Recommend a beginner's 4 or 5wt fly rod/reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am wanting a probably 4 weight fly rod and reel in probably four pieces that is a good rig for a beginner.
    Less than $200, please.
    Something for fishing in creeks. Multiple pieces for back packing. Small to medium-size bass and same with trout. Fish probably 4 pounds or less.

You can get package deals through cabelas and other places like that for less than $200. They are a decent starter rod to learn the basic of fly fishing on.

Personally, I prefer a 7 wt for bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

click this linky- link
      Can anyone speak for or against this one?

Comment

Check out the TFO fly rods. Several in your price range

Comment

Reddington makes a good rod/reel combo. If I hadn't stumbled on good deal on another rod, I was going to pick one up. Still picked up a Reddington reel and have caught quite a few 3 to 4 pound trout.

Comment

I was in the same boat last year. I ended up with a 5wt Redington Path from Avid Max Outfitters. It was $176 shipped with prespooled reel (Backing, Line, and tapered leader), 4 piece rod, and packable case. It is not as smooth or tactile as the higher end setups, but it was good enough to get me ADDICTED to fly fishing. Landing that first rainbow on a light weight fly rod was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life!!!

Practice, practice, practice BEFORE you go and you will have a blast!!!

Comment

A piece of advice, don't get too hung up on the reel.

As said above, reddington also makes a decent, affordable rod and reel. In my experience the finish on the reel isn't as nice as other brands, but it hasn't kept me from catching fish with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I carried a Cabelas Stowaway rod (5 pieces) on parts of my AT hike last summer. Its a cheapy, but it packed down small and light. It was cheap enough hat I did not freak when tip snapped, I just reattched the tip eye after removing the broken piece of the rod. I agree with SoTxAg06 on reel...don't get too caught up on that.

Comment

Experience unmatched performance and affordability with the Encounter® Fly Rod Outfit.

That's what I started out with

Comment

Originally posted by ckat View Post
                    I was in the same boat last year. I ended up with a 5wt Redington Path from Avid Max Outfitters. It was $176 shipped with prespooled reel (Backing, Line, and tapered leader), 4 piece rod, and packable case. It is not as smooth or tactile as the higher end setups, but it was good enough to get me ADDICTED to fly fishing. Landing that first rainbow on a light weight fly rod was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life!!!

Practice, practice, practice BEFORE you go and you will have a blast!!!
                    Living in Llano, there is a section of the Llano River below the dam at Robinson park that has little rivulets running through it with aggressive Guadalupe bass that I would be able to get virtually endless practice in.

Comment

The TFO's are nice for the price. I would recommend going long on rod with your budget because that is where all your performance is. The reel is little more than an excess line storage device.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                        This right here! I warn you though, DO NOT BUY A FLY ROD/REEL unless you are prepared for a great addiction!!! If you have an Orvis store in your area, just stop in and talk to the folks there. If they work in an Orvis store, they will be competent to help you get started.

One thing to consider (of about a Jillion other things) is if you plan to fish near or around timpber/trees, that 9 foot rod might be a bit long and might want to back off to a 7 or 8 footer... no shorter than 7'. You don't cast the lure, you are actually throwing the line. You don't even need a real leader tippit to practice casting. If you can find some old Left Kreh videos, he's the guy who taught me to cast, and he has a very easy to understand methodology to casting that will save you a lot of frustrating trying to use it like a buggy whip.

Good luck, but as I stated above, be fore-warned about the addictive nature of fly fishing... Next step is to start tying flies... that Orvis store will hook you up good there too!

Comment

What I have in my mind, for some reason, is a 4 weight 7 foot 6 inch four-piece rod. Something that I could use with tree overhang.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                            What I have in my mind, for some reason, is a 4 weight 7 foot 6 inch four-piece rod. Something that I could use with tree overhang.
                            Yep, I have that set up. I actually just bought a cheapie reel and rod from either Academy or Bass Pro years ago, and that little sucker has caught a bunch of blue gill, bass, crappie, and even rainbows up on Oil Creek in PA... That's also an easy one to learn to cast with.

Comment

There's an Orvis store in Austin.
                              Thanks for the tip. That's probably the best place to start.

Comment

Working...
                              X