a little bit. We had a great time and great experience. The buck to doe ratio for the mulies was way out of whack. Has anyone been recently and are the does in check at all. I wish they would have a youth doe hunt or something. We stalked some hogs(never got a shot) and saw a ton of deer. We never found a shooter muley. Good to hear the guy got out. I think they had horses, dogs, choppers, everything looking for him. You'll need a 4wd if you want to hunt the west side. Real sandy.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
Devin
Administrator

I've hunted there many times. It's a beautiful place that's well worth the trip simply for the experience. 28k acres.... that's 44 square miles! Lot of areas to loose yourself. I went many times in the early 90's when I was in school out in Lubbock. Saw a lot of monster muley's back then before they ever did rifle hunts.

Here's some scenic views:

Attachment 12350

Attachment 12351

Attachment 12352

Several of us have done the hog hunt in the past there as well.

Attachment 12354
l to r: Pops (Stan), Archer156 (Kenny), Saltfork (Larry), Devin, Mike Cox

Here's a recap from one such hunt that I had posted back in '01:

Quote:
Friday afternoon we spent scouting and setting up the Pop-off camper. Friday night was spent telling lies while six of us split a twelve pack of beer because nobody knew that Cottle County is dry. The rest of the night was spent trying to sleep while you hang on to the walls of the pop-off camper with 50 mph winds, rain, thunder and lightning. We managed a peaceful nights sleep of about 2 hours.

The hunting was really tough. We split into two groups. Mike, Rudey and I in one and Kenny, Larry and Stan in the other. Kenny or Larry will have to recap their action, but I’ll give you the TRUE story of ours. We spent Saturday morning glassing from ridges into the river bottoms, but with more 30-50 mph winds, it was futile. The only lucky part about the bad weather was that the hard rain wiped out all the old tracks. We cut a fresh set of tracks around 11 Saturday morning, but since Mike and Rudey are girly men, they headed back to the truck for lunch while I followed the tracks up into a ravine. I followed them for about 200 yards until I bumped into the hogs. Most people would think that I spooked them on accident, however I was simply “pushing” them into easier stalking terrain. They didn’t run too far so being the great guy that I am, I backed off and went to get the girly men to come back.

After I held Rudey and Mike’s hands to lead them back to the pigs, I set Rudey up for a great shot on the largest of the pigs, a nice red one that would go about 200#’s. I grabbed my video camera and the hunt was about to begin, until Whistlin’ Mike showed up. As I stated before, he walked out from behind the same bush as the hog was sleeping under and tried to whistle him a tune. The hog was as impressed as Rudey and I were and quickly vacated the area.

Although the stalk was busted, we did figure out were the hogs were hiding from the wind. Not in the bottoms, but up near the ridges on the downwind side. On the way out of our first busted stalk we spotted a nice Mulie on the adjacent ridge. Being the gracious fella that I am I volunteered to put on a stalking clinic and show the girly men how a stalk is supposed to work. I left them my backpack (w/ the video camera inside) and proceeded to hop the cross the valley and stalk to within about twelve yards of the Mulie, but only had my bow. He turned out to be a decent 5x5. I drew on him a few times, but without my video camera, didn’t shoot anything. Needless to say Mike and Rudey were speechless.

The rest of the day was spent hoping ridges in search of fresh sign, but to no avail. During the afternoon hunt is when Mike decided to fatten the pocket book of the nearest locksmith 30 miles away.

Our Saturday evening hunt was interrupted when Ken and Stan located us to tell us that the pop-off camper had kept it’s new namesake and emptied it’s contents around the campsite.

Attachment 12353

They graciously retrieved our belongings and then retrieved us to come inspect the scene. The pictures will explain a little better, but needless to say, Rudey was not in the best of spirits and the lack of cold beverages to rekindle his hunting desires were absent, so we pieced together what was left of the pop-off and he headed back to big D. Mike and I remained along with Kenny, Larry and Stan.

Sunday morning turned out to be clear skies and almost calm wind. A new hunting strategy was in order, but the hogs did not cooperate with the change in plans. Mike decided that the trip would not be complete if a vehicle had not been stuck, so he illustrated an age old truth that if you wait to put a vehicle into 4wd after you are stuck, it does no good. We had to hook up two other 4wd vehicles to pull his Explorer out. We headed out soon after with our tails between our legs, heading back to wetter counties and warmer beds.

The aforementioned is the TRUTH and if anyone else says different……………………….. they’re lying.

It is a big place. Many times over the course of that hunt I had to play navigator and correct Rudey and Mike as they were almost always lost.

Here's locations we've had lucks with hogs before:

Attachment 12355

Archer156 (Kenny Baker) on here lives in Vernon and usually hunts there many times a year. Coachwhip (Staley) on here also has a lot of Matador experience. I'd hit them up if I was wanting some good inside info.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Default 4 years?

Eradicator, you say you were there about 4 years ago? Was that back when they did it by postcard selection and not lottery? I was selected for that hunt the two years before it went to lottery. The second time (the last year they did postcard selection) a guy got lost out there. But I thought they found him that night. Maybe they didn't and I just didn't realize it. It is really beautiful country though. If you wanna see something cool you should take a predator call and watch the mule deer doe surround you, thinking you're a wounded fawn. Unfortunately the mule deer bucks don't do the same. I never saw any hogs out there though I did see a lot of sign. Good luck and have fun.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #15
eradicator
Pope & Young

donpablo,

It was when they did the postcard selection. The guy got lost that night and they were still looking for him late the next morning when we had to leave. I have a whitetail slot on a muley/whitetail lease in Fort Stockton. You're right about the predator call and the mule deer. The guys on our lease all carry one with them and you would be surprised how many deer they call in with it. We saw a couple of sounders along the Pease River in the NE section of the property. I think there was one deer killed the weekend we were there. It's a beautiful place and I can't wait to get back there.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
Jerry D

I've hunted Matador many times and have killed several hogs. I also spent a night in the truck due to sand a couple years back.

Matador is my favorite place to hunt in Texas.
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
boss bowman
Banned!!!

When I was there, the third archery hunt in 2005 I think, only one whitetail doe was shot, but alot of hogs were taken. Its a tough hunt especially with a bow but the scenery was amazing. The first day of the hunt we saw two monster muley bucks, but that was it for mature mule deer. I believe I saw between 80-100 mule deer total, 90% being yearlings, the buck doe ratio I saw was right at 50/50.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #18
eradicator
Pope & Young

Boss,

When we were there it seemed like it was about 6:1. I'm not saying I was looking in the right spots, but mostly spikes and forkies. Have they changed the antler restrictions, or are they the same? We stuck with a spot that was mostly whitetails and a few mulies just to stay away from the crowd. There was one six-point whitetail arrowed. I can't remember if we drew the first or second hunt. Has anyone been on the spring turkey hunt? Seems like a pretty sure thing(as far as turkeys go) if you can get drawn. We saw a ton of turkeys and I'm not sure as to why the limited draw.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #19
piggyBack
Four Point

I have heard nothing but good stuff about Matador turkeys. Supposedly the limited draw hunts in the spring are not meeting the harvest requirements for the WMA and they are foregoing the draw hunts in lieu of just having the aph permit. Seems like crowding could be an issue, but to be able to hunt almost unhunted tukey populations sounds darn good. My grey 2500 quad cab will be there at 2am opening sat in the parking lot close to the gate by the river and private and if you see my truck, please know that i have already found the roost and you can keep goin until you find your own spot. Thank You!
piggyBack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2007, 11:08 PM   #20
buzzcut
Ten Point

Nah piggy,we'll just pay you a "Finders Fee" for finding them for us! I'll leave a $1 dollar bill under your windshield wiper blade as I'm walking out with my longbeard! Now,tell us again EXACTLY where will you be parked.....?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #21
eradicator
Pope & Young

Is that you piggy? I swear by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin. So we meet again. Do you think I could hitch a ride to Matador with you opening weekend? Will your brother be attending or is he going to OK? You can film my hunt for me.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #22
piggyBack
Four Point

Whats up BOSS? Will probably scout matador m,t,and w next week-they will be gobblin and struttin for sure. No thanks on the finders fee. Picture taking takes place in feb and march. seriously guys, please give me a wide berth, just not because i'm phat, but also cant stand someone walking in on my setup. some people just dont have any respect for a brotha.
piggyBack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #23
eradicator
Pope & Young

I take that as no ride to Matador.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #24
boss bowman
Banned!!!

Eradicator in response to the antler restrictions at matador, the buck was required to have at least 4 points on one side, don't know if they've changed it to the 13"/spike rule but it seemed they needed to, and alot of guys complained about that in their exit survey. Nearly all the muleys we were seeing were either spikes or fork horns, we had one guy who could have shot one if they had been legal, I could have shot a muley doe, but they weren't legal either. As far as the muley vs. whitetail population it just depends where you are on the place its BIG, we only saw two whitetails the entire 5 days.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:37 PM   #25
eradicator
Pope & Young

It's 4 points on one side now? It was 3 the year I went. I think they're going the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, we spent one whole day where all we saw was mule deer.(just no shooters) A friend of mine hammered a
180" muley during a rifle hunt two years before I went. That's what got me turned onto it. But like you said, all we saw was spikes and forkies. It sure is a pretty place though.(as far as Texas goes) They need to shoot some skinheads.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 AM   #26
buzzcut
Ten Point

Yeah I was one of those who complained about the 4 point rule.That's why I didn't pony-up the $125 for a permit last year.The people running the place know bowhunters dont stand a snowball's chance in hail of sneaking to within archery range of a mature muley! Lets do some math; if they issue 60 archery permits,and ANY buck were legal,I figure about 8 of the 60 guys will kill a buck,mostly spikes,forks and the odd 3 x 3. Is that gonna wipe out the deer herd? NO!!!! A lot of guys drive several hours,spend 2 or 3 hundred dollars,burn vacation days,etc. only to leave empty handed.I say keep the 4 point rule for the rifle hunters but let the bow hunters shoot any buck.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:51 AM   #27
eradicator
Pope & Young

I second that!! Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #28
Jerry D

They used to allow spikes bucks to be killed and I know of several that were killed. I could have killed a spike every year. They are almost as easy to stalk as the does. You really need about a week to find and figure out the Muley's. Three years ago I missed 2 monster 5x5's. The largest was 34 yards.. I stalked him for 2 hours and had a perfect broad side shot and just missed! I had 8 stalks on mature bucks but getting within 40 yards is tough. A gilley suit is must IMHO for getting close. My cousin killed a 5x4 that year and another guy stuck a 5x5 in our group but hit him high in the shoulder and we never found the buck. That year there were big deer everywhere. Last year we didn't see as many.
My son killed a 11 point W/T on a youth hunt that scored 145" year before last.

Our group has killed 3 W/T over 140"s a 5x4 Muley, 2 spikes and probably 30 hogs in the last 12 years out there.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #29
eradicator
Pope & Young

Do ya'll usually go on the early or later hunts? Ever any sign of rutting activity when you're there? Do you go on the rifle hunts also, or just the archery?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #30
boss bowman
Banned!!!

Quote:
Yeah I was one of those who complained about the 4 point rule.That's why I didn't pony-up the $125 for a permit last year.The people running the place know bowhunters dont stand a snowball's chance in hail of sneaking to within archery range of a mature muley!
Amen to that, I would compromise if they just adopted the antler restrictions some of the counties have, basically it has to be either 13(maybe 15 for muleys) inches inside spread or at least one spike.

Quote:
Do ya'll usually go on the early or later hunts? Ever any sign of rutting activity when you're there? Do you go on the rifle hunts also, or just the archery?
YOU HAVE TO BE DRAWN to hunt there, so you don't get to pick when you hunt TPWD picks that for you. As far as getting in one of the rifle hunts they only draw 12 people every year and thousands apply so basically your lucky to get drawn in your lifetime.

Last edited by boss bowman; 02-17-2007 at 12:29 AM..
Old 02-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #31
Flint knapper
Ten Point

buzzcut I was one of the people that begged the staff of the wma to have some kind of antler restrictions. For years the young muledeer bucks were getting hammered and it was a rare sight to see a mature deer. Those young muledeer bucks are almost as easy as stalking your pet dog and need some time to grow and mature.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #32
buzzcut
Ten Point

Okay how much longer do they need and how much bigger do they have to get?Why haven't the rifle hunters been allowed to shoot a mule deer PERIOD at Matador since 2001? And bow hunters only allowed the "fantasy"of shooting a trophy muley? I'll tell you why.Because the guy running the place,Chip Ruthven,has an agenda...use hunters to help keep the whitetails "beat back" and protect any and every single mule deer.He dont want the muleys shot period!Not now and not in the future.Maybe he's saving them for the non-hunting visitors to look at?Typical TPWD attitude,they tell us "how its gonna be" and we can either accept it or go to hell. 60 or 70 bow hunters on 28,000 acres aint gonna "hammer" anything.The success rate for bowhunting in general hovers around the 4 % mark.All I'm saying is throw the bow hunters a bone and "lower the bar".Otherwise paying for an archery permit on the area will continue to be what it is now...nothing more than an glorified camping trip and expensive birdwatching session.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #33
Flint knapper
Ten Point

buzzcut You seem to have some hostility toward the Matadore WMA area manager. For what reason, I can't really understand.

Quote:
Okay how much longer do they need and how much bigger do they have to get?Why haven't the rifle hunters been allowed to shoot a mule deer PERIOD at Matador since 2001?
You seem to be misinformed about who has harvested animals and when they were harvested and by what means they were harvested at the matador wma.

Yes, They have put in place a horn restriction on muledeer and also a horn restriction on whitetail. So you see, they are protecting the younger deer both whitetail and mule deer.

Yes, they have had both whitetail hunts and muledeer hunts on the matador for rifle hunters and for bowhunters the last few years.

Quote:
Otherwise paying for an archery permit on the area will continue to be what it is now...nothing more than an glorified camping trip and expensive birdwatching session.
I use to hunt the matador for mule deer before it was a draw and yes the hunting was pretty good. Then the place got to be really popular and the place was a mad house with over 200 people on the property during the archery only hunts. During this time mostly 1.5 year old buck were harvested with very few of them being whitetail.

The then area manager decided to use a postcard drawing system to lower the numbers of hunters each weekend which would inhance the overall hunting experiece, which could allow for a greater chance for those selected to actually harvest an animal.

During the next few years, the People that were lucky enough to have been drawn were still harvesting bucks that were 1.5 years old. It got to the point that if you actually saw a buck on the property, it was something to talk about.

The area manager then decided to place an atler restriction on the muledeer and whitetail bucks to protect the younger deer and give them time to grow up. This was greatly appreciated by myself and others that had hunted the area and new of its potential. ( Myself and others of whom I've talked with had requested just such a antler restriction for several years )

During this time there where still people showing up and hunting that had not drawn a permit and when caught by the gamewarden were given a slap on the wrist with a small fine by a local judge.

Right before Chip Ruthven was appointed area manager, the biologist on locatioin decided to put a lock on all gates with a combination that only the drawn weekend hunter would know the combination. At the end of each hunt, they would change the combination on each lock to a new number that would be given to the new arrivals for the following weekend. This apparently worked great, because I witnessed nine trucks trying to gain access to the property before daylight one saturday morning and were turned away by the locked gates.

So you see, the area manager is well informed on what animals are on the property and what numbers can be harvested and still maintain a healthy population and diversity.

The property is first and formost a wildlife research area and secondly an area that the public can enjoy a natural resource.

If you don't want to try for a draw hunt on the property, then that's your business, but don't wine about the rules when the people running the place have a degree that makes them the expert in the utilization of the resource. If you want to put in your $.02 then write the area manager about your concerns.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #34
boss bowman
Banned!!!

Chip seemed very accomodating to the hunters when I was there, I wish more public land was managed the way matador is, instead of letting anyone and there dog shoot these places out, antler restrictions are a wonderful thing, I just like the 13" or a spike rule better.

Quote:
Why haven't the rifle hunters been allowed to shoot a mule deer PERIOD at Matador since 2001?
I have no idea what the hell your talking about on the draw hunt tags the bag limit lists mule or whitetail deer for the rifle hunts, that would REALLY **** me off if TPWD is lying about this.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:59 AM   #35
buzzcut
Ten Point

Alright I'll concede I only looked at the "either sex" hunt category,where only whitetails are allowed to be taken at Matador,no mule deer.I forgot about their "management hunt" category.(whatever that is).But with 10 permits issued and 1800 apllicants...good luck getting drawn for that one! But I'm not here to discuss how they manage the rifle hunts,they're probably about right on that deal.My complaint is specific...the 4 points per side rule for bowhunters is too tough! Its unrealistic BS! Even for a veteran mule deer/bowhunter.I would be curious to know how many "legal" muleys have been harvested since they implemented the restrictions.Probably zero.Even if they drop it back to 3 points per side the bow hunters still wouldn't have an impact on the mule deer population.But then at least some-one would have a decent chance at getting a buck.It's the same old song...bowhunters being treated like red-headed stepchildren! Just a different verse.Yeah I could cut and copy this posting and send it to Austin but all they would do is forward it to Ruthven.Basically a waste of time in other words.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #36
Flint knapper
Ten Point

buzzcut, I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

As I said before I've been there when any buck was a leagal buck and it got to the point that very few bucks of any kind were even seen much less harvested.

I'd rather get out there and put in my time trying to find a legal buck, of which may or may not be considered a trophy, than to harvest the first spike or four pont that I saw.

You see there is a reason that our sport is called bowhunting and not bow killing!

Good luck
Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #37
donpablo
Ten Point

Default Seen 'em

The two years I was blessed enough to hunt Matador I saw big Mule deer. The first year my buddy blew an easy 30 yard shot at a gorgeous 6 pointer and the next year I found myself in a 60 yard staring contest with a great 8 pointer with a nice ravine between us. That's the year I found out that the Bucks don't always like predator calls. I tried to follow but couldn't find him again. I'm certain that if I had been more careful or cautious, if I'd have only seen him first I could have snuck around and shot him. The year before I began deer hunting there I discovered the place during the archery hog hunt. That year we saw a lot of muley bucks (some 4's and 6's). But my brother stalked into bow range on a nice 10. Unfortunately it wasn't a deer hunt and he didn't even have a camera to shoot it with. But that was when you could roam the place freely. Being restricted to a pasture seems an exercise in futility. If you wanna see big muley's, very quietly and slowly scour the ravines and drainages. I bet you'll see some monsters. Buzzcut, if you go there for hogs, check it out and I bet you'll see them. But I have to agree that the powers that be have killed our chances of shooting the big ones. However I don't think it's the antler restrictions but the mobility restriction.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #38
Flint knapper
Ten Point

When the guys at matador first started the hunting by conpartment, I was at first upset, but then I remembered all the times that I was in the finnal stages of a stalk on a nice buck only to have some guy try and beat me to the punch. Every time all that the other hunter did was to run the deer off and out of the area with neither of us getting a shot.

I even had one guys hollering on his radio where I could hear him across the canyon "IT'S A SHOOTER, IT'S A SHOOTER" as he ran to cut me off from the buck.

So yes the hunting by conpartment can cut both ways, some good and some bad. But I'd rather have an area that I had to myself than to have a bunch of guys running all the deer off that I'm trying to stalk.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #39
donpablo
Ten Point

Default hogs

Flint Knapper, do you do the hog hunt?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #40
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Yes, I usually show up for at least a couple of days.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #41
donpablo
Ten Point

Default Chrysler

Were you there the year my brother and I went up there in an old black Chrysler New Yorker? We came across a road that didn't have a 4X4 only sign and realized after slowly manuevering up and down a few canyons that the sign must have been misssing. Of course after successfully making it through the enire road we decided that if we could do one we could do them all. And we did. Not many people saw hogs on that hunt but they did get to see one of the funniest sights I imagine ever graced such beautiful country.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #42
Jerry D

Flint Knapper, Are you a school teacher? If so, I met you several years back at Matador. I camped under the mulberry tree alongside Kenny, Stan and those crazy old men Henry and Charlie! I believe you and your father were in the big motor home.

I agree with you on all accounts. It is much better than it used to be. I didn't get drwn this year for the first time and I sure missed it.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #43
Flint knapper
Ten Point

I teach science at the local Junior high in Olney.

That was dad and me in the motor home.

Charlie and Henrie both live in Wichita Falls. I see Charlie on occasion. He's gotten pretty good at making flint arrowheads.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #44
boss bowman
Banned!!!

Quote:
Even for a veteran mule deer/bowhunter.I would be curious to know how many "legal" muleys have been harvested since they implemented the restrictions.
We asked one of the other hunters that when I was there. He said the last time he was drawn (don't remember the year he said, it was probably like 5 years ago) there were and 8 and a 10 shot during their bowhunt both monsters, in addition he said he stalked and shot a 9 but never found it, and there was another 8 that was shot and lost. He could have been full of bs though because all that was taken when I was there were some hogs and one whitetail doe.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #45
donpablo
Ten Point

Default Compartment

So do the compartments (combined) include the entire area? Can you still access those canyons & drainages?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #46
Cropduster
Ten Point

The compartments at Matador incorporate all the area in the WMA. Usually they don't place people in all compartments at the same time. The reason for this as I understand is that a person may not like the area that they draw and may like to move to another. Also when one compartment becames vacant, either because someone limited out or just leaves the area, that compartment will be available also.
The people out at Matador try to accommodate those who are drawn as best as they can.
As I understand the point system in Texas. If you are not drawn one year then you are given a point, which means that your name goes in the pot twice etc. It doesn't seem to be the same system, per-say as those in states like Colorado. If this is not correct, then someone can set me in straight.
I basically like the system, even though I haven't been drawn for the bow hunt out there for a number of years. At least you don't have people running all over you when you are hunting and the age and size of the bucks are improving each year.
Cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #47
Huntin Addict
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr and Colorado Counties

My brother and I got drawn for the third weekend of 2006. We saw plenty of mule deer and whitetail, and even taking a shot at a doe, however in the compartment we were in we didn't see any hogs. We got stranded because of high water coming through Salt Creek and ended up spending the night in the truck. If there is any luck in the world I will be back next year.
Huntin Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #48
Aggiewes
Nubbin' Buck

THX for this info
Aggiewes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top